New server will have instancing :)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zephyroth, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Vaclav Augur

It's around the 45 min mark... I'll rewatch and quote verbatim in a sec....
  2. sihpa Augur

I'm wading through the trolls currently looking for the link to the podcast so I can listen too :p
  3. Vaclav Augur

Ugh - pausing Twitch apparently takes forever to restart.... this sucks... I'll look for a few key ones instead of quoting the whole section verbatim.

46:15 up through a stretch, just saw elsewhere a quote that up around 55:00 there's some more too, I didn't listen to that earlier.

Apparently can't link the link here without it converting it to something broken - looking for another link...

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ansion-livestream-thurs-oct-1-3pm-pdt.227003/ has a link towards the top of the page that'll take you to it.
  4. sihpa Augur

Gracias amigo :)
  5. Syrup Augur

It means exactly what it says, you don't have to translate anything.

You can agree or disagree with the narrative.
    Your attempts to spin, misrepresent and flat out lie through your teeth in this thread were pathetic.

I like how you claim i'm deflecting, when you spent the last 2 pages talking about GoD and project 1999.
    I don't blame you for avoiding the topic, instancing, because you really have no ground to stand on.
  6. Vaclav Augur

What am I misrepresenting? You said that statement which I take to mean that past GoD was "past it's heyday" and I take "past it's heyday" to mean it was on a downward trajectory of little value.

Hell, just because you've annoyed the out of me on this - I even got a retired English professor on the phone to translate what you said (my mother-in-law). She takes it that "he feels very negatively of anything past that GoD thing whatever that is... is this some sort of religious discussion?" (followed by some babbling about it being weird to use god in the past tense before I cut her off)

Frankly, for my reason to be pro-instancing is short and simple - it prevents negative players from impacting others, period. Scheduling is a nice benefit for some as well (something most of my friends would appreciate from instancing).

And both are indisputable facts - me and my friends almost all have kids of varying ages as well as careers that demand our time and cause us stress already - we don't care to generate more stress in a game over limited content, we don't care to have to push other responsibilities to the side to race for content that others will use various tricks to "outmanuever", we don't care to get into nonsense like training others in order to tie them up or force a fail.

And I personally love competition - but only on an even playing field via game terms - not abstract semi-PVP like EQ has. And note: before the PNP went away, I was still kind of OK with EQ's method, since there was at least a loose set of rules that kept things rational. But without the PNP, EQ's method in early content is ludicrous.
  7. sihpa Augur

So lets see from the stream I took away,
    1.) Boxing restricted to 1 toon per computer but you can set up multiple computers so that you CAN box.
    2.) Instancing of some sort - though what is going to be instanced exactly im not positive about.
    3.) Voting for initial server name. The team was thinking Noboxxulous might be appealing :p
    4.) Likely no vote required to unlock expansions. It will be on a simple timeline not subject to change.
    5.) Grand opening tentatively at the end of this year but there was some groaning from the team over that claim. Understandable imo considering the scope of the project coming on the heels of an expansion release.
    6.) producers are said to be behind the idea of a TLP server free from their influence and are in contact with the EQ dev team.
    7.) A ruleset, from the start, that is more blatant. I took this to mean that if its said to be X month unlocks then X months it is etc. I heard no comments on GM presence so dont take this statement as such.
    8.) Less flippity floppity, hopefully, regarding the rules.

I may have missed some other things but this was the general summary.
  8. Vaclav Augur

Basically correct, just on #3 she means real raid instancing - I think she said as much in the stream, but she's clarified on Twitter previous to the stream to mean raid instancing.

Also on #6 [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] (Or Is-Boxer as she referred to it) is supposed to be on board with disabling it from their side as well.
  9. sihpa Augur

If everything goes through then this is shaping up to be the TLP ive been waiting years to play.

I do think the timing of release is going to cause issues though. They're undoubtedly going to take players from the current TLP's for one. Also there are a lot of people out there that are likely unwilling to reinvest after the latest go around and, maybe if they held off a while, time would heal those wounds.

Another way they could reach out to the lost players is by actually advertising for this TLP with a letter of "lessons learned" or "we hear you guys about X Y Z and thats why we're doing A B C this time". Regardless I think a small bit of advertising, even just a simple email, would go a long way as long as they acknowledge the lessons learned.

An email with a simple "new TLP opening come play" wont cut it imo. It's a case of "ive heard that one before" and details regarding why this one will be different is pretty much a must. No need to donkey kiss but a little acknowledgement goes a long way with most grown ups. Failure to own past mistakes translates to a general sense of unprofessionalism imo.
  10. Eliseus Augur

QFT. Can't agree more. Sadly I wish they were somehow able to remove boxing even from other CPUs, but then that will somehow hurt the people who are playing with their wife and 43 kids.
  11. Gwoben Journeyman

If they can deliver what they promised about both kinds of 3rd party software then this server should not have any longevity problems. Raid instancing and removal of votes is a nice bonus but it is not nearly as important in my opinion. I just hope time lock is not too long, hoping for not more 3 months after defeating all raid targets.
  12. Gwoben Journeyman

One thing I would love to see on new server is corpse runs starting with lvl 1. It was stupid how everyone attacked guards to get ported to bind or to get full mana instantly until lvl 6 and do all the stupid things on higher levels because there is virtually no death penalty, especially on max level.
    rekais910 likes this.
  13. sihpa Augur

I forgot to mention that there is an upcoming developers round table where more input from players regarding their new expansion and the new TLP can be given. I'm not sure when, or how, to get a seat at the table but that is at least one more opportunity to bring up issues and promote ideas to the dev team before 4.0 launches.
    rekais910 and Gwoben like this.
  14. -wycca Augur

Sure, P99 has its appeals.

One of the downsides of P99 is the long history of GM corruption and bribery.

Derubael, the most recent busted GM, would ban people he claimed was RMTing, and strip their accounts for selling. He'd also give spawn timers and info to Blue99's #2 guild in exchange for Amazon gift cards. That guild would completely not track targets or leave a token force and no FTE team, then 30 min before a mob popped, suddenly their entire A-team would login and know exactly when to go. This fake banning, stripping, etc behavior went on for so long, that only an IRS audit and some phone calls by IRS agents to Rogean busted him out.

Then there's Sirken, the only GM left after Deru got caught. The guy likes attention - nice enough though. He's a pothead who may not hold a job, who hosts a weekly twitch stream, and regularly features people who are his buddies. He just happened to suggest they join forces after their guilds were failing, in order to be the new dominant guild. In case you guys don't know what P99's raid scene is like, it's all just a bunch of rules that lead to petitionquest. People fraps everything and petition for rule breaks. Guilds constantly try to pull stuff. These petitions with evidence stack up and Sirken rules on them. Unfortunately, Sirken ignores the blatant rule violations of his buddies in the guild he helped create, but meanwhile rules favorably on laughable petitions against their competitors. He destroyed the top guild on the server in this manner so his buddies could take the spot. At this point, it's basically the GM's pet guild zerging everything while competition is held down through petitionquest bans and such when necessary. Oh, the servers largest guild is run by a sociopath.

So yea, great raid scene. PS no rotations, competition so fierce FFA-style that it makes TL and FI look like utter incompetent noobs.

Then there's the little fact that it's very classic. Not necessarily bad, just not what modern WoW kiddies expect. Also, monopolization is worse there because there are no instances. Old mobs have 32k hp, they die almost instantly. Additionally, you're stuck in Velious...forever. No Luclin, no PoP, etc.

I put 18 months into P99, I helped run guilds, I helped manage a horrible player-run rotation. In the end it was the GM corruption and stopping at Velious that led me to this round of TLP's.

So yea, grass is always greener, go for it. :rolleyes:

PS - Yea, P99 is better about boxing by far. It also is better about RMT in that it isn't openly tolerated, but the whole ban your toon just to strip it sorta left a rotten taste about the whole thing.
  15. Hefeweizen New Member

I require proof! Though it's very intriguing. Is there a link to someone outing Derubael? Or Sirken? or anyone?
  16. Raynard Augur

I am super excited about the new server as described in the stream. It has everything I hoped for: real raid instancing, strict time locks (no voting, no kill requirements), and of course limited boxing/botting.

I really hope they deliver the server as described before the end of the year. I couldn't deal with the bat phoning and drama on Lockjaw, though I was committed to leveling along so I could start playing seriously with instancing without a huge burden to play catch-up. With the new server, I'll be able to enjoy the entire game with set raid schedules and without all the drama.

As someone pretty active in the self-enforced progression scene in the recent past, I also hope they add the instances to Live servers! It would really make the whole process easier, removing the need to fight with high level farming and even bringing back raid encounters like Veeshan's Peak or Sleeper's Tomb that have been revamped out of access for their original eras.

Overall, I love the increased attention progression has gotten since Holly took over, and am even more encouraged by the team recognizing that they won't be able to please everyone with a single server and that over-polling and rule changes mid-server should be avoided at all costs. I hope the team also recognizes that things like the damage bonus tweek also fall into this category. Unless you are prepared to carefully re-balance the classes through all level ranges, it's best to leave things alone. With clear rules and timelines set from the beginning and the reduced guild drama from raid instancing, I really think the server would be set up for long-term viability and I look forward to running all the way to Live on the new server.

Anyway, thanks EQ team, and see you on the new server!
    Terranos and oldkracow like this.
  17. Terranos Elder

We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good here.

They can't make a server that will keep everyone happy, but if they can make one that is better than the current ones then we should consider supporting it.

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more info and will most likely end up playing on it even if it doesn't tick every single box on my wishlist.
  18. Sarl Cagan New Member

Syrup.

I finally registered a forum account just to let you know how awfully pathetic you are. I've never seen such unadulterated butt_hurt and raw display of pure poop_socking neckbeardism than your arguments against instancing. What the are you? The proverbial fun police? Do you honestly believe you represent the majority of the returning player base? Is the only source of dopamine left in your life your ability to out neckbeard the rest of us?

Some of us aren't our 15 year old greasy selves that could play all day and ignore real life in order to get X spawn. In fact I'd go out on a limb here and bet the family farm that most TLP players are returning players wishing to relive the good parts of early EQ. With their friends. Their friends who also likely don't happen to be elite poop_sockers. you and your batphoning . You represent a sliver of the pie, but speak like you're pacman.

The out of here.
    toddv and Merau like this.
  19. Jaxarale01 Augur

No leg to stand on...
    History lesson inc...

Before 3/4 of the people posting now were even posting (before server launch) there was a thread that was 6 to 1 in favor of instancing.
    (Anecdotal I know but there is more)

After the "instance content is not classic" line there were literally hundreds of posts on any number of threads pro instancing.

Then there was the 100 page thread of 131 pro and 18 against. (Ancedotal but relavent)

There have been off site polls and thread after thread calling for instancing... but all of that is just fluff.

The meat and potatoes is this...

They said a second server couldn't be done.
    They said a log in queue was impossible.
    They said load balancing high end zones couldn't be done.
    They said load balancing planes couldn't be done.

All these things were done due to a massive amount of feedback and it was financially a win for DBG to do so.

How many request do you think it took to get them to not only start a new server but to put "too much work" into it and make it instanced?
    I would say a flood of requests...

End of the day, using logic, there is no way you could think they are doing this if they do not think it will make them money... and lots of it.

Take the next step... only way they could think that is if there was a massive amount of support for it yes?
    Finley likes this.