DPS (Rog vs. Wiz) - Dev Opinion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by RoguesOwn, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Vlerg Augur

rogue and zerkers sure were owning up all of CoTF, with everything being AoE friendly. those 60 second AoE parses were pretty much the norm in CoTF...bixie 2 and ToR being the exceptions. Necro AE power is basicly inexistant. mages took a large hit with the beam nerf while wizards relative AoE power isn't half what you'd expect it to be. That's a niche where rogue and zerker own.

there's 5 pure DPS classes ( necro, mage, wiz, zerker, rogue)... 6 if you add in monks. so top 3 is a kinda large margin.

I'm not sure how you guys do TDS5, but over here the necro don't have much time to spend on calix . atleast not for the first 40% of the fight... if you don't like TDS5, they pull the same stuff on TDS2 and 3.
    i'd really like to have a Enkel comment around here about how mages used to perform pre-rain changes aswell.

We get that these event in TDS range from unfriendly to melee, to a complete joke (TDS3)...that's not the point. Melees are getting buffed next month. We can expect new stuff ( AA or abilities?) comes next expansion and if these raids include a modicrum of AE'ing, then the balance will be screwed the other way; it's almost EQ signature at this point: overnerfing/overbuffing, never getting the right middle. So, could we please wait for the next month patch, see how things goes, before comparing a current, possibly underperforming rogue in a melee unfriendly envrionnement against a top-notch wizard who's likely getting out-of-group support? Casters already had chromatic haze nerfed to oblivion, mages rains got destroyed. Necro still fears their epic will get nerfed while wizard merely hope that when claw get nerfed, devs will remember how quickly we burn through a 130k manabar.
  2. sojero One hit wonder

Game update notes march 2013
    - Removed NPC on NPC melee "push". NPCs can still move players and players can still move NPCs.
    Iila and Sancus like this.
  3. Kaliko Augur

As annoying as it is, I can still see all the mobs easily because I scroll out and play in third person looking at an angle overhead the mob. But it would be nice if swarmpets had a shadowman mode.
    Ruinedmyownlands and Zarakii like this.
  4. Zarakii Augur

cant tell you how annoying bard pets get on raids like arx3 when you lag as is... that is freakin brilliant
  5. Shiea Augur

Rogues seem to be the class that is seeing the most benefit out of the test changes, with an 82% boost.
  6. Bahdah Augur

7. Zarakii Augur

think he ment zerks =P
  8. Slasher Augur

9. sojero One hit wonder

Rogues are getting 74% Zerkers are getting 82%
    Fallfyres likes this.
  10. Reval Augur

what % do all the melee and hybrid classes/tanks see?
  11. sojero One hit wonder

66% for tanks/monk/ranger, beastlords I believe are 74% with rogues.
  12. SneakyFast Journeyman

1. OP opens with complaints on rogue dps
    2. People question his use of certain events
    3. People reply with the gid gud newb
    4. OP responds with "I've been competing before you were born" rebuttal
    5. Mills starts trolling with his sustained/burst argument
    6. Ice-cube gets a headache.
    Sancus, RPoo, Beimeith and 5 others like this.
  13. Random_Enchanter Augur

You left out #1.5) People point out that rogues are getting a DPS boost and #1 is useless to make right now
  14. ~Mills~ Augur

The biggest threat to necros is some classes keeping their burst advantages but then also being allowed to get close enough in sustained that creates situations where most guilds now have dps levels that make everything either a burst event or a mid duration event that never allows for or just barely allows for sustained classes to catch up. IE going back to when they were lucky to have 1 or 2 events friendly or looking at how bad TDS is for burst classes in regards to parses, even if the important aspect of each raid revolves around burst dps in many cases they just don't brag about it because of combined parses hiding it. The solution is not to make burst classes as good or close to necro sustained its to make more burst friendly events or take away the 100% or more burst advantage some classes have before then giving them 50% more passive sustained. Otherwise as I said in other threads its unfair to the other dps classes who can't burst nearly as well as the top 3 which is always useful even if its not shown in every parse.

A big part of the issue with TDS is its super unfriendly to melee and only mildly unfriendly to casters at times. So you don't compare the two dps types and just ignore that, the current melee changes do just that. You also don't ignore that 1 class being good at everything isn't a model to copy making that problem worse by now having 3 classes who can do it all. Leaving the other dps classes stuck doing either burst or sustained well but not both or doing neither particularly well.

I can assure you if as expected we now get three burstained classes instead of 1 and events start becoming much shorter because of it watering down the benefit that sustained classes provide. We won't then see sustained classes getting 50-100% passive boosts added to their burst so they can become competitive. We would get the same people saying its ok for their class to do both well now saying if you wanted to do both burst and sustained well you should have picked my class, its not fair for a necro or monk or mage to burst well even if suddenly all events were burst again and combined parses for events or the night showed them 50-100% behind in total damage done.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

Sorta off topic but I've found having the npc marked helps alot during this, as it seems to be a more visible (and unmoving when MA changes targets) target circle.

As a tank I find it very useful to have the mob I'm tanking if not in a well cornered place marked since I'm always shrunk and pets are larger than I am.
    Ruinedmyownlands likes this.
  16. RoguesOwn Lorekeeper

Actually was not trying to bring up DPS just total damage which with other parses shown still show a huge gap in faster time periods. Still 1.5:1 - 2:1. Thats all. After 2 mins the ability for rogues to compete drops. This is with all DPS playing at thier 100% and with correct group make ups, which we all can't say.
    Brogett likes this.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

They're working on sustained for melee dps according to test notes. Hopefully that resolves your issues whenever it's ready for live.
    Brogett likes this.
  18. Taiqwon Augur

Hilarious.

Like monks do anything other than dps. Or at least used to.
  19. ~Mills~ Augur

Normally whatever the ratio was in that regard was burst classes verses sustained classes. Burst holds many advantages over sustained even though people just dismiss this fact lately. Sustained classes did higher levels of sustained as a tradeoff for doing less burst. When there are to many burst situations sustained suffers. Where there are to many sustained situations burst suffers. In TDS compounding this fact is melee suffering more from various event scripting or situations, making ranged dps or casters suffer less. Compounding it even further the past few years is the caster burst class gets to sustain as well as a sustain class out of now where.

In the past the caster class would have been addressed.

In the past when one side either burst or sustained got to many events the devs then tried to add more of the other type next time to even things out. Most times they added to many of the other type pushing things to far in the other direction. They didn't add 50% burst to necros and mages when there was more burst in the raid game. So they shouldn't add 50% sustained to the burst classes now.

First theynneed to fix wizard sustained. Second they need to factor in the group game, where burst is king always. Third they need to make sure there are a lot more burst and melee friendly events in the next content release. Fourth they probably still will need to boost up melee sustained more but only slightly, not a 50% jump.
  20. Iila Augur

I dislike this new battleblade as much as the old one.
    Bahdah, Diptera, Sancus and 5 others like this.