Another Mage Thread

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ziggy, May 28, 2015.

1. Ziggy Augur

We have all seen what happened on RageFire with mage box crews etc. Other classes also have more power than they did in classic, but far and away mages are the worst. DBG (and DOE for that matter) have said repeatedly that they cant fix the issue without impacting the live servers. For this reason and to make LockJaw fairer for everybody please --

DISABLE CREATION OF ANY MAGES UNTIL AT LEAST VELIOUS AND ALLOW NO TRANSFERS ONTO LOCKJAW.

I watched a Vox raid today where a full raid stood behind a wall and just used mage pets to tank/damage her. This is ridiculous and wrong - and because I definitely don't want LockJaw to turn into a twin of RageFire just disable their creation. Hell, if I had to wait a week for that to happen I would, but it is the best fix for a huge problem and would require next to nothing in development time.

In before people say "But mages are my favorite class, I always play a mage", first they are lying, and second they can still roll on Ragefire.
  2. Tintaglia Elder

How about just making the earth pet available through X expansion? No need to alienate anybody that DOES like to play a mage, and will still put a dent in the ability to pet swarm content during the first few expansions.
  3. Paydro Journeyman

What's wrong with the existing mage threads?
  4. Ziggy Augur

None of them have put forth this particular idea and LockJaw is releasing soon. A lot of people will appreciate a fresh and clean start on a fair server.

Also, its not just the earth pets, all of them are far better than they should be for classic.
  5. Glistarian Augur

It makes sense. If they can't fix the broken part of the game, just disable it.
  6. thechacko Elder

Let's ban everyone who hates mages.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Then what would we have to complain about on the forums?
    Mages were probably overpowered back then, just people didn't know how to play mages. Now they do. Just like all TLP servers, instead of a bunch of clueless newbs learning the game, everyone knows the game, which makes what used to be hard, easy.
    thechacko likes this.
  8. Fiido Missalot New Member

This is silly to keep attacking mages in the "non-classical progression" server.
    We need to ask the real question.

How much are ounces in Colorado?
    Hendar2 and thechacko like this.
  9. Slasher Augur

When they say they cannot fix the mage pet issues on ragefire without impacting live servers its a lie. They can fix it they just do not have the code time to add exceptions to the pet damage table for progression servers only.
    Brogett likes this.
  10. Uxtalzon Augur

They wouldn't make such a huge decision like that so short of the release, and apparently anything that might reduce income is doubly rejected. It's a moot point.

But the hypothetical: what IF they disabled magicians? What would raid makeup consist of, hopefully more than one melee class?
  11. thechacko Elder

I am in Colorado and depends on which retailer you go to (or dealer) and what region you're in. Most of the areas that are allowed to sell it for recreational use are constantly out of stock so the prices soar. Been trying for months to get employment with one of the shops just outside of Larimer County ;)

Pays upwards to $40 an hour (for entry level!) with car/health/dental/vision/life insurance and some of them are even offering baby sitting benefits. They primarily try to employ veterans though.
  12. Uxtalzon Augur

Sort of like...

13. Machen New Member

Ban mages? But I already have [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] all set up for my Lockjaw mage crew.
  14. Goodnews Augur

15. Jagular Journeyman

Mages are to powerfull atm thanks to their pets but
    i wonder since they cant do anything about mage pets on TLP servers without affecting live servers would it be possible to change the level of pets on TLP servers , i mean so that DB bumps up the pets one level , spread out the pets you get on level 1-8 so instead of getting one each level you get one each other level and then from level 9 and up you get the regualar intervall of pets but your pet is lower level than on live servers , i.e on live server at lev 10 you get the right pet spell but on TLP server your level 10 pet is the one you would have at level 6 on a live server, that will make the pets less powerfull and mages more on par with the other classes.

/J
  16. Ziggy Augur

That wouldn't fix the real issue which is that gods/dragons aren't being killed by players, they are being killed by mage pets. The strategy is basically as follows ...

Hide the entire raid force behind a wall
    Have one person target the Mob
    Have all the mages use target of target
    Send Pets
    Divide Loot

This also allows for the unlocks to happen faster than they would if you had to gear up tanks, etc - you could fight the target naked with no problem. Something HAS to be done.
    Glistarian likes this.
  17. Groans Augur

Heres the thing,

People pay to play, they want to play a mage they shouldn't be controlled by someone else s nerd rage about what class they can play, ever.

I dont play any mages but i have seem them in dungeons they arent as bad as you are painting them, 6 necros would be far more deadly since dots stack now then mages.

People who post this stuff need to stop crying and just enjoy the game, seriously your gonna have a stroke with all this mage envy going on.

The best solution you could think of was to disable the creation of mages? Pffffft.... how about she cast AE destroy summoned when no PCs are nearby. These kind of post are toxic because of the unfocused anger with no real logic or reason behind them.
    Kasuka likes this.
  18. Oberan Elder

Here's my take on mage pets. (and pets in general)
    Pets used to spawn in a 4 level range for the spells (many players would recast their pet spell multiple times to ensure the highest level pet).

A while back they changed it to always summon the highest level pet. What if they changed it to summon a lower level pet on the new servers only. A lower level pet would deal less damage & have less mitigation/hp (especially if its the lowest level pet which would be 3 whole levels)
  19. Numiko Augur

if they banned mages people would just make necro's .. Their pets were cranked up almost as much.
  20. Zanarnar Augur

While your at it you will need to ban:
    Enchanters
    Bards
    Shaman
    Necromancers
    and Monks.

All of which are made overpowered by either pet changes, fist damage changes, or the simple existance of /melody. (and if you don't think melody is that huge, go twist without it for a few hours)

And a harty F-U from someone who played a mage at launch and is playing one again to relive that. I don't have an army, or even play more then 1 character... so how about no. (and remember even in classic, mage pets were strong... heck I use to use mine as our main tank in Solb back before they nerfed it so pets couldn't take aggro if a real player was in range too).