[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and Boxing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by teagray2, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hateseeker Augur

Most people know what it does, and know precisely. You simply believe that you can convince everyone that broadcasting a command to 6 accounts simultaneously isn't cheating because it doesn't automate anything beyond that one command. I'm not personally decided on whether it's cheating, and probably will in fact decide that it isn't, because I could do it too, but your choice to cite the example of sending 6 different /assist and /send pet commands at once is a pretty spectacular thing to behold; it's going to get enemies from the shock value alone (the shock of seeing it in-game, not the shock of you saying it). I think the disconnect between pro-boxers and anti-boxers is that pro-boxers believe they are entitled to control 6 characters with close to the efficiency that they could control one character, and anti-boxers do not agree.

But you're right on one thing - boxing and even this level of macro, have been done for a very long time and no action was ever taken; and while there may have been an uproar a long time ago, it sputtered out. It's a big issue now because:

1. Daybreak decided (rightly or wrongly, they never made us privy to a man-hours estimate, they just said it was too ingrained into the code) not to fix overpowered mage pets, and everyone knew up front this time that they would be overpowered. If they had nerfed mage pets, we'd likely not be having this discussion now. Pets don't use significant mana unless they die and have to be recast, and they regenerate hit points a lost faster out of combat, even in Classic. I mean, you could have 6 wizards instead of 6 mages, but wizards have to stop and med, so it just wouldn't be the same uproar if you had other classes macro'ed like this.

2. The nature of early EQ not being instanced and sardine canned into 3 continents and the Planes, combined with Daybreak's decision to try to stuff 3 times the number of players into one server, puts boxed crews directly in everyone's face. Out of sight, out of mind simply can NOT happen with this sardine canning.
    Riley likes this.
  2. Raytheon Augur

For one, they drool on the keyboard.

[IMG]

They leave your jangly bits unsecured

[IMG]

They are too violent.

[IMG]

They mislabel things sometimes, so you can find stuff.

[IMG]

They are rebellious

[IMG]

and cloud storage is way overrated

[IMG]
    Tour, Gehlfein, Roguewiz and 9 others like this.
  3. Silv Augur

Best thread of the day.
  4. Warpeace Augur

He can't yet because they don't have a honest clear policy other that Piestro's official statement in the forums. Relying on a twitch stream does nothing as it needs to be made official...aka written, because word of mouth gets twisted and warped. People can say what ever they want but implementing it is another thing and it often changes from their first statement. Again its a reason why devs are very careful what they release to the public.

Example Holly can be 100% for making [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] an illegal program for EQ, but Smedly can override her and say no or only if they use it to do specific things or combined with another program.

Personally I would like to see something in writing on the subject to the player base so all the misinformation stops.
  5. Zechs Lorekeeper

hahaha made my eyes water
  6. Txstrmhntr New Member

ffs i just did a test, loaded 3 mages no [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], got them to level 2 got pets. I dont even need the program to click pet attack on each of my accounts (i have 3 28" monitors so its easy to roll the mouse over and click, hell [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] might save me 1-2 seconds by clicking it all at once, and BTW the mages dont have to do anything, the pets are ridiculous, im mowing through yellows and reds by clicking 1 button on each client. My shm/mnk/wiz setup isnt this effective and requires alot more micro managing to be half as successful. Definitely not the program causing the problems, mage pets are broke....
    Adrienna likes this.
  7. Vexen Lorekeeper

I hate to be the person to see the bright side.. That's six more slots open for the next few days. :)

Seriously though, same thing happened to me on a non-TLP server for EQ. I was told that I am responsible for replying to the communications by the GM when they send a message. i promptly told them I don't have to reply to anyone and they promptly told me then my suspension was still for 7 days.

I was a tad younger back then but I understand the frustration when you are running multiple boxes on multiple screens and they send a message to one of the boxes you aren't constantly viewing the chat of. :(
  8. Tamier Augur

There is nothing wrong with saying its a 3rd party program, and it provides an unfair advantage.

Under https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service?locale=en_US&_ga=1.53235304.1972767918.1432522199

In just this part quoted you can find yourself on the above link:
    CHEATING

Maintaining the integrity of the Daybreak Games is extremely important to us. When an end user obtains an unfair advantage by cheating it can ruin the gaming experience for everybody else. You may not disassemble, reverse engineer, or modify any Daybreak Game(s) software in any way. You may not decrypt or modify any data transmitted between the game software and Daybreak’s game servers. You may not develop, share, or use any software, program, macro, or interface that modifies the game play in any way or that gives a user any kind of advantage over other end users, except as expressly authorized by Daybreak. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] was developed by a player, shared with other players, it gives the user an advantage over other users. Just this part alone, violates the ToS. You don't know what you are talking about sir. I've stated my opinion, and it is based on the facts in the ToS. Just because it has been ignored, doesn't make it legal. It doesn't change the ToS. The program, as written by a player, for the use of gaining an advantage over not using it (it's easier than boxing the hard way), is textbook violation of the rules. Yes no-one has ever enforced it to date, i'm well aware of that. Doesn't change the fact that thousands of players are mad they are not doing anything about it. You claim you know what you are talking about, but you never provide any proof. None of you defending it do. You just say its always been allowed so it's legal. No. It's always been allowed yes. For the sake of greed. But it still has never been legal per SoE's ToS, or DBG's ToS. Until they change the ToS, it is, has been, and will remain to be, an illegal program.
  9. Numiko Augur

why u want to ban my 6 boxers ... :oops:

[IMG]
    Roguewiz likes this.
  10. neverrain Elder

My guess, you see the word scripting and assume cheat.
  11. Vexen Lorekeeper

Why do you associate your suspension with a boxer? That is just silly.

You need to petition to get a response from the GMs/DBG. Please don't post on the forums accusing certain players of causing something that it is apparent you yourself do not yet know what happened.
  12. Ghubuk Augur

Its not so much the 2 and 3 boxers that gain a huge advantage (though it is an advantage without a doubt). Its those that box 6 accounts and more where it really comes across more like botting than boxing.
  13. Riley Augur

Their desperation is palpable, at that.
  14. neverrain Elder

This is hopeless. I try to educate and all people see is red. They only see their opinion and can't read and understand anything different even with reason. They aren't doing it, so it must be cheating. FFS.

MODS - Please lock this thread or delete it.
    Adrienna likes this.
  15. Vexen Lorekeeper

I came to this thread ready to make some arguments but could only laugh. Great post. :)
  16. Freki Augur

I will let you play your way, but I will report it. also since it has been stated and i will copy and paste: "3. Broadcasting. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] allows you to press one key and send a single keystroke to any number of open clients. This is a one for one thing. Press 1, send 1, or send whatever key you choose to bind to it. THIS IS LIMITED TO A SINGLE KEYSTROKE. That keystroke can be tied to a macro in game to execute whatever is possible via macros IN GAME. You CANNOT do any scripting or macro work within [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. This is why [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is not considered cheating. It is simply a tool to help manage multiple accounts at once." this is the issue. when you press the ONE key it replicates it to how ever many windows you have, that is removing one set of keystrokes (alt-tab) and press that key again.

what people do and I have been told this by boxers, is that you make a hot key for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,-,= as you wish on each character, and then [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] then takes your one key press and causes each of those specific abilities you wish to activate. this is the automation. beyond that it does not do anything against DBG's eula. but this is what is the issue. if you don't use the replicator then use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]... but you won't because it's just as easy to have "pet attack" on the number one key. or "tab" to target the nearest enemy and have ALL your other characters do it... that is automation. controlling 6 characters with ONE keystroke with a program outside of the eq client.
  17. Tamier Augur

I just linked the rules, it says you can't even use a program written by someone else. Can't distribute it. Can't use it. The whole thing is a moot point honestly.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ty Software]-does-and-what-does.222611/page-3
  18. Master Kahleem Augur

I counted, move along.
  19. 3much503 New Member

I'll do whatever the hell I want I paid for this service and I want to play my game that I just resubbed to yesterday. I was not given a reason to my suspension and I guarantee it has something to do with these multiboxer ban waves..it is not silly when you have nothing to go on now is it. suck on that.
    Tamier likes this.
  20. Maltheus Elder

Has nothing to do with boxing. I was recently suspended for purchasing a Krono. The reason is that the player (or a player down the line of the Kronos life) had actually performed a charge back on the credit card that was used to purchase the Krono. They have some method of tracking and suspended all accounts that were linked to these Krono. You were likely caught in the same mess.

Be HONEST when you respond to them. Tell them exactly how you acquired the Krono. You will not get permanently banned and the more honest you are the more rapidly they will restore your account. The Krono will be gone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.