ISboxing is out of control

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by EQ_Scotty, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seilan Journeyman

I really don't have a dog in this fight, as I'm not even currently subscribed, but how is that video any different from what he said? It looks to me like one real person is doing something and all the puppets are doing it also which would be akin to 1 key stroke = 5 simultaneous commands. Am I missing something?
    Tamier likes this.
  2. Koda New Member

If DBG doesn't see the the long term effects this is having on the community of people who came to Ragefire then screw it, let the server fail.
    Wesleypipes77 and Tamier like this.
  3. Healiez Augur

**One keystroke for one action per character. **

You can do the same thing with a programmable keyboard or mouse, its not exclusive to [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. I know the mouse and keyboard are not illegal because I have specifically asked DBG via E-mail and they said not, because it is still a human at the keyboard, pressing keys to control their toons.
  4. Jezzie Augur

It's been a subject of much debate as to whether or not [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is legal or not check. I'm sick of the subject to be honest.
    Hollys own words (going of memory) "Boxing is good, botting is bad"

I don't see how the OP can say for sure that the program being used in all 3 cases was for sure [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software].
    Maybe it would be better to say that "they displayed a level of automation that I found to be distasteful and am concerned that continued use of such automation will be detrimental to the server that I play on.".

As far as the [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] conversation went I don't remember any member of Daybreak ever contributing to the discussion, maybe that was a mistake.
    Problems don't go away by ignoring them, customers do though!
    Tamier likes this.
  5. Aurmoon Augur

Are you confident that more than 50% of the player base (individuals) play one character and not 2+??? You may find that those playing just one character are actually the minority.

On a related note, why should a separate server be set up for boxers vs. non-boxers? Why not raiders vs. non-raiders? High playtime vs. low playtime? You can't start creating servers for arbitrary criteria such as boxing otherwise you're going to end up with a hundred servers.
  6. Koda New Member

You people just keep citing things like it's going to fix the problem. Have fun when the server is dead. I'm sure your 5 other mages will make excellent company ;)
    Tamier likes this.
  7. Ziggy Augur

Well GM's have said that it is against the eula -- that you need to enter the command on each window.

I have yet to see anything where a DEV said it was ok to use 3rd party programs to help you box, if you have post a link. You wont be able to find one though because it hasn't happened.
    Tamier and O_Castitatis_Lilium like this.
  8. Healiez Augur

The generalized agreed definition of Boxing is a HUMAN controlling multiple toons at once.

The generalized agreed definition of botting is the characters playing themselves, without a human at the keyboard, using a program to play the characters for you.

People use botting and boxing interchangeably, however they couldnt not be more different.
  9. Healiez Augur

Not mages sir, war/cleric/chanter.
  10. Aghinem Augur

I would assume that you have the EQ profiteers out there trying to corner the market to sell their accounts which is why you see all these mages & massive box crews. The moment this server opened up, it just opened up the flood gates of the abusers who ruin it for others; and by abusers - I mean those who steal camps, train, etc etc. I know a lot of people that box that are really nice & genuine folk - then you got the jerks who only want to do nothing else but make $$$.
  11. Rolien Elder

I see a lot of people saying [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is the same as a programmable keyboard and Programmable mouse. I have both can you teach me how to use mine to use it on multiple programs in the background? Because when I have one thing open it only commands the top program like now i can't command EQ because I have it behind Firefox. I have looked how to make my logitech mouse and keyboard do this but I can't.
    Tamier likes this.
  12. Dice Lorekeeper

SoE specifically has put code into EQ client to try and prevent exactly that.

When you hit your keystroke, you are only sending it to 1 client. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] picks it up and mimics it on the other clients.
    Tamier, Koda and O_Castitatis_Lilium like this.
  13. Ferry-Tunare Augur

[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is not the problem. The people who voted for this server are the problem. Man up and take responsibility for your actions. Stop asking for a bailout.
  14. Dice Lorekeeper

I'm sure you are being sarcastic , because there is not a way to duplicate keystrokes to clients with a programmable keyboard/mouse.

You could however use a programmable keyboard or Autohotkey to automatically ALT-TAB between the clients and issue commands to each one. Of course this is against EQ's Terms of Service just as [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is.
    Tamier likes this.
  15. Tronk Augur

No, we can't do this. EQ has to be the foreground application. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] doesn't change that. If you are in EQ, it will broadcast to other instances of EQ, but only if you command it to.

I can't be here on Firefox, and still have it do something in EQ even though I have a programmable keyboard and [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. Since my wife and I are both disabled, these things make it a lot easier physically. However, they don't let us do other things while also doing something in EQ. We have to be in EQ, and making it do things ... which is precisely why it isn't a violation of the terms of service.
  16. Tronk Augur

Rubbish. You can do that easily, and it is completely acceptable.

It's against what Dice wants, and nothing more.
  17. strongbus Augur

i call bull on this one. If you can use a program to hit one key and it activates a macro for each toon you got going, that is the program controlling your toons(the ones in the background that is). You are not controlling them directly. so if you are 6 boxing and only have to hit one key for each toon to do something then that is not 1 keystroke for 1 action. that is 1 keystroke for 6 actions. true boxing is where you do what me and my wife do. I use 2 systems with one toon on each. I have macros setup on box but i have to reach over and hit the keys myself. Or like my wife who 3 boxes in windows mode with one system but 2 screens. she tabs between them hitting macros.

Bottom line. Using a program that lets you give commands to boxed toons that are in the background without having to tab to those toons and hit the key yourself for each toon is not boxing that is botting.
    Tamier and O_Castitatis_Lilium like this.
  18. Numiko Augur

You know these threads are a good example of The Big Lie at work.

If you keep repeating something often enough people will start to believe it is the Truth.
  19. Rolien Elder

I was being semi serious and sarcastic mainly because I would like to use mine to open media player in the background without minimizing.

But Like I stated in another thread I don't know how how [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] works I would need to see a video of it working in action. But from what everyone says it does the same key clicks for each account. People are saying you are doing keystrokes but wouldn't you only be doing keystrokes for the account you are giving the command to? So the other accounts are being automated by a program which is also against the ToS?

So if I say had 2 accounts running I give a command to account 1 to target a mob. Because I gave a command to account 1 account 2 automatically does the same command? Is that how [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] works?
    Tamier likes this.
  20. Tronk Augur

This is what you want it to mean, not what it does mean. Sorry.
    Kaenneth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.