New Progression Server: Plans to Combat Lack of Instancing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Coldsore.Fippy, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

It would accelerate the process of leaving the game by the more casual players. The enforcers would be training, the hard core would be training, and people would be caught in the crossfire.
  2. Jaxarale01 Augur

but but but... its "classic" and we should all embrace it per Roshen!

fing morons work for DBG
  3. Taeluuin Entariel Elder

We feel it's not classsic was a bs copout to be lazy. Just like claiming it was too resource intensive.

With the code from somewhere unmentionable, allotting myself 8 hours per day to 'work' minus one hour for 'lunch break', I was able to instance classic raids in a day, kunark in an additional 2, and Velious in an additional 2. I only instanced the major targets(Naggy, Vox, Planes of everything, Trak, VP, SS, ToV, Kael, Thurg) leaving a ton of open world content out there for to go sock away at while everyone else enjoyed things

I didn't hassle myself too much, used the default /dz timer of 4.5d on all the instanced lockouts, and I oved phinny's respawn to the same, but with a guaranteed drop of 3 class epic pieces per phinny and instanced content..

So, I was able to code instanced classic/kunark/velious singlehandedly in under a week.
    I don't care how much your code has changed, if your team of developers, or a single dev, can't replicate the feat of a college student, you either are lying about why you won't do it, or you need to fire your devs and get some folks that know what they're doing.
    Mhad, Doddil, Soltara and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bandok Augur

So TL splits into 30 mini-guilds using their multi-boxers, and can out-vote any other collection of people on the server?

No thanks.
  5. MaestroM Augur

If player enforced rotations worked, they would have worked.
  6. Jaxarale01 Augur

oh but they did... just ask the devs:

Soltara likes this.
  7. Darth Augur

The devs aren't wrong. They're just archaic in their thinking. The player of 1999 is not the same player you get in 2015.
  8. Hateseeker Augur

That has to be some sort of hyperbole; a raid council would be run by players and players would filter out things like box guilds trying to enter it.

Although...maybe we could determine what the most number of guilds the content can reasonably support, and cap it at that. Anyone who is upset at being unable to join after that can tweet Roshen and Smedley about Daybreak Gaming Company's decision not to do anything about content availability and the infuriating decision to instance newbie content but not upper level content.
  9. Jamz Augur

Sink or swim friends.
  10. Bandok Augur

It's only somewhat hyperbole. You think blocking out a box guild that could actually complete the content wouldn't upset that boxer? Blocking out several of them? They'll just become as annoying as the "raid council enforcement crew" would try to make theirs. It just falls back to the Mutually Assured Destruction issue that we keeps coming up.

If you cap access, and other people can't join, then they're going to do whatever they can to get access. Then when you start training them or whatever, they'll have an even stronger petition ("such-and-such people wouldn't let my guild on the council/rotation, so we did what we could to complete the content. Then, they started training my guild at every opportunity. This is harassment, and needs to be stopped.")

Now, whether such a petition would get a response or not is another question. But you're creating a situation where a late-but-severe response is basically being begged for.
  11. Hateseeker Augur

Right, but Daybreak's response should not be to come in and say that everyone should share loot, which, if spread across that many players and boxes, would result in individual characters getting loot very rarely*; their response should be to do something about the content availability.

*If we ignore major nameds, and consider just visible slot planar gear, can Hate and Fear accommodate loot needs for say, 12 guilds with average 40 active players (I'm just making that up for a clean number to work with)? I've been messing around killing stuff in Fear with my old 86 warrior from a few years back, and if the drop rates on good stuff I'm seeing are true on TLP, I mean I'm not taking down numbers to do statistical analysis so maybe the gut feeling it's giving me is wrong, but doesn't seem good. Of course I've got to factor in the wasted BST/BER stuff too...
  12. Merry Elder

bleh, just noticed I forgot one again one word lol... edit button nowhere in sight either.
    But yea... I still don't see a point in "player enforced whatever".
    And I didn't even touch timezones here... say an Euro guild goes bonkers, would U.S. people stay up all night just to harass them? I don't think so.

The only ones who have the power to "enforce" something are the people running the Server and as we know GM staff is more than limited this time around.
    On Fippy I was trained plenty of times just because people wanted a camp and GMs never showed up in time or whatever to help out.
    The only time I actually recall GMs showing up was at raid disputes but that involved a lot more people using the /petition I guess.

I can only imagine how bad it will be this time, but here i'm hoping (stupidly, because I want it to be fun and all) it won't be as bad (fully knowing it will be a living hell and most likely make me regret even trying to have fun with EQ again, though theres no other game out there appealing to me so i'm bound to try...).
  13. Jaxarale01 Augur

When they said, "this player base" I dont think they were talking about 1999... they were talking about the TLP player base. That is why I think they are insane...

Now if they were actually talking about 1999 then yes they are correct, and they are even more clueless than I ever thought if they are trying to use that "player base" as an example.
    Taeluuin Entariel likes this.
  14. Merry Elder

Just to chime in on the drop chances and things... out of boredrom I have been sweeping truh fear and hate a bit recently with my lvl100 mage... actually tried to get the full vermiculated set just for the heck of it for my druid - after 4 full clears of feat I have yet to see the chest piece drop.
    Of course this could just be bad luck and I have seen raids where 2 droped but yea....

On Fippy it took me two weeks of living in Hate to get my Druid that Druid Armor set, my cleric was fully hate geared just after 2 days. (of course killing those red con guys who droped the druid armor was a lot slower than the cleric guys)

In the end it all boils down to the time invested, unless you are really lucky and get a full set in 2-3 raids and i'm not even considering the raid intern competition for the loot. :/

Loot has always been down to luck...
    For example on one of those hate sweeps I did on my mage i killed the Magi P'Tasa PH.. that male reverent dude.. was my first kill in hate that day - droped the earth staff which is suposedly pretty rare of these guys.
    But the "luck" part can be compentsated with just a lot of time invested to camp stuff and even then it can fail...

On Fippy again I camped that Rat guy in The Hole who dropd the healing ranged iirc - been siting there a full week, then grew tired went to bed and let someone else have the camp... obviously the rat poped after i left and when i got back on he told me he got it of that kill. -_-

Sometimes luck and life just sucks. ;)
  15. Darth Augur

On Vulak I had a full set of Iksar armor before I had a full set of in era armor.
  16. MaestroM Augur

What do you bros think of this (from Test)? If every epic target also had a harbinger on TLP 3.0 I think this would help a ton when it comes to increasing access to content. I really think the undead bard model worked really well. Always drop the epic piece + 1 piece of loot, but you have to have someone ready for that encounter to spawn it, would give a bonus to guilds to help out.
  17. taliefer Augur

interesting. should post on reddit or somethin and get the word out, and let people see where you did this,if its true. im sure your post will be deleted before long
  18. Darth Augur

So no help for Necros and Shadow Knight drops in Fear?

No help for Warriors needing Green Dragon Scales?

No help for Bards that need Trak Guts?

No help for Rangers, Druids and Wizards that need Venril?

Thanks Obama.
  19. MaestroM Augur

20. Vasil Journeyman

We are about 9+ months from Kunark. 15+ from Velious, couple years until Luclin etc.

Simply not enough time to implement a few instanced zones.and lockouts.

And like the poster above said, some other folks on the web seem to have no trouble making instances and lockouts work just fine with a small bit of work