New loot system and raids = Horrible

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Drakang, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Doddil New Member

It is absolutely amazing for soloing, but I just don't understand why they couldn't have used the same basic functionality for an area loot feature and just left it at that. Apparently they can link all the area corpses to a loot window so why not just link it all to 1 corpse like every other MMO has the functionality of nowadays. Killing a mass amount of mobs for a drop? Only need to loot one corpse and all the ones near it come up, tie that to the hide corpse looted in case one of your corpses was too far away from the area loot and bam done. No need to try to completely reinvent looting, this is EQ, now a niche game, at this point new MMOs are no longer looking to it for innovation and neither are the players.

And then in groups why not just use the simple Need/Greed/Pass? And my biggest gripe about the need greed system they did use, the master looter has to click the icon to start the need greed process, then everyone pushes a checkbox out of 5 checkboxes (Did we seriously need to have always need and always greed), and even though EVERYONE in the group has already pressed the checkbox we still have to wait until it is assigned to someone, and that person then needs to click ANOTHER checkmark to get the loot, this is incredibly redundant and a huge waste of everyones time.

Then there is the raid environment, attempted to use it yesterday and had it crash everyone in the raid (apparently this is fixed now) at least 3 times, combined with multiples 15 minute unlock waits due to these disconnections and players deaths/LDs, or alt loots. We also had 1 person who was given the loot but didn't click the checkmark because they saw the chat message saying they got the loot and had already closed the loot window not knowing they had to click something only to find the item not in their bag after we had left the zone (hope the petition fixes this but please feel free to reroll if not).

This system at this point is far more trouble than it's worth and I plan just to go back to the old one.
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Crystilla Augur

I do tend to like the easier approach of Want / No (versus need and greed). How do you put something down?

If you put 'greed' because that's what it is, you may never get the item because someone you're grouping with chose to put that as 'need' even if for them it is greed.
    Tyche and Yinla like this.
  3. Melanippe Augur

Nothing like denigrating those whose opinions disagree with yours, eh?

Almost boggles the mind the lengths to which the apologists for Daybreak will go to convince others that whatever the Developers present is not only flawless but that anyone who disagrees has an "attention span equal or less than the life cycle of a fruit fly", which, by the way in optimal temperatures is forty to fifty days. ;)

News flash: It doesn't take weeks or months for a customer to discover that a product isn't what they want, need or had expected. It never has.

Quite simply, players have been looting items from mobs, collecting ground spawns, foraging etc. for fifteen years, rather successfully I might add. To actually think that players are so unable to handle as basic a game mechanic as looting that a new and complicated program must be created to do it for them could be more an indication that the "newer" players require even more "hand-holding" than veteran players ever did. ;)
  4. Derd Augur

Ground spawn and collections are not part of this system unless you have found a way to attack a sparkly you can just walk up and collect away. We had at least a handful of members not even give a minutes effort and decided this system was bad. Yet those of us activly using it are enjoying it immensly. Mostly it proves some hate anything new some like change some just continue hating dbg no matter what.
  5. segap Augur

I think there is some truth to people just not liking change. I also think that the new system fits certain use cases really well and probably fails really hard at other use cases (or at least requires a lot of figuring out the right tweaks to adapt). To further complicate things, people's use cases are not consistent from one day to the next.
  6. Saroc_Luclin Augur

Which is part of the reason why the system is so complicated as well. It's set up to try and be flexible enough to handle as many of those (often contradictory) use cases as possible. Even a lot of the "Just have it do <this>" cases brought up have a lot of pitfalls when you try to figure out how to do <this> programatically.
  7. Doddil New Member

Been trying to use this loot system in a boxing scenario all morning to test it out more, the most efficient way I have found is to just give it all to 1 char that I would normally loot with anyways, I then switch to that char and click all the checkmarks after I've been pulling awhile.

This does seem a little bit faster than having to right click every corpse, but you know what would be even quicker and they have figured it out in multiple different MMOs, AREA LOOT. If I could just right click 1 corpse with my loot toon and hit loot all it would save so much time and hassle, both of these systems are 10 times worse than area looting.

Edit* Except when farming for a specific item and solo, this system works AMAZING for solo farming for something specific
  8. Melanippe Augur

A lot more than a "handful" of players are not bothering with ALS. As for proving anything, all that is being indicated is that some will always make excuses for mediocrity, incompetence and uselessness.
  9. Barton The Mischievous

The new system does take a little getting used to but the time it saves once you get it going especially in a solo or boxed setting is great, groups should work as well if the master looter knows how to use the system. Give your regular group looter a few days to get used to it and play around with it and you should see time savings as well.

After hunting the same mobs for like 10m or so in my boxed group and adding the filter to the items (it still was not as time consuming as looting each corpse the old way) usually always greed on my personal list I hit the set all button on the master looter and boom everything is looted. Unless you get a rare drop and then it is 1-3 clicks pile up 30 mobs let the list populate hit the set all button 3 seconds or less and done after initial set up.

I have not got to play with it in raids but for solo/boxed it is great and if you know how to use it regular groups should be easy as well.
  10. Barton The Mischievous

Once you have the settings and 90% of the drops recorded it gets to where you are basically hitting one button to AE loot. I did some mobs yesterday after about 10 minutes of killing and setting filters which was still faster than manual looting it got to where i was hitting the set to button and no items were left in the group pane and all the ones sent to my personal list auto looted only one mob was different and it was a named with new loot
  11. Battleaxe Augur

I'm nor sure either extreme is fully warranted.

BUT, when people post it's probably a good bet that they are sharing their honest point of view and are not lying.

A player above likes it for soloing, grouping, and hasn't tried it for raiding.

I've got multiple big bags and don't need it for soloing or grouping (its just complicated for no needed benefit) and I don't expect to use it on raids unless officers post the needed setups, instructions, and can deal with those who will definitely struggle with this despite not struggling with looting in raids before this.
  12. Drakang Augur

If any raiders have worked out an easy way to hand the drops on ARX 2 so they go to the designated person easily would appreciate hearing it. Tagging them as free to grab quickest I have seen. Or make the designated looter master looter for that part.
  13. Derd Augur

I did not say just a handful in all of eq. I said a handful in our guild. It's funny in a way, I really never thought the target window was broken, then they pushed this big extended target thing at us... the gall of them! It used to be my favorite new thing they gave us, till the new loot system. I guess there was nothing really broken about medding with a spell book in front of you and listening to hear if any mobs were sneaking up on you either. Or having saved spell sets, why in the world did they make us start saving them when we can all just pick the spells from our spell book and mem them just as easily. The point being, you can use the new loot system or not, one of the really nice things about eq is everyone plays differently. I'm sure if you saw the way I use the mouse for almost everything in game it would drive most everyone else crazy, but It works just great for me.

Are there things that can be improved in the new system, yes sir, having saved sets for different groups would be awesome. A setting that only NO DROP items get rolled and everything else goes to the ML with just one click would be another great addition. As its only been two days.. and I haven't really played but one raid night and one group night, I'm sure i'll find others. One thing someone that just turns it off will find out ... you'll be stopping to loot mobs or leaving loot on the ground, will others happily auto-loot and enjoy the benefits.
  14. Bamboompow Augur

And you are free to continue to do so. The new system is optional and might I also remind you....free. As in you didn't have to pay money for it. If your whole guild says "don't use it" than that's fine too. There are no guns to anyone's heads.You are free to continue on as you have for years and shun something you didn't even have to pay for. There is nothing wrong with being a curmudgeon. Millions of people over the age of 75 can't be wrong, but at least gripe about something that really has an impact.

The gripe I have is people writing it off as bogus 5 minutes out of the gate and than saying it sucks, waste of dev time etc. It is almost a generalization in fact, because until you figure out what it is you actually have, you have no grounds to complain. It can be software, a new look for a car, new whatever that people just take a glance at and than pass judgement without bothering to even turn it on or whatever. This loot system is a convenience. It is not some expansion of the perceived nanny state that has been metastasizing since they did away with the hours long corpse run that will totally change the game. It makes something that is tedious less tedious without removing the tedium (that some people enjoy apparently) as a route to take. More options are good. I can dig out my driveway with a snow shovel and feel good about exercise and lower carbon foot print but it is also good to know the snow blower is in the garage if needed....
  15. Rhymez Thebard Elder

Haters gon hate.

Once you get use to the system it's awesome. It just has a bit of a learning curve.

Even if you still hate it you can opt out of it.

+1 for easy loots tyvm
  16. Battleaxe Augur

/hidecorpse looted
    right click mob, loot all unless there's a loot some one may want and then we''ll discuss it and not have a system dispense it on us.

I'll keep up with the kill rate just fine. (I don't box and or swarm green tradeskill dropping mobs). Should someone join my group I won't be imposing a complicated loot system on them. Should we go from grouping to raiding, to grouping, to a new spot, to grouping with others, what I used to not care about I now do, my system auto adjusts and accomodates everyone.

Dead mob
    right click mob
    loot mob
    Pretty simple, Elegant.

No manual required. Elegant - nothing needed missing/nothing not needed added. A seamless UI tightly coupled to intuitively obvious actions, How most programers do it.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that swarming boxers don't like the heck out of this.If they could have merc AI applied to boxed toons they'd leap at that too. But they are not the only constituency. Nor was failure to address their desires likely to impact the financial viability of EQ like more content would.
  17. Randragon Augur

They created the new loot system so they won't have to do customer service if folks happen to loot the wrong item. If they came to us and said they were doing this so they can delegate some resources to bring more/better content, I think it would be okay.
    But the system is not very raid friendly.

Get rid of the 15 min lockout timer firstly. That's a start.

SMFH. Not sure why out of left field this became a priority.
  18. Bamboompow Augur

[IMG]

Yah we all did/still do that too.There are cases when having the loot tool is nice, since I box. People get you are on a constant crusade against boxing but it is not going away any time soon.

Anyway...

Keep on doing what you do if that is what turns your crank.

I don't get the part of optional that people are missing here. You don't like it? Don't use it. People get that some are just going to get spun up over the mere existence of some things, even if it has zero impact on their play.
  19. Battleaxe Augur

Sure they did. And they did the mount keyring, changes to PoK , and complicated Warrior stances for the same good for the game motives.

There a tendency in EQ to show the world that a given resource CAN do neat feature X. It's a bullet point on the resume.
    • Designed and implemented new feature X.
    Someone already did snow so if you want to spotlight your ability to do meteorological events you have to take on seasonal changes (foliage changes color, trees lose leaves and reqain them, snow patches/rain puddles). Quite involved and interesting but not adding content to the game.

Yes boxers will like AE loot designated items. But IMO EQ does not live or die depending on whether boxers have AE loot designated items.

For the forseeable future I'll need to interrogate players about their advanced loot settings and assist those who just don't get it. It was not needed, a waste of resource with Daybreak being resource constrained and players having less content as a consequence of that constraint, and major inconvenience. And it ain't even a slick version of what it is.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No you cannot!

I got forced into using it tonight as the group leader had it turned on.

Sometimes items appeared direct in my bags other times I had to open the stupid window and click the green tick.

Inconsistencies like this is going to mean players won't get their items.