Delete n reroll ?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Thulgar, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Thulgar New Member

Greetings folks, ty for reading this post.

I'm a old char *as in beta player* come back to way to much new stuff *65 was max level when i stopped playing*. I am so over whelmed that, to play the game doesn't even sound fun cause there's soooo much that's changed since I played my characters I don't even know where to begin, how to catch up, where to fight anymore or what to even ask for help on. Even the zones themselves have changed in look, I don't like how Freeport looks now, looks run down and choppy/bulky i liked how the old one looked.
    The thought of trying to figure out HOW to play my characters, what spells i need to remember or relearn, what gear I should get because what i have now isn't good to what I could have now if i were to start over and learn what works best per class etc. When i use to play, it was about your starting stats, now im told that doesn't matter you can fix them later with gear, really ?
    One of my chars has a water breathing earring, that use to be found in Qeynos hills, that I had literally camped for almost a month before i was lucky enough for it to drop and fighting off KS'ers *that even a word now or possible ?* I mean i have some stuff good some bad gear but mostly if someone that just started had same character and same level, compared my gear to theirs, id be laughed outta the zone because im so far off. Maybe folks would say no no don't delete / reroll, but why not reroll ?

I look at my chars i see years of work into them *for the time i use to play it was hard going* BUT, this doesn't mean I wouldn't delete and recreate in a heart beat if that mean't I can finally figure out WTF to do in EQ now. Its like buying someones account *Ya you could back when i played, n no i earned my account* to a game thats been out for 10years, jump in the game you never played before, and go ok now what do I do. This is where im at, and as I said doesn't make me want to come back and play makes me want to give up on it again because of how many chars i have and how long it would take to figure out what to do.

Please help me with this decision I really can't spend the hours upon hours of figuring out, how each character now works n the things i need to bring it up to par / speed to the rest of the characters in the game, to even be helpful in groups or great in solo-ability, please obi-one's your my only help.....<== Ya I went there lol

So here is my question. Do, i consolidate all my assets from all characters, and try to sell them on the bazaar, and then remake 1 character and give him / her all my platinum or just reroll all the characters, buy character slot expansions *if i still want that many* and start from scratch.I know i will get folks that say, just reroll and give me all your platinum or just leave the game don't come back cause its to hard to figure out / answer you, but please don't comment and waste your time it will be ignored anyways. Ty all for reading, understanding where i might be coming from and for any or all the help you can offer....

Below is my char lists: on Xegony Server.
    Laceandcurves lvl 16 Shaman
    Markem lvl 25 Enchanter
    Nyghtowl - lvl 37 Rogue
    Redaura - lvl 43 Monk
    Silkiest - lvl 52 Cleric
    Teger - lvl 42 Bard
    Thulgar - lvl 51 Warrior
    Wiinter - lvl 65 Druid

Thulgar Gemblades
    *To get old means to never have to learn something new,,, wrong*
    Hawklight Yandli and Cazmac like this.
  2. Crystilla Augur

If I can ask, exactly what decision are we helping you make? I read the post but am confused a bit.

Are you asking

a) should we help you narrow down your classes to just one or two to play OR do you want all of those classes to be played and we have to share how to play each of those classes?
    b) I get you're asking if you should reroll (most of what you own probably won't sell for much in the bazaar, because as you said today's level 1 gear is much better).
    c) the game is free now up to level 90/95, so it doesn't hurt you at all other than time to just log in and make a character to see.

There are also options of making a heroic (level 85 char). That probably isn't the right choice for you, but you can boost one of your favorite chars below to level 85 which allows you to start joining in with players at max level. (Just wanted to mention it since you've been gone so long).

There are also mercenaries now - so you can pair your characters with either a healer (cleric) merc, a tank (warrior) merc, a melee dps (rogue) merc or a caster (wizard) merc. They make getting things done a lot easier if you can't find groups.

Joining a guild - one guild in particular (The Eternal Darkness on Rathe server) is incredible for new/returning players. It's not worth you spending $ to transfer a character there, especially since in a couple of weeks you could outlevel your highest character with the way things are today. (I know that may be hard to hear - but SoE purposely has tried to make things as easy as possible for folks to catch up to others if they choose). The guild I mentioned has folks from level 1 to 105 and from what I've heard they are really helpful and could be good for you to try a new character with them to even see if you want to play.
  3. Thulgar New Member

Ty for the reply Crystilla, I appreciate the needed info and the desire to try and understand where im coming from.
    On that note, i am kinda happy and sad at the same time, that SOE made leveling as you said alot easier then it use to be. To be up with folk's level now that are playing in only about a week or so, does give me hope that maybe deleting and rerolling my chars might be beneficial and I won't lose out on much. But on the other side, as you said the level 1 gear is far better then what i have now and thats kinda a smack in the forehead because of the time it took all those years ago to get where I am lol, but as you said, faster and better now, especially with the help of mercs.
    I don't require help to play my characters, just information. I have never been one to ask someone to hold my hand. If i go some where, and die, well i learned not to go there again, i do everything I can myself its better for me and more rewarding in the end, but also gives that *connection* to the chars I have which makes it hard to change what I have lol.
    The game being free till 90-95 I didn't know, so I guess I can answer your questions to a,b,c.. I honestly want to reroll because of how hard it will be to figure it all out again. And the classes I have listed are ones I liked playing over the years i use to play so I want to keep them, which means I will have to buy 4 char slots more which is ok. You mentioned the items wouldn't sell in bazaar for much at all, would that mean ALL of it or most of it or ? cause i can go to a vendor and start selling everything i have on my chars which wouldn't bother me much cause its so darn out-dated. Even the weightless bags are those in game anymore and obtainable or ? i found those hard to get lol from Lower an Upper Guk.

I guess,, thinking harder on it I want a clean start and as you said its faster and easier to lvl up, all gear, spells, quests, an items are easier to understand now if i were to start over you think ?
  4. Eidetic New Member

Shaman: Get a tank merc, cast dots on mob. Cast slow if more than green.

Enchanter: Get a Tank merc, cast tashania on mob, dot, nuke. Later on start to charm mobs when you have some aa's into that, or else it will break too easy.

Rogue: Tank merc again. Let it have have aggro then start to backstab. Later on, use poisons and cleric merc.

Bard: Use melody. Alt + m, take a free slot, type /melody 1 2 3 4 according to your gemslots it will start to play songs in order. Which is dot, dot, dot and maybe either slow or battlechant. You can also charm mobs by charming a mob have it attack another or 1 or 2 more, each time your chamred mob gets low you release the charm and charm another mob with high hit points. That way they will kill eachother or you can finish them of when the last have low hp. You can also get either tank or cleric merc with bard imo. And keep a distance at all time, it can take a little while until mobs start to attack charmed mobs, so run pan camera and stand still when they are fighting. You can take as many as you are comfortable with.

Druid: Apply snare on mob dot up run! Or apply snare on mob A then B then C and D keep runnin so that they dont get you and run circular so that they are running together. Then start to nuke with your aoe and keep running everytime you have nuked, they must never get close or you die. If one snare runs out you may click around extended target window and look at you single target window for a snare icon missing, then reaply. Snare last 1, 25 sec or more. But if yellow or deep blue it could last shorter. If too hard get a tank merc and dot up , heal, buff the merc.

You get up free aa's up til 4th newest expansion if you check the box in your aa window.

Good luck!
    Hawklight Yandli likes this.
  5. Thulgar New Member

Ty for the reply Eidetic, most appreciated.
    The information pertaining to what class should have what merc is very helpful because I didn't know about them prior to yesterday and what class really should use what merc. I will be looking into these, does it cost anything to buy one, rent one, keep one ? something this good id think would be extremely hard to keep and does the cost count while offline so if you login it will be gone or ?
  6. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

I wouldn't sell any of the gear, chances are if you are like the rest of us you have some of the oldie but goodie gear which may be less stats across the board but I assure are better then defiant gear. The wu sticks and fungi tunics centi's and such will live on forever for twink gear. Gear is easy to come by if you type /claim should even have 3 armor and 1 wep avail if you think your gear is that bad. Plat is a thing of the past. It's so easy to get you could even buy a krono 17.99 and sell it in baz from the /bar system to give you a jump if ya need it that bad. It is a different game but think of it this way. Go back to your high school walk around for a few to your old class rooms. Bet it's not the same thing. Pick a class you are happy with. Start from level 1 and just go for it. Following the hot zones is a good way to level. I think there is a progression type quick notes story version of the whole game if you look in the achievement window.
  7. Eidetic New Member

Np, for the first 10 levels there are no merc cost. It cost a small amount each 15 minutes and climbing up to plats as higher you get in levels.

Also mercs are much needed at higher levels only few classes can solo at higher levels without alot of downtime.

The tank merc is very good up till level 60 you migh use just that, if it's journeyman. Of course journeyman mercs are only for subscribers and so are no aa limit.

For beastlord use caster or melee merc.
    For wizard you might use cleric or caster.
    When you get better at the class you end up with nearly all mercs are viable in some way. It's just how you wanna play. But I tell you this warrior, paladin, sk might do better with a cleric merc But in a way you can heal you self with pala and use wizard on burn. There is no exact right way to play.

When you get to level 80 or is it 85 you can do quest which gives you better journeyman mercs.
  8. Thulgar New Member

Ty loratex I appreciate the information, I guess.. i will need to think about going through all my gear, but as you said things are different now and what use to be good i don't know if still is, and id hate to spam chat asking for multiple different items lol after awhile i'll be put on ignore and will be doing this alone :) I WILL though take a look into some of those items u mentioned as I do have some eg on my monk and rogue etc. I will keep twink gear as you suggested for my new chars, and that I think is where I will be going with this. Now outta the 8 I listed, what would you believe / see would help me level fastest, and make enough platinum to get me going ?

Also, how much do *Krono* go for in baz ? I didn't know about these, is this a monthly subscription item ?
  9. Mysl Augur

Do not delete your toons yet. Roll a new toon on Rathe, if you think you will be joining the guild Crystilla suggested. Don't sell anything to the vendor yet, some items may be still useful. Get yourself back in the game, and get your bearing first. :) Your account is a old one, so you will have vet AAs. Do not claim it yet on any of your toons, until you decide what to do. One new feature you will for sure want to get familiar with is the extended target window. It is very useful, play with it a bit and you will find it is great for enchanter to see how many mobs you have to maz. :p
    Free account is limited to 2 characters, but I am not sure if it is 2 characters per server, or 2 characters per account.
  10. Thulgar New Member

Ty Mysl for the information.. Rathe server you say ? lol thats two folks that suggested I go there. I have always been on Xegony, hard to say i should leave, after all money and items aren't transferable now are they ? BUT I do see what your saying, why sell them leave them on the server and just go to another one and make new ones, this way I have chars on both servers, so yes that does sound like a viable option.. I think..... i might do that and perhaps take Crystilla up on her suggestion...
  11. silku Augur

I like the Rathe myself, friendly, lots of grouping. Lots of good friendly leveling guilds too.
  12. Thulgar New Member

So from those that helped out and I appreciate it all.. What out of my 8 option classes i have already should I pick that will help me level quickly AND earn money easily.. Oh i like necros too if thats helpful.
  13. Borek-VS Augur

There are good reasons to reroll; and good reasons not to. You may have run out of character slots on a server; be bored or otherwise disconnected with a character; or may want to join friends elsewhere. But - you can buy extra character slots with Station Cash or with Loyalty points. Old characters with veteran status will have rewards that are very useful, and may have no drop items or flags that would be hard to regain. Or you may just have good friends that you don't want to leave.

Platinum is less of a problem than you may think. Loyalty points can buy a bag of platinum, or you can buy a Krono (with real cash this time), and sell it for 700k-1Mpp. Also, recent expansions (such as TSS) have regular mobs that drop relatively high value vendor loot. Don't underestimate the value of gem drops in zones like Dulak, the Hole and Sebilis, where a relatively low level character can earn a lot of pp very quickly - I used to reckon on around 5kpp/hr in the Hole with my 61 mage, for example. With fast levelling, this is easy to achieve; or, by buying a Heroic character (and although you may feel a bit lost playing one in level 85 content), you will have a great farming character.

Basic advice:

Roll a new character, class and race that you think you will enjoy playing, server doesn't matter. Play through the Gllomingdeep tutorial to get used to how EQ feels now. Hire a tank merc, no matter what class you play (you can switch at 60+ if you like). Check /claim for items with 999 to claim, especially bags and mounts if you have any. Play this character in the TSS zones for a while: Crescent Reach, Blightfire Moors, Goru'kar Mesa, Blackfeather Roost. Follow the Hero's Journey Tome for achievement quests. Do the daily quests from Franklin Teek in the Plane of Knowledge. Switch around when you get bored. Then go back to your old characters if you want to.
  14. Crystilla Augur

To clarify one thing, I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say you (specifically you) could level to where max level is or group with them in a week. But your highest chars were low 50's with many in the 20-30 range, and that can be done in a couple of days to a week if you aren't powerleveled by someone (and it sounds like you don't want to be).

The hero's journey is something you might want to do initially after the tutorial. It helps gear you based on the quests you complete with it. You'll get a book or you can type /achievement (/ach for short) to get achievements to come up then look for it. It gives you quests at your level and as you complete certain quests or group of quests you can gear yourself, on top of the items you'll loot along the way.

Xegony is a populated server but I'm not very familiar with the casual guilds there, and they don't really promote themselves like the one I mentioned on Rathe does. I tend to think - a guild that constantly promotes itself is one that is truly interested in new players.
  15. Crystilla Augur

Necros are great soloers. Enchanters, druids (and because I'm personally biased) clerics are good choices I think as well.

The melee classes are a bit more challenging to solo with during some spell cycles.

Your spells (level 1-90) can be found in Plane of Knowledge now in the library (so no more going zone to zone for them anymore until you get much higher). But you will level so fast depending which class you pick you may only need to pick up a small handful per every 5-7 levels or so.
  16. Thulgar New Member

Ok, i have made a character on Rathe Server. I will follow the quest information from here on out, I made a monk because I have always liked the low gear and armor requirements, which means I can save up money for good stuff later on or Mercs lol... Characters name is thulgar go figure :) look me up folks, im happy to be back and here on Rathe server and hope to group with you folks in the future....

Thulgar Gemblades
    Elskidor likes this.
  17. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

If you want a character who doesn't care about gear, play an Enchanter. I give away just about anything that drops because the upgrade doesn't make a difference to me.
    silku likes this.
  18. xukil of luclin Curator of a UI

The best thing anyone can do (imho) is level to 100ish on one character before creating a bunch of alts. Easier said the done I know, but a higher level character can support lower level alts easier...I see a few people I know that can't seem to get into or out of the 80's yet have 6 different alts in that range or lower. I 2 boxed a monk and cleric with a tank merc and caster merc all the way to 100 with some help along the way from guildes. it took 2 years from when I came back to "get caught up" by my standards now.
    Cazmac likes this.
  19. Thulgar New Member

ya I am bad for that, i just like making new characters, but your right it gets to the point at a certain lvl with a new character an its like uugh i still have 1000000 levels to go to get caught up with my main, and i don't want to do it, oh lets make another alt, they level fast LOL its an addiction yes, this i can admit, an addiction to character creations and fast leveling. This is why I MUST, MUST MUST MUST stick with 1 char till 100 or 105 an then I can start on another, thats why i made my monk. Not imo very gear oriented and so that means more money in the bank to twink a twink at a later time lol.

Only thing though, I started back yesturday, i dont know what I did but took me 4 hrs to get to lvl 10 :( I went through all the quests in tutorial and some i started now in CS *which btw there isn't a level 10 quest giver just 1+, 15+ and up :*( * So i don't know why its taking me so long to level if leveling is faster from the posts above mentioned *shrugs*. I did get lots of help from someone named Furei he made me weightless bags for my monk and jewelry and some claws an helped me with information which was sooo helpful and i'd like to thank him for all his help.

So would a enchanter be the next class I should make ? :p hehehe noooo not till 105 or 100 on monk :)
    Cazmac likes this.
  20. Borek-VS Augur

Four hours to 10 is fast if you remember old Everquest - a week or more was more typical!
    Cazmac likes this.