Everquest.com hijacked?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Numiko, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Indrigoth Journeyman

I have been playing EQ since beta and have overlooked a lot of incompetence...but this one really has me shaking my head...

/ipconfig flushdns worked for me...but seriously, how many people are going to be able to figure that out?

Wow SOE...just wow...(still shaking my head)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. noclue Elder

I am unable to figure it out, my 1 attempt it did nothing to correct the problem.
  3. Kiillz Augur

man I could post a picture but I d so get banned. This is just about the poorest showing from them yet. Kinda like one of us forgetting where we work tomorrow
  4. Kiillz Augur

sadly its not.
  5. Docshady New Member

Start -- RUN --
    type
    ipconfig /flushDNS

Restart your modem, then Restart your PC

---

If this DOES NOT WORK

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
    right click on the connection your using -- CLICK PROPERTIES

Internet protocol V 4 (TCP/IPV4)

highlight that -- click properties

Select -- use the following DNS server adressess
    Preferred DNS Server; 64.37.129.11
    Alternate DNS Server 8.8.8.8

Click OK

Launch EQ
    This fix worked for me. Thanks to the person that posted it on Facebook.
  6. Machen New Member

My guess is that the person responsible was one of the people let go a few months ago. This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of for this happening. Still, this is terrible mismanagement not to have such a critical role reassigned and covered.
  7. Hiladdar Augur

This is the kind of issue that will render many not able to log since it is not expected for customers to know enough networking to safely modify their DNS look up, putting their internet connectivity at risk. Most of that is now done via scripts that are provided from the ISPs through which your customers have access to the internet.

Sony, how will we, as players, be compensated for not being able to get to the game servers due to a "man caused issue" with zero culpability on the part of your customer?
  8. Indrigoth Journeyman

And I also have to say, it bothers me SOE doesn't have a representative here letting people know what is going on and giving some answers as to how to fix this on our end (for those that still can't get in).

I have thought for a while that EQ (and other SOE games) are run by skeleton crews (would explain the mediocre expansions as of late)...stuff like this confirms it for me.
    silku and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  9. Indrigoth Journeyman

I would love to see another double XP weekend as compensation (this weekend would be nice)...but I doubt they will do more than release an apology statement.
  10. Drakang Augur

Double XP and double named spawns :)
  11. Roshen Brand Manager

These issues popped up this morning, and we made a post here: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/intermittent-access-issues-july-15.212175/

Unfortunately, I can't confirm any fix that will work on your end. We're rolling out the fixes on our end, but some members may continue to have issues with SOE websites and games for the next 48 hours.
  12. Edrick Augur

People that haven't used an updated DNS can't see the forums either, so you might consider sending out emails instead.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Kiillz like this.
  13. Borek-VS Augur

Forums were down this morning (UK time) along with all game servers: so more than 12 hours before the last posts here.

As far as I can see, the admin email for one of the domains used for patch servers (etc) was set to a dead address; possibly a laid off person. Of course, you should never set these admin addresses to a personal email address, but to a general admin email address that is shared by the entire team.

Kind of dumb, but it happens - taking several months to recover from a hack, and introducing brain-dead/broken "security" procedures, as with a couple of years ago, was far worse. This can be recovered from in two days. It's a shame that there's still no overnight coverage in PST land.
  14. Karthanon Augur

All in good fun, how...

[IMG]
    Uxtalzon likes this.
  15. Shimmerleaf Augur

Docshady,

That fixed it for me, Thanks!
  16. Danille Augur

At least it happened today and not tomorrow, Launch Day!
  17. suka Lorekeeper

try this: open your network and sharing folder, then click your network icon (mine is local area connection) and open that. click on the properties and then on internet protocol version 4 (tcp/ipv4). Now click properties on that.
    the bottom part is the dns server. click “use the following DNS server address:
    preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
    alternate dns server 8.8.4.4
    click validate settings on exit
    Now go to your system tools in your accessories on your start menu and right-click the command prompt. choose “run as administrator”
    there you type the ipconfig commands: first the /flushdns and then the /registerdns. when it finishes telling you that the dns is registered, close the window.
    your eq1 should run then.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Rykear like this.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Roshen,

I know you are stuck in the middle between management and players, but the only thing told us in eight business hours (not even a Sunday to excuse) is your post and:

Really, SOE can't say anything else?

At the least I would expect by now an announcement saying:
    • Everyone gets two days free EQ (subscriptions extended by two days, etc.)
    That is the bare minimum I would expect. It would also help to get maybe 2-3 days double xp.

The fact that SOE can't make a decision and announcement on this after eight hours of meetings is disturbing.

Considering many players can not log in for going on eight hours now, and it could be up to 48, means that if SOE does not grant the free subscription days, they are basically taking our money and giving us nothing.

This is SOE's fault 100%. I must give you guys credit for not trying to spin this as something you didn't cause. SOE caused this. You need to make good.

Everyone makes mistakes, heck, NASA lost the original Apollo 11 moon landing video tapes and they are rocket scientists. The real thing is what you do after you make a mistake. SOE needs to step up on this.
  19. Derd Augur

They did get info out when they found out their was a problem, these forums were down so they used facebook and twitter. Or at least those two places are where I found out and was able to relax and just wait for the problem to be resolved. The email's telling them to renew went to a email that was not either being monitored or at least from mr. smedley's post to the wrong email address. I will not speculate what "wrong" means other than eh it didn't get seen by the proper person or department.
  20. Fendy Augur

They did. That's why he wasn't there to read the email.