What Has Been Your Favorite EverQuest Zone?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Roshen, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Feochadan the Savior Lorekeeper

Howling Stones (Charasis). Being a rogue, I was leading groups there, when it was current content the doors were locked, the content was challenging, and the exp and loot were great, the place was better for that than the (at this time) overcrowded Sebilis.
    Belchere likes this.
  2. Zaxamaphone Augur

My favorite zones are anything up to and including Velious. There was a natural flow to the zones in terms of difficulty and storyline. But what I loved about them most was they were populated, vibrant, alive with people coming and going.

I spent the most time in the Commonlands... many levels in East Commonlands where there were groups at Orc 1, Orc 2, Undead, you name it. You could fill up your limited bag space and run to Freeport to sell to friendly merchants, then run back and find a group quickly. Once you had saved up enough gold and platinum you could run over to the tunnel and buy a new powerful item from more experienced players at Torch 1 or Torch 2, as well as picking up some buffs along the way.

As you leveled up you would work your way to West Commonlands to more powerful and deadly mobs. But what would hold the most fear for you was the evil Kithicor Forrest... Only the very brave, very stupid, or very powerful would zone into there at night. That was back when you frequently would use the /time command to know when the sun was going to be setting. I can't even remember the last time I cared what the ingame time was.
    Anglesy and Kaneras like this.
  3. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Favorite zone would have to be Stone Hive (off of Blightfire Moors). That place is so beautiful compared to the rest of the expansion. I rarely see anyone there when I visit with my lowbie toons.
    Leerah likes this.
  4. Syrup Augur

Wow, I read this thread and sat in quiet contemplation for about 15 minutes.
    Thanks for flood of great memories :)

After much consideration, I chose Lower Guk.
    Massive zone with tons of named camps, undead/living creatures mixxed into a maze of a zone.
    You look at the map and it seems overwhelming, but becomes second nature in no time.
    Maybe i'm just a sucker for the good times i had there in classic, and again on the progression servers.

It's one of the zones you can leave the game for 6 years, and still know it forwards and backwards when you find yourself back there.....
    Timeless is the word i'm looking for!
  5. Battleaxe Augur

ToV

The environment and mobs there make sense
    Dragons > all
    the basepop mobs belong in the event
    lesser mobs have a variety of abilities that are potentially dangerous and work with each other
    yardtrash encountered in a dungeon crawl dropping armor made trash clearing more than just a necessary and expected chore

IMO the possibilities that PoHate and PoFear hinted at ToV delivered.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  6. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

I vote for a ToV (extreme) and PoTime (harder-then-old-fabled) to make all these nostalgia feelings go away!
  7. Tornicade_IV Augur

Wow . I am still working on this. Every time i thought I had a favorite zone . I think of 3 or 4. I went and made a list of all the zones through underfoot and removed all the blah or okay ones and widdled it down to about 125 zones.. Even looking at POR there was some great zones with every expansion.
  8. Torriadore Elder

Old Sebilis. Actually most Kunark zones need a revamped version. Hardcore heritage for Kunark anyone?
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  9. Brogett Augur

Raid wise it'll be ToV simply because of the awesome way faction worked back then (picking sides!) and it was my first real hard experience of raiding.

I also have a soft spot for butcherblock though, especially the chess board, simply because it was my first and most memorable experience of levelling up in EQ.
  10. Obiziana Augur

West Karana (the original) has to be up there for me.... Soloing the McMannus' with my shaman to work through hell levels.

Lower Guk is another, I spent about 10 levels there on my monk camping Raster, I got to know the whole zone so well I would give guided tours.

Raiding, NTOV has to be it... the feeling was just epic.
  11. Ayoheee Augur

Dreadspire Keep all the way.

[IMG]
    Leerah, Elricvonclief and Lily like this.
  12. Arylle Lorekeeper

City of Mist. It was just perfect for my sister & I to duo there back in the day.
  13. Rylaar2000 Elder

I have always enjoyed the old East Commonlands zone. Other favorites are: Karnor's, Vex Thal, Ssraeshza Temple, Muramite Proving Grounds, Riftseekers' Sanctum, Deathknell, and Ashengate.
  14. sojuu Augur

Veksar hands down but velks lab is probably second for me. I would love to see a revamp of those two zones expecially Veksar!
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  15. Lily Augur

After I posted Unreset and all HoT as my favorite, I remembered Dreadspire Keep. I agree, best zone ever.
  16. FcsevenXIII Augur

The Elddar Forest. An overlooked and beautifully flawed zone. Being too out of the way to visit on a regular baisis as well as being a victim of a very weak expansion.
  17. Sinestra Augur

Tower of Frozen Shadow is by far my favorite zone in the entire game.

Second places are perhaps Befallen, Veksar, Charasis, and Crypt of Dalnir.

Although ToFS was pretty small for an open zone, the linear progression through, the different themes, the interesting storyline, and the general flavor of the zone along with a lot of undead targets is something I miss in EQ. It is something that the devs have left far far behind.
    Serriah_Test likes this.
  18. lancelove Augur

1) Old Seb
    2) Lake of Ill Omen
    3) Fironia Vie
    4) Karnors Castle
    5) Plane of Nightmare
  19. Kaneras Augur

High Pass
    Crystal Caverns
    Crushbone
    East Karana

Most I liked for the complexity and danger involved. Karana was beautiful and good for pelt farming!
  20. Smallpox Augur

I just have to point out that like 90% of the replies on this thread are for Original EQ, Kunark, or Velious.
    Hopefully the game designers/devs will get the hint that old-school trumps new-school where zone design is concerned.

EQ and it's first two expansions were (and still are) epic, everything else since then just feels like re-hashed content. Sure there are a few exceptions with later expasions, but overall it is generally... Meh.

How about a new expansion with tons of new zones without instances? Instancing may be a cheaper way to add more content, but it is just that... cheap content.