Introducing EverQuest Portal

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Casidia Augur

Not sure what amazes me more, SoEs diplomatic ways to tell us they want Eq1 + 2 players moving over to EqN + Landmark soon. Or parts of this community still thinking there is a future for the old Eq games that is longer than maybe ~1.5 years.

I cannot be angry at them, looking at what people build in Landmark already i know EqN will be an awesome experience.
    SoE tries finding ways to tell us "hey look, we cannot live in that cave forever it's time to move on" without pissing old players off too much.
    This is one of those tries, there are so many others here already like "your famous Eq story".
    Notice how they slowly lead you towards seeing Eq1 as the past.
    There will be no "EqPlayers" anymore, they want new Portals (ha..) and they want them leading to EqN.
  2. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

They can really take "eqnext" and well... You know. I am really tired of hearing about it and landmark. These are everquest (1) forums, there is a non eq related sections all new pertaining to anything NOT everquest(1) should be put there. I hate spam
  3. Naugrin Augur

You mean eq is going to die? First I've heard of this.
  4. Fendy Augur

As I remember things, EQ was a growing game in 2000/2001 when servers were splitting and rumors of it's death began in 2005 when servers started merging again. Those rumors have continued for a very long time. I no longer pay attention to them.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  5. Joyy New Member

"and leave a comment in the blog post"

Not sure where to leave a comment, so just in case it is supposed to be here I will leave this ..... comment :)
  6. Casidia Augur

Always funny seeing dreams involving tooth fairies and Santas.
    I myself am already tired of Eq1 in it's current state, and am glad they make something new.
    Do you enjoy content that was made with skeleton dev crews, spiced with old graphics and codes?
    I played this game for more than 10 years, recommended it to dozens of friends and some play now still (so SoE made some money from me), now i am closed to getting banned for speaking some words of truth here. It's no fun anymore, even the most hardcore nostalgic should see it.
    Yes Eq1 is going to die very soon. Thank god.
  7. Fendy Augur

No need for you to keep playing it then Casidia. I hope you enjoy whatever game you move on to. Bye.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  8. Izcurly Augur

It started earlier than 2005. Way before than every new MMO game was called the EQ-killer by someone, and they've all been wrong.

Everything dies, eventually. But EQ's death is not imminent. You're just the newest in a long line of prognosticators that think their opinon is the only one that's right. I predict you are not correct. In fact, I predict over 5 more years at least.
  9. Medimus New Member

I'm probably being dense, but leave a comment in WHICH blog post...?
  10. Izcurly Augur

That link you quoted goes directly to the blog post. If you scroll down far enough you'll see the comments.
  11. Fae Tree Hugger New Member

Here is a novel idea: Stop trying to "Convert" Original EQ Players to your New "Religion" of EQ Next.

If you destroy/cancel/kill the original EQ you will loose subscriptions from possibly thousands of people.
    My friends and I who have been devoted players to EQ for over a decade have reviewed EQ2 and EQNext and found them wanting in ways. Consider the fact your loyal fan base of players have stuck by your company through your worst expansions and continued to play this game despite the availability of EQ2, W.o.W, and Minecraft and many other stand alone games and MMOP's. Think about them when you try to push them away from a game they love to something they did not seek just because you want to compete with games they have no interest in.

I have no interest in a portal that caters to games I have no interest in. I agree with other commentators I would prefer you fix EQplayers and create divisions between the various games' wiki's much as Alakhazam separates their wikis. Yes, the problem with these older third party wiki's is a reduced commentary by players but the separation allows searches that are directed at my needs an EverQuest Original player without having to search through unrelated and un-useful data about a game I do not play. Colleges, libraries, and many businesses have long learned to separate their databases. I think Sony should continue that practice rather than attempting to pressure devoted players into something you think is best for them.
    One of the Oldest business sayings: "Customers know best"
    Sony you have forgotten that in your reach to garner interest from outside players.
    By the way, I am not saying your should not seek new players for your new game. I am saying please stop trying to convert old players to it!
  12. Fendy Augur

"Now we're giving you a one-stop location to learn about all things EverQuest. . ."
    I don't think I'll be giving up my bookmarks to
    https://www.everquest.com/home
    https://www.everquest2.com/home
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/
    http://eq2.zam.com/
    http://eqresource.com/
    http://www.eqinterface.com/
    http://www.eq2interface.com/
    Just yet. My one-stop location to learn all things EverQuest is my bookmark list. I'll happily un-like your multiple facebook pages since they mostly reflect news from your main websites anyway. And I've never followed anyone on twitter. Will the portal be a place for SOE to host their own webcasts now?
  13. Medimus New Member

Sigh. Dense is an understatement. Insert facepalm here...

Thanks, lzcurly.
  14. Artanthos Journeyman

The problem I foresee with EqN: it is being designed to run on both console and desktop.

MMO's that have tried to go dual platform have tended towards simplified interfaces. Interfaces that annoy the fans of computer games.

I for one immediately uninstall any MMO that forces a non-traditional interface on me. If I wanted to play console games, I would buy a console. What I do want, and would pay good money to see, is EQ style characters and gameplay with updated graphics and AI.
  15. Fendy Augur

16. jeskola pheerie

U
    Someone in a conference room suggested Everquest Next Landmark was too clunky and long. That was followed by several more hours-long meetings with powerpoint slideshows and projectors, and at least one it meeting about the laptop hardware displaying said powerpoints not being up to par for the conference room.
  17. Fendy Augur

Roshen posted this on the new Wikia site:
    Starting today, and running until Wednesday, April 23, 2014 classic Bristlebane celebration quests are back!
    This event marks the limited return of Bristlebane quests such as “A Fool’s Errand,” “This Ain’t Right,” and “Let’s Have Some Fun!” I noticed that there are no current entries in Wikia for any of these quests or the rewards for these quests. Have you ever considered writing some?
    (alla posted these events 3 years ago when they were new)
    If SOE wants to populate their new site with info quickly maybe they should contact allakhazam and eqresource and make arrangements to import their databases filled with years of useful information.
    Feradach and Elricvonclief like this.
  18. Diptera Augur

Not sure what the purpose of this portal is supposed to be, exactly - all the "content" has already been done elsewhere, only better, faster, and with significantly fewer adverts on each page =/
    Yinla likes this.
  19. Stumphobbler Elder

20. Stumphobbler Elder

In response to fendy about his player submitted maps.

How about (I know it's asking a lot) That when you install the game or a new expansion is released, Sony actually gives you maps for the game your paying them to play. WOW what a novel concept.

I'm not asking for maps on where the named bosses are or what type of mobs are in a certain locale, but some maps so you can see the out line the terrain and where the zones are, we can fill in the rest.

So new people are starting to play the game, and they bring up a map, but it is blank.
    How frustrating do you think that would be for a new person who doesn't know to get maps from Eqresource or mapfiend

You can create the expansion and all the goodness that's in it with all the complexities involved in creating it, but you can't make a map?
    Come on guys, you can go buy a crap game for $10 and it has basic maps of the area your in.
    Why do we have to go to a 3rd party website to download maps to play your game ? In all my years of playing, this has baffled me.

Am I wrong, or have I just hobbled one too many stumps?