Any new progression server coming?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Warlorf, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Machen New Member

How in the world is Sony supposed to answer you with a yes/no when they probably haven't even made a decision? This is a ridiculous thing to get outraged over.

They also haven't announced whether they will create a new live expansion in 2016, or whether they will be developing EQ4 after EQNext. Are you going to be outraged they won't answer questions on these with a simple yes/no also?
  2. shaagul Journeyman

Nope I don't care about eq4, loled at that one and eqnext looks like a bad idea to me.
  3. Machen New Member

Way to miss the point. They can't give you an answer they don't have.
  4. Dredic New Member

John Smedley had an AMA on Reddit the other night so I asked about the opening of a new TLP sever. He said I should email Terrazas and he was great enough to respond. The demand must not be there at this moment but who knows maybe one day.
    "We have not been planning to open a new TLP server. There are two TLP servers now and I’m not sure what another TLP server would serve. We have been discussing other alternative servers with different rule sets but nothing is in the plan at the moment.

I’ll bring up your thoughts with the team and see how everyone feels about it.

Thank you for your feedback,

Thom Terrazas
    Sony Online Entertainment, LLC."
  5. EQvet Elder

I vote slow unlock to velious then rinse repeat...I could play that content over and over for the rest of my life
  6. Old_Timer Journeyman

Just thought I would add my 2 cents and say that I would come out of retirement in a heart beat and cough up 14.99 / mo. if a new progression server were to open up. After reading through the forum it looks like I'm not the only one...
  7. Pigskin Journeyman

could you please post his email address ... I will write to him also
  8. Old_Timer Journeyman

I would be interested in firing off an email as well. With the Pantheon crowd in wait mode for the next 2-3 years, I believe there would be more than enough interest now to populate a new server. Come on Sony, strike it while the iron is hot!
  9. Jadehalo New Member

John Smedley provided me with this email address via Reddit so it shouldn't be a problem with me giving it out.

[–]j_smedley[S] 3 points4 points5 points4 days ago
    don't know. Please email tterrazas@soe.sony.com and express your thoughts to him.”
  10. Denithor Journeyman

Has someone directed Terrazas and his team to these forums? By the sound of it, they aren't even aware of the requested demand for a new server.
  11. CrazyLarth Augur

Would love to see some type of speical leaderboard progresson server.
    (new type of fast progression server)
    Goals would be decided what to put on the leader board that must be met each Expansion that are duable in a shorter time limit like two weeks.

Server would be reset back to level 1 if not enough taskes are done to start the unlock of the next EXP with a new set of goals.

Goals would be needed to be acomplished in a Time limit or the whole server is reset to level 1 with no gear and no PP.

each rest would keep the Chars name so they can keep the char and see the leader boards over time each EXP where their char is at if in the TOP 50 for each achivment? or some thing like that.

leader Board would assin points to each goal and have a whole life if fast progess who is on Top. or each level reset who is on Top for that time line and how far that servers unlocked before a reset.

Why am i thinking a fast progession reset server is needed so we can have the slower progression server and a faster paced one. Can add a leader board to the Slower progress also.

Just an idea, I am not retired yet to play a lot of servers but I would think long term a faster server with a bulit in reset ablity if the current players are not acheing the goals the reset might get more back in to the game. The biggest issues i see is your have to allow some slow progress due to Holdays figuered in to the lengths.
  12. Machen New Member

This would be a train wreck. EQ is a character development game. Any server that features regular wipes is never going to be popular as anything other than a novelty. Discord only worked because it was a short term, limited duration deal. No one's going to want to invest time into a character that will probably be deleted in three months.
  13. Enoss New Member

Perfect business model...they start 2 progression servers, they draw in the business of those who just like to play on them and the ones that only want to go to blah blah era cause that is the best of EQ. They get the money from the I only want it this way for a short time then continue getting monthly subs from the rest as the servers continue to progress. Then all the I only want it to go this far people get lonely and desperate and can't wait to have their young girl back that when they do finally open new ones they can't throw the money at SOE fast enough.

Honestly, why would they make such limited servers that will only appeal to a very small fraction of their player base? Progression server players (a niche) of the normal player base, I only want it to go this far and stop/start over (a niche of the progression server niche). Other then the few that claim that the limited servers would be the best thing since the beginning of time and they could recruit players by the bus loads, how much of the regular player base would be enticed to sub monthly for it? My guess, not enough over the life of the server(s) to justify the costs of starting, maintaining, upkeep, support and whatever else.

Progression servers are just that, they progress, they are like Toyota's they don't stop no matter how much you stomp the break. If you want to play on a server that cuts more then half the current game out go play on P99, it has a booming population from what i hear because it's FREE! The minute it started charging $15 a month to play on the server population would drop so fast you wouldn't believe it.

I really love the suggestions of just clearing out vulak and starting over, what about the people on vulak that enjoy playing there? They are paying now, why should SOE do this for people who are "I'll pay if they do that" over the ones currently paying.....FYI life on vulak is not bad, I actually enjoy it and would be very disappointed if they merged it with flippy before being caught up to live servers and there are others that feel the same way. Recently there has been some growth on Vulak, returning Vulak players and some that are new there, maybe they like the less crowded server or god forbid they are looking forward to SoD and future xpac openings. I doubt that though, no one looks forward to any part of EQ after PoP if you believe the stupidity on these boards.

Those of you wanting very limited servers just remember this one key fact.....limited servers = limited dollars. You can try to spin it however you like but it's the way it is, why would people outside of your small niche put out the dollars to play on a dead end server? You complain that Vulak population is low and it should go, what do you think these servers will be like when the newness wears off and people realize they wasted their time/money only to stop under halfway through the possibilities, or the time and effort they put in is erased and the server starts over. It's called common sense.
  14. Greyfin10 New Member

Sitting here wondering what the value of nostalgia is to me. Specifically, I have occasionally logged into the old game (I generally don't mind paying to do this, but normally it occurs to me when they do a "come back to Norrath" push). It tends to be the activity of an evening, and I end up feeling sort of disappointed when my gut figures out that you really can't step into the same river twice. I'm reading most people here considering the value of the Progression Server concept being a raiding thing. Maybe so. And that always was the driving force for new concepts, to keep the people coming back constantly. But my raiding days are over and will never return... though I admit that the idea of Raiding PoSky while being woefully undergeared sounds really appealing.

I dusted off my ID and logged in to post about the Progression Server concept, and in writing this I think I've convinced myself that what I was looking for is a ghost that I can't have. It doesn't matter where I log in, what version of content it has, what the rulesets are, without the variables that made me enjoy the game before (the good and the bad), it will probably always leave me feeling empty and disappointed. Maybe I'm alone in this, but it seems your either in for what the game offers NOW, or your bound to be disappointed in some way.

Once AIs get good enough, maybe they can create pocket servers that host a snapshot experience: i.e. I log in when I know I have three hours, and I get to be SA in a VT raid. The whole guild is waiting for me, and I make my way to the zone in, and we're off. I play for my three hours, get tired and log out... but never fear, the raid has been saved, and will continue when I'm ready to go again. Nobody is disappointed because I have to get up early tomorrow, etcetera.

It had better be a good AI though... I want those arguments over the shrink items to feel real :)
  15. br3333nt Journeyman

They're probably looking at shutting EQ down and don't want to invest any time/money in a new server. They obviously didn't with their latest xpac.
  16. oisjafoij Augur

Can't wait for a new progression server. Got my army of 12 mages ready to go to give you all that classic progression server experience of never getting a good camp ever.
  17. shaagul Journeyman

Soe has posted on Reddit and in email replying to the tlp server questions that they plan no new progression servers anytime soon. Even if the current progression server catch the live servers and that 2+ years away.
  18. Tharrg Augur

EQ is a cash cow... its what gives them funding for alot of their new games... dont expect to see it shut down.. while its still highly profitable...
  19. The one called Loto New Member

They will need a lot of pressure in order to shut EQ down. With 20 expansions and as the original MMO, it can be used as a symbol of Sony's dedication to online gaming more than anything else.
  20. MabbuFippy Journeyman

I sent an e-mail to him as well. I suggest anyone who is interested in ANY type of new server, regardless of ruleset, send him an email and tell him that something new is better than nothing for another 2 years, or ever.

New servers always bring back old and new players. New servers generate $$.