Old raid mobs with long respawn timers.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Goth, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Yesway Augur

If it's a rare drop they could very well be there for awhile, and when they near the end of their camping they'll invite their friend to take over the camp for their alts, so on and so forth. Still don't see this stopping the "permacamp" problem anytime soon. Sure, eventually it will open up, but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near as quickly as you assume it would. If it was just a matter of someone getting a handful of drops then it wouldn't be as bad as you say it is now.
  2. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Yet it is a greater chance to catch a spawn then it is currently. It's harder for a permacamper to grab something every 6-12 hours than it is for a mob that spawns ever three days or so.

As it stands right now, unless I sit underneath venril sathir for five days I will not see the spawn because a level 100 will swoop in and murder it and let all the loot rot. At least on tunare a lot of the old named epic or not are camped by the same three people that insist on killing these long respawn mobs the second they spawn.

Month ten of camping venril starts today =)
    Ishtass likes this.
  3. Norathorr Augur

Only reason I can think of people killing Ntov mobs in general are for melee weapons. This is more due to a flaw in the defiant system where caster gear is awesome and the melee weapons are comparatively terrible compared to old raid drops. Asides from Vulak and Dagarn I cant think of much there which is of any real value. And if people are camping Vulak its best to leave a lord or lady or aary up to pop him. Unless people are killing all the lords and ladys in the hopes of throwing someone off the Vulak spawn. I encountered this problem when I camped Vulak so I would always on initial clear leave a lord or lady up and kill it off par with the others so I always had a backup mob to trigger him.
  4. Tharrg Augur

I have been fighting for 5 years to get all Pre Luclin mobs including Raid Bosses and other mobs on a reasonable 2-4 hour timer at max. Having a timer that is 6+ hours and in many cases days long does nothing but keep content from casual players. These are old school mobs... their loot should not be considered farm-able ... however they are still permacamped... 14 year old mobs being permacamped is a shame. I think at first you will see some issues.. but the only people who do not wont these mobs changed.. are the ones Permacamping them and selling their loot and loot rights to the epics..... I was told by several farmers that have kept the mobs permacamped that in order to get my epic I can buy the piece from them that I need. It took me over 12 years to get my epic... I have had it only a few months.. all because I had to fight the permacampers to the mob... and bring along several level 100's grouped to lay it to waste before the farmer could kill it. SOE... stop catering to these AFK permacampers and reduce the spawn time....
  5. Norathorr Augur

Man even I would be open to have spawns changed after reading this. One thing I would never do is hold another player for ransom. If people are doing this then perhaps it does need addressed:(
    Ishtass likes this.
  6. Djinnkitty Augur

As far as the claim that shortening spawn times won't stop permacamping goes... nah. Look at the most valuable camps with short spawn times right now. Off the top of my head I can think of places like the Stone Ward spawn of The Hole and Infected Paw. They are fairly heavily contested, yeah, but there is still at least a measurable chance of checking it out at random and finding an open spot. I can't see old-world raid mobs being any different.
    Sinestra, Sumonerr_Tunare and Ishtass like this.
  7. Saphfyre Elder

My personal story. I wanted to work on my Wizard Epic 1.0 Pretty easy quest, just kill Phinny, Venril Sathir, and Enraged Golem.

Phinny - 27 kills for me to get Blue Crystal Staff. I had to bind inside his lair and log in/out there every day to find him up. Several times I would log in or gate in to find someone just killed him. I had several perma campers tell me they will the Blue Crystal Staff for 20k. I always turned them down, I wanted to do the Epic 1.0 myself. Took over 2 months to do this part.

Venril Sathir - 2 kills for me to get Gnarled Staff. First kill, I ran to his spawn point and found him up. There was a 50ish level toon in the safe room. I sent him a /tell and asked if he wanted to group to kill VS. No response. So I proceeded to kill VS and a high-level toon came around the corner as I was looting. I assume the high level toon was the 50ish level alternate account. I try to find VS up for 6 weeks after that, no luck. Finally I find VS up, same 50ish toon in the safe room, same high level toon running around the corner as I am looting my Gnarled Staff.

Enraged Golem - no problems since it is a trigger spawn inside Plane of Fear. Visited PoF and the broken golem was not up, came back 2 days later and it was.

Moral of the story, there are definitely people perma camping old Epic 1.0 mobs. I am playing on Vox server, the newest standard server.

EDIT: I am all for making Epic 1.0 drops or mobs more available. While I believe it is possible to get your Epic 1.0 in the current world, it is more frustrating than anything else. Especially if you have a full time job, wife, and kids, like I do.
  8. Soulstasteyummy New Member

All these people who are against this idea, claiming that it would ruin the nostalgia factor of the game have it completely backwards. Lowering the respawn timer on old raid mobs and loosening the death grip on these players who have the raid bosses permanently camped would actually HELP bring back some of the nostalgia missing from the game.

"Hey guys, do you all remember VT back in the day? That place was nuts! Do you all wanna go with me to go try it out? I hear the mobs still have gobs of HP.....Oh wait, the zone is empty."

"Since I have some free time, I think I'm gonna go get revenge on Sev for killing me all those times back when I was leve---where is that damn dragon?!"

"Dude, do you remember back in VoT that if you engaged lord Vulak without killing all the other bosses he would summon them all to him? Do you think we could handle that now at our level? Oh wait...Why is there a ranger afk in the zone? Where are all the bosses?"

Bring back the fights into the game, fighting OTHER people for spawns was never a fun proposition unless you won. And even then, you just ruined a whole group of other people's nights.
  9. Sando New Member

epic 1.0 mob lower it to 30m~an hour respawn would be nice so every one from different time zone players can get theirs much more easier

raid boss i think 4~8hours and increasing drops to 6 per kill ( well at least for emp and seru , so most people can get those nice horse )

am i asking too much?
    Ishtass likes this.
  10. Mithrandyr Augur

It's pretty simple. Just make a mechanic for epic mobs (VSR, Undead Bard, Echo of Nortlav) and leave the rest alone. I find it odd that people are locking down epics to sell. I've never had that problem on any of the servers that I have played. There's no reason to change the cycles of all the old mobs. Just put in a work around for epics.
  11. Uxtalzon Augur

"I don't see it, therefore it doesn't happen", but it has and it still does. Plane of Fear and The Hole both contain many class epic parts and it's so easy to kill in those zones, that the time an epic mob stays alive is extremely short.

In The Hole, players who are decked out in Defiant or better gear can easily rampage through and kill anything without a second thought to its purpose, because it was a great level to grind AAs for several weeks (as opposed to the PL's we have now that takes just hours...). This kept my epic mob Keeper of the Tombs dead and took me three weeks to find him up.

In Plane of Fear, players have an epic mob they can kill, but extreme aggro radius could mean wiping out the zone. Not to mention many mobs there drop still-valued items, so why would the average player take their time picking off the ones they need/want vs. everything else? Just pull the whole zone and kill it all, it saves them precious minutes... and in turn, a handful of players will find their epic mob gone. It's still possible today for one player/person, with enough determination, to keep Plane of Fear locked down and devoid of epic mobs for weeks or even months and who knows, a year. One person shouldn't have the ability to hold 10+ class epics hostage on an entire server, but it is possible and easier than ever now that there's a F2P model.

I'd be amazed and surprised if developers actually make any changes. They don't fix bugs of the same content anyway. I think there was a thread before the forums changed that they don't consider any epic to be a "bottleneck", too.
    Ishtass likes this.
  12. Yesway Augur

So really, as you state it, it's not always about people intentionally permacamping a particular mob so much as just killing everything that pops for the exp. This is part of the reason I'm saying spawning them more often will not really fix the "problem" as it is. The only real fix would be instanced versions for these specific quest related mobs. As far as other specialty items that are just used for clicky effects and whatnot, those are a separate issue, and I don't really think those need to have anything done to the spawn wise.
  13. Sando New Member

making those mob respawn 30mins will affect a lot ,the more it drops the less he can sell for eventually they will / might lose interested in doing these
    also how about making those 1.0 quest items lore? might help
    Ishtass and Sinestra like this.
  14. Moklianne Augur

Just allow instances to be created with all of these old zones. Adjust the spawn times to be up when the zone is created. This way, the original zones don't have to be touched.
    Ishtass and Sinestra like this.
  15. moogs Augur

Creating too many instances at once causes some real server lag. Plus the developers have to make new zones, even if it's mostly copy/paste.

I think the best workaround is to create a non-aggro NPC (like in the Plane of Knowledge) that will stand at the zone-in and have a simple dialogue option. "Hello, adventurer. Would you like to trigger [your epic mob] on demand?"
  16. Smak Augur

I do think that changing plane of fear might work, if it was setup so that everything in the zone respawned 6-8 hours after every "boss" died. So killing the golems, dracoliche, and cazic would then force the entire zone to respawn 6-8 hours after the last one died.

Sky you cannot change much as its more of a process to clear every isle to key it all, as if its like one raid event sort of like plane of time. You can return to sky a day later and pick up where you left off.

Hate is already revamped so all the minis can be forced to spawn aside from the main bosses like maestro, inny and the hand? not sure on the hand.

Vox/Nagafen could respawn 6 hours and not really change much economically, there already are more cloak of flames in the bazaar than would ever be purchased, at those prices, they might just drop down to 10k for dragon haste across the board.

Phin, could spawn twice as fast or just be left as it is. Kill it once or see it killed and its more about who has the endurance to be on every half a day to catch it.

Really aside from sky many of the 1.0 mobs could be 6-8 hours respawn and not change much.

But assuming you get this, what you may want, you may just end up with more players perm clearing fear to snag golem toys and to sell the multiquests.

The only real way to stop them is to change all the old quests into tasks that require you to get the task, loot the item yourself, or combine into containers and or turn in all at once as the anguish armor quest works. You get a message when you quest anguish armor letting you know you must turn in all the items at once. So I assume its not possible to multiquest that.
  17. Hingabe Augur

Here's an idea. Allow us to type a command, that opens up an instanced version, and give it a lockout timer equal to the longest respawn timer in the zone. or double/triple the time, that wouldnt matter, because at least you know when that timer is up, you can go have a 'fair' shot at whatever it was again.
    Ishtass likes this.
  18. Caudyr Augur

This is more or less what I suggested before, tbh. Have a NPC for ToV and VT, as well as for the 'bottleneck' epic mobs in those zones. In the case of the epic mobs, let it just spawn the mob for the person...assuming they're at the proper point in the quest.

In the case of ToV and VT (only two I can think of offhand, tbh, heh)...have a NPC in the static zone near the zone-in that'll spawn an instance of the zone that, when the dragons are killed, grants a lockout equivalent to the actual lockout of the mobs atm. They could even reduce that lockout to be the same as the standard raid lockout these days (4 days 12 hours, iirc). I don't really see how that's a problem, tbh. I can't imagine this would be a large amount of work (obviously it'd still be some, though, lol), since it's not like you'd be changing the fights in anyway. You'd simply be copying them into the new instance.

It'd have to allow mercs too, though, imo...so a shared task and not an expedition, maybe? :p
    ETA for this post to be deleted? :p
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I have been trying to attain 'Slime Blood of Cazic Thule' to complete my necro epic 1.0. However, the golems in Plane of Fear are basically perma-camped (when server crashed a week - 5 different parties were there within minutes of server coming up). Can we have an alternative quest or instanced version (just epic loot) for Plane of Fear Epic 1.0 pieces? Thanks!
  20. Draego Augur

How true this is, I understand your pain. Surprisingly these are not the only perma-camped Epic related mobs in the game, but probably the worst ones for being perma-camped. What SOE should do is take out the AON, main reason these mobs are perma-camped, but I doubt that will ever happen either.

While I think this is a great idea, I can tell you it will never bee seen in game. The problem is the loot table, and while you were very specific about addressing the issue to only include Epic related loot, it requires more work than what SOE is currently willing to expend on doing something like this.