Specialization Augs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by The Drood, Oct 30, 2013.

1. The Drood Elder

Question about the actual benefits these Augments ard for The End Game Raiders.
    Now i know these are nice and have been extremely useful over the years
    BUT for the High End toons who are fully raid geared and decked out in t2 to t4 raid gear in every slot and have the best augments available in the said raid gear are these specialization augments worth even using for the Primary and Secondary specialization skills for your class with the overall mana pools are have today with most of us reaching well into the 100k+ manapool mark it brings up the question are thy really worth using and if so would it be really better to use one from each of the skills for primary and secondary specialization.
  2. Iila Augur

In the situations where those augs with +300 or +400 mana will actually be useful, a specialization aug will have provided somewhere around 2,000-5,000 mana. Specialization is a flat mana cost reduction, 2% for the old augs, 2.25%(?) for the new ones. That will apply to every spell you cast of the appropriate type. Stretching out the time before you hit oom, and, if you're like me, giving you more spells to cast to trigger mana return procs to increase the value of that saved mana even more.

You'll not find another aug worth nearly as much mana as the specialization augs, so if you value mana augs, these are the best.

They also have additional benefits, like specialization being the other form of mana preservation that functions under buffs that add a mana penalty, like the druid and wizard damage discs.
    Axxius likes this.
  3. Mintalie Augur

I use both the evocation and the conjuration augs and they are worth their weight in gold. My mana pool is over 100,000 raid buffed and I would never sacrifice them to gain a little more mana. They are $$$.
  4. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

I took out my 15% alteration spec about 6 months ago. I don't go below 60% mana in any event unless I've died or there is a mana drain component to it, in which case that spec aug isn't helping me anyhow.
  5. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I feel like that is some fail logic... The Aug is a guaranteed 2% mana pres... What aug could be more important than that? HP augs are drops in an ocean of HP. AC same deal (unless shield). Mana as you said you don't need it.

You dumping them for heroic agi or heal amount? That's about all I could figure. Even then, 4 heal amount or 3 heroic agi isn't gonna do much to save you. But in the event of a chain pulling group or raid that goes wrong... Those extra thousand or two mana are going to be handy. And that happens more often than 200 HP or 4 Heal Amount or 3 Heroic AGI saving you.
  6. Crystilla Augur

I still use mine and will be camping for the higher version when I have a large block of time as well.

It's just too valuable not to have -- but there are players who feel they're fine without using it.
  7. Axxius Augur

An aug that increases your mana pool by more than 2% obviously. ;)
    Which by today's standards would have to be over 2000 mana, if it was created.
    Since that is not happening, the spec augs are going to remain priceless for mana users.
    Mintalie likes this.
  8. Pirlo Augur

Are the 2 spec augs accumulative?
  9. Brudal Augur

If you mean 2 of the same skill spec augs no, it will take the highest value such as

Anomalous Rock of Alteration Aug: 8 ID: 68174
    MAGIC LORE NO TRADE PRESTIGE
    Slot: All except Charm, Ammo
    Skill Mod Specialize Alteration: 15% (Max: 40)
    &
    Tome of Manipulation Aug: 7 8 ID: 94656
    MAGIC LORE NO TRADE PRESTIGE
    Slot: All except Charm, Ammo
    Skill Mod Specialize Alteration: 15% (Max: 45)
    Required level of 100.

The specialize alteration skill only increases by 45 not 85

If you mean 2 separate specialize skill augs, then yes as it is increasing 2 different skills.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From what it sounds like your not getting a lot of use out of augs designed to provide mana either.
  11. Axxius Augur

No. :(
  12. SpamFactory Augur

wish you could put these in slot 4 so groupers could have the option to put them in their primaries.

I really hate slot 4. raid weapons use slot 8 so I wish group weapons used slot 7.
  13. Vlerg Augur

For casters... aug hardly matter at all, this specialization aug is probably the best.

however, being the best in something that hardly matter... still hardly matters.

2% mana pres, if you are not running of mana, isn't doing anything... but 200 HP isn't doing much either, or 200 mana... 20 AC won't change a damn thing if a raid boss turns on you, and adding 8 spell damage to a 29k ( base dmg) nuke is laughable at best.
  14. roguerunner Augur

The epic troll is the one for WK is a specialize DIVINATION aug, how is that useful?
    Leerah likes this.
  15. Iila Augur

Saying these augs the same as a mana aug worth 2% of your mana pool didn't quite make sense to me. I can't dump my mana pool quick enough to negate out regen, and I have a lot of other mana preservation or return effects that give me a virtual mana pool much larger than my actual mana pool. So I wanted to see the values on how much mana I actually run through going from FM to OOM, and the main time I do that is in a grind group or soloing. I pulled up a lesson burn of me kiting from a couple days ago. Which gave me a nice 40 minute parse where I cast almost exclusively evocation spells and go from fm to oom. After taking into account Gift of Mana procs with some rough math, the specialization evocation aug was worth about 12,500 mana over those 40 minutes.

(And for the curious, I didn't regen and spend nearly that full 630k mana, I had full raid buffs, mod rod, rod of dark rites, and glyph of lost secrets in addition to 4 mana return procs, black wolf, and self buffs)

So if you're like me and exp (group or solo) by dumping mana for 20-30 minutes till oom, then medding up, then the specialization augs are worth much more than the promised 2% of your mana pool.
  16. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

I would argue that if you aren't running out of mana you need to kick it up a notch. You don't get more mana preservation so you never go OOM, you get more mana preservation so you can cast more expensive and less efficient spells instead of your cheap ones.

If you aren't leveraging the additional asset and actually spending more mana, yeah, more preservation isn't going to do much for you.
  17. Hahlfwit Augur

Is there a new spec evoc aug in CoTF? If so I have yet to find it.
  18. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Not yet, next time.
    Leerah and Hahlfwit like this.
  19. Axxius Augur

Just wait till you see a spec ABJURATION one in the next release! :D
  20. Silv Augur

Several Enchanter spells (PBAE stuff in regards to combat) use Divination so it could potentially be useful. I know several Paladin spells used in combat also utilize Divination. However, of all the specialization augs, this probably is the least useful overall.