Vox or FV?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kluwen, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Kluwen New Member

Hello all,

Well I have decided to return to EQ after being gone for quite a while. Just looking for some input in terms of what server might work best. I am looking to start fresh with some new characters. I would like a server with a decent sized, active, population. I will not be boxing or looking for a PL. I enjoy playing and leveling up. Now I realize that no matter what server I join, I really wont be able to group until about 85. I am fine with that. Once I get to that level though, I would like a server with an active population and newb/returning player friendly guilds. I am debating between Vox and FV. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Klu
  2. Toquillaw Augur

Vox is the newest server so the population is spread out a bit more through the levels (but people still get to max pretty fast). You would have more chance of getting groups earlier would be my guess.

FV is a unique server with most items being tradeable. A very different marketplace from the other servers which is fun. For example, you can use attunable items, then later take them off and sell them. I tend to like FV because of its uniqueness, which keeps me going back.

I would probably say to play on both for a bit and see how you like each one. Sometimes it comes down to liking the chat on one server more while you solo/molo, or seeing more people in your level range, or the larger fear selection.
  3. Darzag Elder

FV...FTW...
    Miss_Jackie likes this.
  4. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

FV is a super awesome place to be on. :)
  5. CasualMaker New Member

Better learn Elvish, quick, if you don't start knowing it...
  6. Porterz73 Augur

FV Is typical of many of the old servers it is very brutal for someone of low level. There Are very few groups for very low-level characters. Vox , Being the newbie server seems to have a good level range and therefore much easier to find groups for lower and mid-level characters.

FV's Economy seems to be pretty screwed up, I find things are way overpriced on that server.

Another big negative for FV Is once you're on it you cannot transfer off the server wear VOX you will have the option to transfer off if you decide a better server suits you better later on in your character's life. (Note you can transfer to FV but once there you are stuck)

IMO Go for VOX If you plan to enjoy the lower levels.
  7. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Biggest reason why everything is so expensive here is because almost everything is tradeable. Even the raid gear.
  8. Porterz73 Augur

I've heard that before... "Everything is tradeable so things cost more on FV"... This makes no sense to me and here is why.

1.) if everything is tradeable there will be a higher supply of similar items that are not jammed behind the NO TRADE req, high surplus should drive prices down.

2.) Raid items I can see selling for a lot but common everyday items tend to be way higher on FV, items that are available on all servers.

3.) Lower content raid stuff is easily soloed by high level toons so again should increase the supply of that newbie twink junk.

Rare and twink items will be more but common stuff should be dirt cheap on a server that has so much NO DROP items available.
  9. Felicite Augur

10. Porterz73 Augur

The link adds nothing, if there is a point to be made you should probably elaborate rather than linking common information.

If the point you are making that the demand for Lowbie junk is so high that its driving the prices up that just reinforces my point which is FV is a poor choice for lower level/new characters.

To summarize on the original question why I believe FV is not a great choice for a new player.

1.) Very few groups for lower level
    2.) Expensive to gear a toon via Baz
    3.) No transferring out if you realize you made a poor choice of servers
    4.) The player language thing is a pain (not hard to correct but still a pain)
  11. FVRules Journeyman

FV rules, naturally.
  12. Toquillaw Augur

I started on FV a few months ago, and had no problems at all gearing up a bunch of characters. Prices were all over the place, but all I had to do was buy the one with the lowest price. If there was no decent price, I waited a few days and inevitably there was an option then.

High prices come from the unique items that can be sold, such as the Anniversary quested experience potions.
  13. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

I don't see what the problem is when it comes to prices on FV. Earning plat these days isn't hard to do (if you're a vet player).
  14. Fluid Augur

Been playing mostly FV lately. Typical love hate with a little more love.

Why I love: 50% experience bonus coupled with experience bonus potions couple with hot zones mean levels and AA's fly by. Easy to transfer items between accounts and characters.

Why I hate: Power levelers and twinks love it for all the same reasons. Don't get me wrong, 95% of them are good people. Problem is when you run into one of the 5%.
  15. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

There are a few power levellers in FV (namely the one who was hogging up Feerrott... all the time :p).. Those are the peoples I dislike so much.. >.<
  16. Kluwen New Member

Hello all,

Well I have decided to give FV a go. Rolled a druid (Arwulf) and a Ranger (Kluwen). I have over 2500 loyalty points so I figure I can use the loyalty vendor to get a little seed money. Gonna level up the druid and pass any defiant gear down to Kluwen early on to help with the cost of gearing two toons.

Thank you all for the input,
    Klu
  17. FVRules Journeyman

Great choice. I'm sure youll love it. What guild did you join? I'm not recruiting just wondering if ill be seeing around.
  18. Kluwen New Member

Not in a guild yet.
  19. Felicite Augur

Actually.. my point is the supply is lower than you imagine. Because only Gold accounts that aren't being played at that time can be in /trader.

Back when I played seriously (say 2005), I had box running full time in the Bazaar and I would often park one of two other accounts there when I was not playing. I also paid for 6 active subscriptions, not so much now.

As far as lowbie characters.. you don't really need to buy *anything* until your 50s or beyond, at which point everything is pretty cheap and platinum goes easily.

But stuff costs what it costs because of supply and demand, yes.
  20. Lilly33 New Member

I dont even understand why twink gear is so over priced. Why waste the plat on level 1 gear when you can just use it to get PLed to the levels where people can find groups. Yes please let me spend 75k on a pair of level 1 NToV weapons that will be obsolete before I log off.