Any new progression server coming?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Warlorf, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Tachyon Augur

Well put!

I've played EQ since day one and I can tell you that new servers bring people back to the game. You can argue forever about which type of server is more or less successful after a year or two, but that doesn't change the fact that new servers bring people back to EQ for another run, especially if they are progression based.
  2. Machen New Member

New servers by themselves don't bring people back. The ruleset matters. Fippy/Vulak were far more successful than Trakanon or Vox.
  3. Malachi Augur

I think vox had a great number of things going for it like being a new server right when they go f2p and also fabled mobs spawning at that time. It enjoyed a good population at the beginning. Definitely couldn't sustain that as long as a special rule set server could, but new servers always seem to have a draw when they are well timed in their implementation. You are right though. People who come back to the game want to be eased back into the brand of eq they enjoyed playing. Not anything like the live servers.
  4. Tallor Lorekeeper

Having done Progression 1.0 and 2.0, I am not interested in the short-term gimmick that is a new progression server. I am very interested in a permanent progressive server structure, however.
  5. Mardy Augur

^ hear hear, glad to see Nolrog post this. The progression servers have all served their purpose, both the old and the new timelocked. They drew a lot of people back, many of which turned into a regular Everquest player on a standard ruleset server, others enjoyed the progression servers up until they no longer find fun (however long that takes depends on each individual). These progression servers have given people a chance to play the Everquest they used to enjoy after 10+ years of being away. Just because they eventually get merged with a standard ruleset server, does not mean they failed. Oh not to mention every single players on the progression servers paid the full monthly subscription price, as there are no F2P model for the TLP servers. That's money for SOE.

My g/f and I chose to play on Vulak due to how full Fippy was, we never once regretted playing on the TLP severs. Part of the fun is starting at level 1 with everybody else, that newbie rush feeling, playing the game with like-minded individuals who also enjoy leveling in the older content. It's funny I came to check on the EQ forum just to see if there are any news about a new progression servers. If they come out with a new TLP server, that's when my g/f and I will come back to play again full time.

The best days of Everquest are behind us, we all know that. The height of EQ popularity came during the early years and earlier expansions. It would be wise for SOE to understand people love these progression servers. They should give people what they want and allocate resources to make these players happy. Oh and SOE, can't we have a PvP progression server yet? I mean seriously, it's money you aren't getting right now, money you could be earning, all you need is to get one up.
  6. Stass New Member

All I know is last summer General Chat was close to 1k on fippy, before the TSS launch it was maxed at 300, now its about 400 with TSS with a minimium of 100-150 of them boxes if not more.
  7. Nolrog Augur

Most of the people I know don't join general chat. While it's interesting information, it's anecdotal at best.
  8. Machen New Member

General chat hasn't hit over 600 regularly since the first month or two of the server. And even the first week it was very rare to go over general4.
  9. Machen New Member

It's still one of the most valuable pieces of information we have. Likely the % of players who opt out of general chat doesn't change too much over time, so if the #'s in general chat drop 50% it's more likely people not logging in than everyone suddenly deciding to uncheck general. Either that or Coldfaith just logged in.
  10. Nolrog Augur

The Fippy general seems to have gotten more spammy and political. When it's group LFM or how do I do X or selling item Y, it's enjoyable, but when it turns to those debates and political topics, I drop out.
  11. Machen New Member

I am not arguing for or against its value, just saying that players tend to stay in or opt out.
  12. Pigskin Journeyman

despite the debate, nothing much to answer the OP ... but there is most likely nothing to report anyway

for the record, I'd probly come back if a server started over also

Cheers
  13. Rasuh New Member

I personale would like to see a new progression server at some point soon.
    I got nothing against catching up but there are still old stuff that I would love to see that has past plus somethings would feel easier to catch up on when you work on it as expanssions opens, instead of catching up to it.
    So when SoE comes around to restarting a progression server they will have my money.
  14. Oberon Augur

Catching up is all well and good but when you have no one to catch up with that is not acceptable. For as much as everyone likes to show off their boxes and all this soloing greatness there are just as many people out there who actually like to play with other human beings.

They can merge the two progression servers, all these advanced people who a new player can't do anything with still have each other. Vulak can be reset with whatever differences in the ruleset or timeline and presto magico, new players will have people to play with again.

I get the feeling and it's unfortunate that I get this feeling. But I get the feeling that a lot of the high level players are against things like this because their high level clique is no longer the perceived cool place to be. When they certainly do not have the same compassion for the player who is starting out from level one and has no one to play with.
  15. Lupah New Member

OMG Oberon from MIM? =)
  16. Machen New Member

I wonder how many of the crowd that is looking for a new server now were also pushing for longer expansion locks before Fippy/Vulak started. Seems like it's mostly the same people making the same kind of arguments. Well, you got your longer expansion locks, and now it appears you get an unintended consequence as well--you get to wait the full 3.5 years for the server to finish up before you get your 3 months of classic again. Ironic.
  17. Argosh Augur

I don't think that many of those who voted for longer expansion locks are the same people wanting a new TLP. If they're still paying to play, i'd assume they are happy where they are. Many of us that are waiting for a new TLP are not currently playing on pay to play servers. I myself play now and again on the test server but it gets boring pretty quickly.
  18. Machen New Member

Exactly, the people who wanted longer unlocks were mostly not really interested in anything past velious or luclin or pop. They wanted longer unlocks to keep the server in those expansions as long as possible, then took off once we were past that point.
  19. Argosh Augur

Sorry, I made a mistake reading this sentence. I was thinking maybe there was a vote after my time, which was right before GoD. When before the start of the last TLPs was there a vote for increased expansion times? Maybe I wasn't around for it. I definitely would have voted for longer timers before hand but it was already decided how the expansions would be unlocked by the time I joined up. I would vote for longer expansion times for several reasons. Having a server stay in the expansions I know and love is one but it would also give me more time in expansions I don't have any experience which would be good too. Some people know this content very well. I understand that they don't want or need and extra time, but I don't and it would take me more time to explore/learn new stuff.
  20. Machen New Member

There was no vote, but there was a vocal group of people pushing for it on the forums before Fippy was announced.