Ji Ham announces EverQuest 3

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jeskola, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And they are also both designed for console as well and you are not going to have the same expectations on the number of players in areas on a console game that you would on a PC MMO.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It only seems to show a small number of avatars at one time and it gives no indication on how well it will perform with large numbers of avatars in the same area all doing different things.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Nor did I indicate that's what the video showed.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think anyone is questioning that it can offer high quality and great performance with a low number of avatars to animate such in in a single player game.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Fair point. I don't have examples to show you. What I can say is my main concern isn't how many avatars can be displayed on-screen at once with zero lag, zero hit to graphics, zero hit to game performance.

What I can say is my main concern is delivering the game on time and on budget. Darkpaw is a small studio. While they can undoubtedly pull resources from sister studios or parent company (most likely how they'll make their $30M target budget) it's very difficult to get shared resources aligned with a project's vision without the proper tools. UE5 allows cross-collaboration using their MUE (multi-user editor) unlike many other game development tools which rely on screen-sharing meetings and changes to the gamespace aren't reflected to other developers in real time.

Anyway, I digress. It's obvious there are many more questions than answers. At this point the game hasn't even been announced. Money, talent need acquired which will, likely as not, be a deciding factor in which technologies are employed.

I just really want this game to be the best EverQuest ever. Is UE the right tool? No clue, whatsoever. Maybe the best route is a custom-brewed engine and toolset. Or a different engine. Time will answer our questions. :)
  6. josh Augur

They are going to make EQ3 in RPG Maker
    Tucoh and Skuz like this.
  7. kizant Augur

They should make a true hard core old fashioned experience and go for a text based game.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think that should be a concern as we have a video showing how the number of actors can impact performance and cause plenty of lag. In that case they had a tool to solve the issue but it was dealing with identical models with just two different skins on them.
  9. Tucoh Augur

It's intended that for many changes you merge them into the main branch.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.3/en-US/contributing-to-the-unreal-engine/

Nearly everyone building on Unreal is advised to build their engine code in as plugins as much as possible (which is where 99% of my game engine code is) and in the event that you need a custom engine (which I do), the amount of changes made represent a miniscule amount compared to the core engine code.
  10. Numiko Augur

Tera was released as a PC only game in 2011, it was not until 2018 that an Xbox and PS version was released, and that was just an English language version done by Blue Hole Studio the North Americana publisher. I would not say it was initially developed to work on all platforms, the original Korean developers never did a console version themselves.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

And base it an obscure language to really heighten the experience. Like Esperanto for instance.

"Saluton maristo"

"Suĉu ĝin, ranunkolo"
    kizant likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

None what is being said is indicating to me that this game supports hundreds of players being in an area and displayed on the screen at once like everquest and other MMO's. If it was really happening in these games you think it would be easy to find gameplay footage indicating that.
  13. Strawberry Augur

Svann2 likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Thanks for the video but it does look like the quality and performance did get impacted by the large number of players as I do seem to see lag in that video and poor graphics at times.
  15. Strawberry Augur

Graphics are absolutely a developer skill issue too.

There is a 10 year gap between this Vindictus and Patheon footage. Pantheon uses a far far more advanced Unity engine, yet the result is horrible.

Vindictus' characters are well-modeled, full of charisma and life, animations are solid, hits connect, timings are correct.

Patheon's characters are done by an amateur, they're boring weak models, hits don't connect, timings are completely off.

No amount of 3D software, advanced engine capabilities or processing power can save Pantheon's footage from looking like it was made by an amateur. Nepotism underlies their hiring, they lack the skilled individuals to make a game and have no intention of ever delivering one.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Numiko Augur

I'd like to know where this mythical raid is in Everquest with hundreds of PC's running around doing the event. Open world raiding is a thing of the past, 99% of raids and major events are in instanced zones now with a hard 54 person (or less) limit. Everquest 2 has an even lower limit.

I somehow do not think the dev's of EQ3 will be aiming to create raids involving hundreds of players.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Who said anything about raiding? The main cases of that many players in a zone are hub zones and people tend to complain about lag in them.
    minimind likes this.
  18. Strawberry Augur

I don't know if I have ever seen over 100 people together on my screen. The EC tunnel and MGB used to draw a lot of people, but not over 100 I think.

The guild lobby can have 100+ characters, but it is just an artificial anomaly of AFK characters and boxes. In other MMO AFK players generally get kicked offline.
  19. minimind The Village Idiot

What I have learned from the game engine sub-thread:

1. Some people REALLY like the idea of some version of the Unreal Engine being used for an MMO not yet in development.
    2. Others have pointed out that the engine selection may not be sufficiently proven for massive number of active, independent characters in a single location.

Yes, UE5 (or better) would be neat. No, we don't know if it can work as a future "Everquest 3" might require it.

Cool.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

By the time EQ3 starts production the answer should be proven one way or the other.
    minimind and Nennius like this.