Ji Ham announces EverQuest 3

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jeskola, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Using the oversized cartridge adapter?
  2. ttobey Developer

3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is an upgrade from the current hamsters right?
    Nennius and ttobey like this.
  4. Slasher Augur

Do you know how difficult and expensive it would be to upgrade from an earlier version of UE to a newer one say after 5-10 years ? Let's just say its not realistic. Now you will say other games have done it yes other games that haven't even released yet.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Can I ask, seriously, why you're bent against UE5?
  6. Slasher Augur

I'm not at all. I just don't agree with the idea that using UE5 would save money. I've played an MMO that is using UE4/5 and when you get into massive crowds of people you see the performance issue now maybe thats because its still in alpha but history shows us when these companies try to take a single player engine and use it for an MMO it doesn't always work.
  7. Strawberry Augur

So what is your alternative?
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do we have to decide what graphics engine that they will use for a game that is going to start development in 2025? The only people that matter are the leadership team that will be in charge of developing the new game.
    Svann2 and Nennius like this.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

Exactly. And the dev teams developing mmo's every day have likely 1000x more knowledge of what works than random internet posters. If they think they can make it work its pretty arrogant that someone that isnt even in the industry would claim no you cant do that.
  10. Strawberry Augur

Wait, you and Slasher have adamantly insisted for multiple pages now that Unreal is not suitable for MMO and not used for MMO. With all sorts of arguments how the Unreal engine "can't handle hundreds of players" and lots of other baloney.

People have shown you are both completely wrong by showing multiple MMO using Unreal Engine, and multiple MMO being in development using Unreal Engine.

And now that you're pressed against the wall when asked what alternative you actually had in mind, suddenly the engine question is irrelevant because the game is "in the future" and the "leadership team will decide".

Instead of admitting you were on the wrong side of the argument, you're going to weasel your way out of a debate, by saying the engine question you debated for 4 pages, is now irrelevant. Ridiculous.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Wrong, I have been stating for pages that claiming that in development games are not good examples of why Unreal is a good graphics engine for a MMO.

The only thing I have seen you show is games that have not yet been finished and videos showing a small amount or single actor on the screen.

That being said even if unreal is the best graphic engine to use it doesn't mean that is the one they will or should use. There are other options on the market that may be better suited for the team to use for various reasons.
  12. Strawberry Augur

Can you stop being a professional liar?

I literally showed you a laundry list of finished MMO using Unreal Engine.

You can add Conan Exiles and many other MMO to that list too.

13. Nennius Curmudgeon

BTW, for what it's worth Intrepid Studios is using Unreal on Ashes of Creation. Now back to spectator mode.
  14. Strawberry Augur

Ok then. Name them.

You make all sorts of claims but never back them up.

Name the other engine options on the market that are better suited for MMO.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, it isn't our job to name all the graphics engines on the market that they can choose. And it should be noted there is a red name who is also questioning the ability of Unreal to work with an MMO.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Posting lots of pictures of game announcements is supposed to show that those games are on the market and using Unreal? If you have lists of MMO's that people are playing that use Unreal and have large numbers of players in a single area wouldn't you just provide links to the games instead of posting pictures?
  17. Strawberry Augur

No, you're right. You're maybe onto something Sherlock.

Maybe Epic Games paid these sites to tell everyone MMO use Unreal Engine!

Oh no, crap, they actually do use Unreal Engine, it's not a conspiracy! Well, there goes your argument.

[IMG]
  18. Strawberry Augur

Well, you said there are "other options on the market that are better suited" for MMO.

Name one.

"it's not our job to name them all" bla bla bla. I don't think you can name even one.

I don't think you know the first thing about game engines and are trying to weasel your way out. You're a contrarian who just likes to argue, you launch yourself in a debate you know nothing about. You can't actually back up anything you say.
  19. Tucoh Augur

Yes :D

It's almost certainly less than maintaining your own engine for those 5-10 years
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

There is a saying which goes, one of my favorites, "You can have it good, fast, or cheap. Pick two."

I really, honestly believe Darkpaw knows what they're doing. I also believe UE5 provides the best compromise of cutting edge tech, tools, and future support of all the options. It's not the best engine for everything, nor is it the cheapest. It is off the shelf, it does exist now, and will almost certainly exist for decades to come.

EverQuest has completely redefined the meaning of 'staying power' for me. If I am to be wooed - nay, titillated - once again by an EverQuest 3, I need to know it has the power to stay. It may very well be the last new game I get into in my life. I need Darkpaw to deliver. UE5, I believe, gives Darkpaw and their customers the best possible chance of success here.