Oakwynd - First TLP to dip to medium population within first week of launch?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by wade_watts, May 31, 2023.

1. Atomos Augur

I meet people on every single TLP that fit these criteria.
    TLP Addict likes this.
  2. Doze Augur

Claiming that all 1600 players that you are saying is missing from the server are all toxic players looking to train, KS etc. and that the 1900 that are playing on the server are all kind and respectfull is not only wishfully ignorant, but also (ironically) a defacto toxic strawman argument ...
    WeCameWeConquered likes this.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

That's good. I hope all TLPs have players having fun. That is ALL that matters, having fun but not at the expense of anyone else being able to have fun.
  4. Lejaun Augur

I am surprised that Oakwynd is doing as well as it has been. This server was fighting against the current from day one of its announcement. Between the dedicated review-bomb people determined to make the server fail to D4 being released at the same time to a new rule set (EQ players as a whole hate change), and that we are over saturated with TLP’s, it was always going to be tough.

Despite this, the server has done relatively well. The population, from level 1’s to 50’s seems more friendly than many other TLP’s. There has been competition for OW spawns despite the fact that people can raid AoC multiple times a week. The dreaded FTE mechanic hasn’t actually been that bad, and it’s in some ways has been better.

In general, most people just accept that they didn’t get the first tag, rather than the dps wars of previous servers. The unlock shenanigans have happened, but not nearly as bad as some people thought.

I think the biggest issue is that the legacy bonus just isn’t enough. It’s a great idea, but 10% per max level character bonus isn’t as big as it should be. I’d suggest bumping it to 25% , maxing at 100%. I’ve already done my 50, but the 10% is pretty underwhelming and doesn’t encourage me to roll as many characters as I thought I would.
  5. Sakuraba Augur

Has definitely been in Oakwynd's favor that more people have been playing it from a casual perspective rather than a poopsock perspective.
  6. Triconx Augur

Well it's June 6th and not surprisingly the server is at high. Looks like your sensationalist propaganda bologna is wrong, yet again.

Let's see how the goal posts shift now.

1. DoA - huge population launch
    2. Dead after D4 early access - high population
    3. Dead after D4 official launch - still high
    4. ???? - soon to be you wrong again.

Anti Oakwynd trolls must be so irate.
    TacoTime! likes this.
  7. wade_watts Augur

Good points all around. It's normal for a new TLP to drop into medium population numerous times within the first 10 days. This is normal. This is fine. Everything is fine. This is great. This is expected. Better than expected actually. This is going really great. It's doing better than expected. We don't even want players. This is for casuals. People are at least friendly. This is a great server for casuals. This is great. This is good. I'm happy. This is fun.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How many of the past TLP servers had their population levels monitored this closely shortly after launch? Most of the time people don't care what it is and it is only in cases like this when they are looking to call the server dead to they actually care.
    TacoTime! and Rijacki like this.
  9. Triconx Augur

It's a new trend by the Mischief d riders to monitor any new server that doesn't meet their exact criteria. It happened with Yelinak/Vaniki as well.

They are too busy crying about their so-called ideal server they cannot be bothered actually playing the server which has their ruleset of choice or try a new server, which may surprise them in terms of enjoyment of ruleset.

95% of the complainers have played zero minutes on any of the new special ruleset servers and pretend to be experts on the matter and can make well-informed judgements on the rulesets. It's the equivalent of the armchair coaches who never played the sport in their life pretending they know everything about the sport by looking at stat sheet online. Or A person who claims to hate sushi but never even tried it before.
    Rijacki likes this.
  10. Soriano Augur

Hate to bust your bubble but have played daily since launch, nothing wrong with the population for a 20+ year old game a lot came to play on this new server, will it last 6 months? who knows, but there is nothing at this time wrong with the new server. it was resources well allocated.... and the FTE works quite well.
    Lejaun and Rijacki like this.
  11. TacoTime! Journeyman

Using the same resource as the OP - Mischief is medium more often than it's High.
  12. code-zero Augur

Okay it's 4:35 PDT on 6/6 and Oakwynd is HIGH population. Not looking good for this prediction you made
    Rijacki likes this.
  13. Bullsnooze Augur

People are still clinging to this DoA thing? That's pretty sad.

That's not a 'strawman' argument.

A real strawman argument would be claiming the server is 'DoA' because for 1 hour the server reported a 'medium' population.

Essentially misrepresenting data to make the Oakwynd idea easier to attack.
    Rijacki likes this.
  14. Muramx Augur

What you consider "the server is doing great look high population" is different then when I log in and see EC and Auction channel down to 25% of what it was. I see more people trying to buy Krono in bulk now then selling items. They can't take plat with them but the can take Krono.

People seem to equate a high population with a healthy one. If 100 people were 6 boxing and 100 people only played 1. That's 700 accounts that are active. Financially that would be good for DPG. But does it mean the server is active? Take those numbers and compare them to if 700 single accounts.. id wager both servers would feel a lot different from each other.

If we saw the numbers it wouldn't surprise me if more then half of the accounts running were boxes. In my guild I log in an there will be 35 people on. I click on hide boxes and it drops to 10 people. You can tell the server has a high population but you can also tell there are a lot.. and I mean a lot of box accounts running. That's not a healthy population, no matter how you try to cut it.
  15. wade_watts Augur

My bubble of actual facts reported from the DPG website has been burst by your anecdotal experience.
  16. Bullsnooze Augur

Let me guess - You think if they created another Mischief your above assumptions wouldn't be 'true'? What I learned is to stop assuming without hard data, because the assumption is probably wrong.
  17. Triconx Augur

I'm still waiting for D4 launch to kill Oakwynd. When is that happening?
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  18. Doze Augur

Except it was exactly that and the fact that your comment in where you made it has since been deleted would seem to suggest that either you and/or the mods realized this to be true also.
    "A straw man argument is the logical fallacy of distorting an opposing position into an extreme version of itself and then arguing against that ..."
  19. Bullsnooze Augur

My comment was removed because it was somewhat rude - I kind of expected the removal because as of late they are keeping an eye on my replies, but that's whatever - you can only take so much of this forum before needing a good 1-2 month break anyway.

That aside, Oakwynd had a successful launch, it also has a decent population for being experimental, and the opps are clearly salty that people can have more than 1 game installed at a time. I don't know what else to say other than I'm looking forward to seeing the evolving ruleset + FTE on future TLPs that I may be interested in.
  20. Muramx Augur

No if they made a Mischief 2.0 there would be lots of boxes as well... But there would be a lot more singular or 2 box players then there are on Oakwynd. This last Sunday (not sure if it's this thread too many) at 3pm est there where
    Around 150 people in EC selling and 180ish people in auction channel. The economy is a good indicator of how a server is doing. Look at the economy on FV and Mischief, expensive, but the server is flooded with plat and a lot of players. Povar and Luclin have horrible economies and if you jumped on either of them good luck finding a group because they are pretty dead.

Grouping and LFG situation is another good thing to look at. The first weekend was the initial explosion. Groups were plentiful. I could barely get a LFG up before I would get 3-4 offers then it turned into 45mins. Then yesterday during prime hours I was jumping chat channels, running to the 3 zones for my level, play clicking through the couple of picks and it took 2 hours to land a group and there was never more then 10 people in LFG. Even the amount of picks are sliming down at a steady pace.

People gave it a shot and now it's a sinking ship. Krono lords are trying to buy as much Krono as they can before they bail.