Monthly cost should discount the senior.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Jun 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I just read a comment about a person paying for this game monthly and the fact they are on a limited budget because they are now a senior on a fixed income.

I believe it would be a good idea to impliment a discount to the game. Considering some of us qualify and played from the start, to keep up with game play the term 'prestige' also effects us. Having to be a sub to use gear to keep up or even play current content is costly on those with fixed income.

It is expensive.

Please consider this idea.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can already get a decent discount if you pay for a yearly subscription and you pay just a little more then you would have back when the game launched. If you are paying monthly it is about $0.50 a day and yearly is $0.33 a day, either way you look at it that is cheap entertainment.
    Eteract, Brildon, Paladin and 5 others like this.
  3. Spacemonkey555 Augur

I hate the idea of discounts for special people. Don't care if you're an elderly veteran freemason disabled cat owner or whatever, I don't want to subsidize your access. Already forced to support people with taxes, rather not do it in EQ. Fair equal charge for each account/expansion, imo.
    Mesil, Eteract, Brildon and 4 others like this.
  4. Ultrailoveyou New Member

I think your idea is great!
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Just when you thought you've seen it all
    Fenthen, Duder and Nennius like this.
  6. Stymie Pendragon

I'm not against the idea at all, but they do offer quite a lot of free content for people on low income as is.
    Szilent and Nennius like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

According to this website, and I do tend to doubt these sorts of things, so take it or leave it.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

The original EQ monthly subscription price of $9.99 would, when adjusted for inflation, equal $17.34 today. So, one could argue that we are, in fact, already getting a bargain on the monthly price. Having said that, it is an old game and the graphics are just a bit dated. So, could a small adjustment in the price be in order? Maybe, if it were also publicized and it got more people paying.

It is worth keeping in mind that the Daybreak offices are in the San Diego area and it is not cheap to live here. That has to be factored into any economic decision Daybreak management might choose to make. Gas, electricity, water, trash pickup, and most of all housing prices make San Diego one of the most expensive places in the U.S. to live and the employees need to compensated accordingly.

Having spouted all of that, for me it is a bargain and far, far cheaper than other things I could be doing. As always, your mileage will vary.
    Aanuvane and Stymie like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I am against the idea and I am a disabled, senior citizen with limited income esp now with gas so high.

It seems to be enough of a struggle for them to hire decent help at the wages they pay now and if they cut the membership fee then we, the players, would suffer.

If you manage your money you can afford this game. Maybe not how you want it but you can play. Sometimes you have to trade off or adjust your wants and your reality.

While there is nothing wrong with asking for a discount the poster your referring to stated they only wanted to play on TLP, wanted a discount for not playing any of the other games, and it was both them and their brother and it was too expensive for 2 people on TLP.

They can easily group together playing free on live or even on test (and get it all).

This is from EQ itself:

New EverQuest rates as of June 12, 2005: $14.99 per Month

This is not from EQ:
    In 2005, your burger cost an average of $1.19

Those big macs are now over $5 so say they have gone up 4 x what it was

You would now be paying 4 x $14.99 if the game had kept track with the big mac which would be over $55

Its cheap entertainment and well worth it.

Eteract, Aanuvane and Nennius like this.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

The people with the most time to play should pay the least? If dividing time played against sub paid, the discount is built in.
    Eteract and Kaenneth like this.
  10. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Honor these veterans of life now!

Reserved spots in the buff piles, guild halls, camps, specially accessible portals that ease travel, "Early Bird" mission bonus loot, special bazaar hours, neighborhoods that restrict plots and access to characters under a certain age.

Note: Please enable these features for those with an AARP (Advanced Age Role Player) card or special heirloom placard so those excluded from these groups can borrow it.
    Brildon, Duder and Tucoh like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

If I start seeing ads for this AARP on the television I will find you and hurt you. The ones for the other one are quite bad enough, thank you. Having said that, could I get a G.O.Ms.P. card? That would be Grumpy Old Meanspirited Player card. That I would like and NO!, you can't walk on my lawn.
    Aanuvane likes this.
  12. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I'm for this idea. Senior citizen discounts are offered by many companies. I wager the seniors that play this game have spent untold thousands of dollars on EverQuest over the years. They have paid their dues as far as I'm concerned.

What I'd really like to see are discounts for multiple accounts. Many of us box and pay for additional accounts and it would be greatly appreciated to have some kind of discount.
    Dre. likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is no reason to offer a senior citizen discount for EQ. You can get a sub for 119.88 a year and the yearly expansion for $36.00 after your membership discount. This leaves you paying about $0.41 each day over the year which is a pretty cheap form of entertainment for an entire year.

A lot of places that offer senior citizen discounts do it to attract their business during hours which would normally be slower.
    Eteract and Nennius like this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

I can play EQ for a month. Or I can have 3 beers in a bar. Or I can have almost 1 beer at a sports event.
    Eteract likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If this were to happen you would need to prove you were a senior. This would mean more checks. They would need more personal information. I don't see them wanting to add more checks nor players wanting to give more information. Also most seniors have more available funds to play than those younger players who are working 2 jobs with a family.

If you really can't afford to play EQ go F2P.
    Eteract, Herf, Leerah and 3 others like this.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

EQ is about the cheapest entertainment I can think of. I pay more for youtube.
    Eteract and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  17. Trevor Elder

seniors are the majority of the playerbase
    Herf, Leerah, Kaenneth and 1 other person like this.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

All the game does need are just more and revamped account models which I had suggested several times.

Price discussion from today

My suggestion from a month ago:
    Measurements for strenghtening the community

6.5 months ago
    New account models including Limited Lifetime Membership

3.5 years ago:
    Adjusting the game to the actual market situation

It does not make sense to discount dedicated user groups. How should this be approved at all ? There was a discussion about inflation four years ago where users had posted old subscription prices and someone calculated the inflation cleared prices which you can view here as a record.

Big Mac burger costs are a weak indicator for money inflation and currently many prices have been increased unrealistically high. Better money inflation indicators are cheap bread and beer products which can be bought at many discounter stores for the same price. But currently bread is overpriced in europe just because people went panic and hoarded flour and similar grain products. Another good money inflation indicator for the future is the money stock but the market situation is difficult to analyse for an amateur as there are many factors.
  19. KermittheFroglok Augur

Well, yes & no. The thing most seem to be forgetting on this topic is that EQ is part of a bundled service. You don't really pay for EQ, you pay for AllAccess membership. Most of the people I play with in PlanetSide 2 seem younger mid 30's down, do know a guy in his 60's that also plays PlanetSide 2.

But either way I'd agree with everyone else that feels the pricing is actually pretty low. DBG really hasn't increased the cost for inflation so it's effectively gone down over the years. Unless you're boxing (which isn't required) a lot of accounts this is a pretty inexpensive hobby, especially when you consider how low the hardware requirements are.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If they make a discount for selected user-groups, then they have to earn the money back some other way.
    Do we really want more pay-to-win than what we already got?
    Eteract, Nennius and Waring_McMarrin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.