Why do so many zones in Luclin have bad exp modifiers and can this be changed?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hamshire, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Hamshire Augur

Luclin isn't my favorite expansion but its big and has a lot of pretty cool zones yet It feels like the only good exp spot in Luclin that isn't an aoe group and or that can hold more then one group is Grieg's End and its because so many of the other zones have trash exp modifiers. For me personally Grieg's End gets old fast and having the majority of the server all try and cram into that one place can also stir up drama rather quickly.

Long story short here could some of the other zones get there exp modifiers buffed so we aren't locked into Greig's End again on the next round of TLPs? Maiden's Eye, Akheva Ruins, Umbral Plains, and Ssraeshza Temple ( outside of the Mines ) are an example of some zones that I feel that could use some love.
  2. TheDohn Augur

All ZEM were normalized several years ago. GE doesn't have a higher ZEM than any other zone. It's just brainlessly easy, and so the majority of bad players go there because it is failure proofed and can be done while switched off.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

ZEM's were slightly normalized, in that a few outlier zones on the upper and lower end were adjusted. While I haven't tested GE vs. other Luclin zones specifically to know their numbers, I can guarantee GE has a higher ZEM than some other zones. :)
    Bardy McFly and yerm like this.
  4. yerm Augur

Patently false. I've put a lot of time into farming in maidens eye and and akheva ruins in the pursuit of akheva blood drops while grinding. The xp per kill for the same exact level mob (and similar model type, hooded robed dude) is slightly lower than griegs if killing in AR, and massively lower in ME. Killing in the grey for meteor dust, you get roughly HALF the experience per kill as a similar level mob in griegs end. It's really bad. I even just yesterday went to the deep (now quite empty!) and tried out the yellow con mobs. I found the trash on the way was very similar to AR and the yellow cons were not worth it. Acrylia caverns is the only zone on par but the mobs are lower level than central GE and there are just nowhere near the necessary spawns to sustain even a single good group.

If you want xp in a luclin zone, your only decent option is griegs end. Every other choice is quite noticeably slower.
  5. Arctodus Elder

Exp needs to be as good as I through out the game.
  6. Getsmurfed Journeyman

I strongly agree here. There's so many zones in Classic -> Luclin that are great zones but for one reason or another have gone tremendously underused because the ZEMs are so atrocious. Permafrost / Splitpaw / Dalnir / Howling Stones / Seb to name a few. Some fresh ZEMs to encourage exploration / use of new zones would not only be refreshing but adding variety would drive down a lot of toxicity. You'll still have competition over epic camps etc, but at least alleviate the pressure for levelling. Feels really bad when Kunark launches and the only camp worth anything is Kennels + Offduty + Over/Under. Give us some options man. Make Howling Stones harder and extremely rewarding like it is on P99.
    andross77 and Herf like this.
  7. Faydra Augur

I think a new TLP with significantly altered ZEMs would be an interesting change of pace.
    andross77 likes this.
  8. Vulken9 Journeyman

It is not just luclin. I realize xp rates are intended to drive xp pot sales, but I'd much rather pay more per month to reduce grinding time than deal with xp potion duration. For many, the time to level a character is a huge detractor and at this point in the game's life cycle, is just poor game design when you are competing with more recent games.

There's still plenty to do at max level and with pickzones, there's no need to keep people spread out, level wise, on a tlp.

I think Selo had the right approach but that's just me.
  9. GRACUS Lorekeeper

I Agree with this
    Stop making TLPS grind fests and allow us to focus more on the lore of the game via quests and what not. So many quests in EQ for good items. I'd rather spend my time doing these quests vs trying to grind out AAs which is so boring but necessary.
  10. Faydra Augur

Thought you were kidding until I realized you were serious.

Lore is probably the least of their concerns for TLP's.
  11. Machen New Member

Play past the first few expansions, and your wish will be granted.
    andross77 likes this.
  12. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yeah Gates onwards has lots of lore
    andross77 likes this.
  13. GRACUS Lorekeeper

The point we are trying to make is the xp grind takes away from doing the lore. It is brainless grinding in a very short unlock period which takes away from the whole game experience. I am not asking for some crazy xp server but enough to to max out pertinent AAs/lvls reasonably atleast 2 weeks before the next expansion. Now early expansions is fine because there are not alot of AAs. but as servers progress and even with the xp boost in GoD AAs really start to become a chore. Try telling someone to get all progression done/Max pertinent AAs/raid within 8 weeks during the EoK expansion good luck with that because it is impossible even with a 100+ hour playtime week.
  14. Triconix Augur

Besides COV, EOK was my biggest slack off expansion to date and it only took me 9 weeks to complete, including a 3 week period I took a break for the holidays, on live while it was all brand new. If I even gave half the effort I normally do, that would have easily been cut by at least 5 weeks and that's definitely not playing anywhere near 100+ hours a week.

For example, the next expansion, ROS, had the extra effort of having a level increase and a "mini raid" mission and that expansion took me 4 weeks to complete during the holidays, which included another week break.
  15. Shakara Augur

Why is that a problem though? once you hit EoK you are pretty close to live where you get an xpac once every 12 weeks. Why rush to the end where there is not much there?
    andross77 likes this.
  16. GRACUS Lorekeeper

starting in CoTF there is so much that needs to be done in order to be able to contribute to a raid force that it is impossible to get all that done within time. most guilds do not back progress that far so it is up to individual to get it done which is impossible without a guild.
  17. Xhartor Augur

Ignoring that you can AE (or use to be able too) in AC, AR, ME, and Ssra.
    In a conventional group Inner Acrylia Caverns and Mines in Ssra should be on par with GE for exp if not better. AC being a considerably better loot. However both of those only support 1 group.

ME is a lower level zone the rest, which lower the exp return.
    UP mobs have too much HP for a competitive kill rate.
    Ssra has to many caster that take expanded amount of time to pull, also Elites are a much stronger then the other trash in zone.
  18. Getsmurfed Journeyman

Kennels >= IC/OC >= SSRA Mines >>>> Everything else. The shear insane amount of spawns and respawn time on Kennels blows every other camp out of the water, you just need the DPS to stomp it. Every other camp other than those 3 don't even hold a candle to the power of the top 3.

EDIT: Kennels double charm w support DPS is the only camp that can even come close to Deep AE and it still doesn't compete with 30% less XP roughly
  19. yerm Augur

ME has a significantly reduced zone experience modifier, as does the grey. It's not about mob levels; you could go into the akhevan fort or the east side and fight blue cons at 60, doesn't matter, the xp return is almost half of what you'd get for killing a mob of the same level in griegs. Because many of the randoms and traps can spawn mobs over level 55, it wasn't a really good ae zone either. The zones over in that direction, ME & UP & AR & VT, are all gorgeous zones... that nobody goes to for xp, just raids or raid keying. Better modifiers so people grind there would improve luclin a lot.
  20. Auedar4lyfe New Member

There are several approaches that would work to stop people from doing the same zones over and over again....one would be to normalize all the ZEMs and every zone (dungeon or not) would give the same exp per mob at a given level, or alternatively it could be based on level * the overall health of the mob so that certain zones with higher mob difficulty are not detrimental.

Alternatively they could have weekly exp bonuses that rotate like they have (had?) on live.

Either way it would be nice to be able to experience new zones without feeling like you are shooting yourself in the foot/wasting your time.