Paladin Hate/Threat verus Warrior Autoattack

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Belkar_OotS, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Push on our raids, you will be benched. Push is a no go unless required to posistion a mob, then certain individuals will perform the task.
    Allayna likes this.
  2. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

More than likely it wasn't used as I was mainly off tanking junk, usually I try to get it used on Feri or the Rhino dude.
  3. p2aa Augur

Not understanding the question, Crush is a 24 sec refresh timer, so where is it a problem with a 2 min timer ?

What spell are you using to tag a mob ? It need to be a stun or crush for the hate override, or also FoD.
    If you use the lvl 112 crush, it's only + 5-6 k hate compared to the lvl 115 crush. I don't think it's questionable to use it as a tag mob thing, especially if the other timer 6 spells aren't needed in raid.
  4. markkk Lorekeeper

have you guys tried using low lvl stun spells and blind to get aggro and then use stun spells that land?
  5. Triconix Augur

You only get 2 casts the 2and minute.
  6. Wulfhere Augur

The Audacity line has hate override and it was designed for tagging.

For bosses, where I don't want to use a debuff slot, I tag with FoD.
    For adds, I tag with FoD (it's in my tagging hotkey) + Fervent.

I believe my method generates more aggro over the life of the mob and affords a more useful spell gem.

What you are failing to grasp (in this discussion) is the realization that spell gems are precious real estate. Each spell needs to earn a spell gem and, for a paladin, super long recast spells like Timer 6, Timer 3, Grief, Timer 20 (dichotomic), Timer 21 (alliance), simply often do not.

With each expansion, a new spell might be introduced that quite literally replaces and makes obsolete a spell that previously was always or regularly memorized.

In ToV, we see that Burst can replace Grief.

Since VoA, for me at least, Audacity has been competing for a spell gem with Timer 6 Crush. It was always situational which was better for me (do I need MR debuff? Do I need to build aggro on a parked add? etc.). In ToV, Audacity got a bigger boost (65%) in hate over time making it's use even more compelling. Meanwhile, Timer 6 Crush got only a 19% boost, to which some complained in Beta, and so I think it has lost it's spell gem.
    Allayna likes this.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

No reason to do that, although there are a couple of caveats.

Low level stuns lack hate override so don't use them for aggro. In stun bane events, yes they can be used to add more stun spell gems. In particular, Cease and Desist have no timers and only 6-8s recast times with AA focus ftw.

Flash of Light (blind) no longer has high aggro since the debuff aggro nerfs (over a decade ago). Blind does work on nearly all mobs (including raid bosses) so it still has some very niche use as a pulling and crowd control tool.
  8. Plumbus Lorekeeper

They should give Paladins silent casting , so they can live while doing their primary job of healing.
  9. josh Augur

I would actually be curious to see at what point each class can no longer beat spike of anger procs. A war with spike of anger just auto attacks, and then another person without spike of anger uses everything they have to keep it. Interestingly, if the spike of anger person taunted occasionally, the more aggro the other person generated, the faster they would be unable to keep up.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  10. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

What!

What!

Also something to remember on hate override, it must be the first spell to land on the mob. Why I choose insta cast refute to tag. Again, we all Tank (not heal) differently.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

lol What?

Refute does not have hate override.
  12. Szilent Augur

doesn't really need one, though. can tag with Rot Vulnerability, obviates the pulling concern
  13. Wulfhere Augur

Interesting question. It has that SPA 455 that was nerfed right out of WAR Expansive Disharmony and SK Expansive Distraction because they were crazy powerful.

With just auto attack, each proc (at 115) is adding baseline:

1: Decrease Current HP by 2640
    2: Increase Hate by 17600
    3: Increase Current Hate by 1%

Pretend the first swing proc'ed, so that would be apx 22k hate + 220 (1%). It progresses from there. Once the warrior has say 1.5M total hate that 1% adds 15k per proc and it keeps climbing. Soon after that each proc exceeds the what other tanks can pulse with their typical instant +hate abilities. Some long reuse, damage abilities (e.g. harm touch) can take a big lead for longer I guess.
  14. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

That is correct, but... not very often do we have time to stop and cast on every mob to bring to the raid.

Another good pulling tool, but no hate is associated to that debuff. That is why I use refute, it allows me to have agro and helps maintain it.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

Ah well, FoD has hate override and is instant cast (at max AA). Why aren't you advocating FoD over Refute if "casting on the move" is your real argument?
  16. josh Augur

Wulfhere already explained what i mean, but just in case you didn't catch it. spike of anger increases your hate by 1% of your current hate, so if you have 1k hate, it gives you 10 more, if you have 1 million it gives you 10k more, if you have 1 billion it gives you 10 million more. somewhere in there is the point where you cannot keep up with it. I'm curious to know where that is for each class.

Could take a half an hour if all the warrior is doing is auto attacking, but it will happen eventually.
  17. Wulfhere Augur

I wonder if this is why people are reporting that /taunt and threat abilities are not working in that other thread? If the bug reports involve a warrior with Anger proc weapons, then even Ageless Enmity will appear to fail because it only adds +15000 hate on top. One Strike of Anger would erase that instantly and if it's late in the fight, places the warrior way way beyond even that. Lol, that 1% just keeps getting more powerful with each expansion.
  18. p2aa Augur

At 2 min 6 sec, you will have cast 3 more crush, ending at 2 straight min is splitting hair lol, like any fight will end exactly after 2 min.

It depends if you want to generate a biggest aggro lead right at start or not, crush will help adding there more than fervent.
  19. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

it is a very viable source, recast is 9 sec's, not bad not great, where as Refute/Protest is 3 secs. Typically if I want to snag a few mobs, its refute then 2 rot clickys, then back to refute type of order.
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Why not memorize Refute and Protest then? They're not on a spell timer.