With Holly gone, what do you think the future of EQ and EQ TLP's will be?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Mar 7, 2020.

1. MMOer Augur

2. Pappasalt Augur

Perhaps one that will know what it's playerbase wants /shrug
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

This.
  4. Stagentti Augur

Hopefully some original TLPs or at least different.

Not recycling the same stuff over and over.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. Lumiens Augur

Looking her up now, I find it curious that she has a degree in Journalism and worked for Disney, etc. Not really the background I would have imagined.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Who are you looking at?

The person taking over from Holly https://www.linkedin.com/in/jennchan.

She has tons of EQ experience, if I recall correctly whey they said "can't be done for techincal reasons" she was the one to prove them wrong.

This could be good for TLP servers, lots of times they have said they can't do something, this may mean then can. It would be even better if she can find a way to change things on TLPs without effecting live.
  7. Lumiens Augur

Sorry, I'm referring to Holly's background, in regards to Pappasalt's comment about her being out of touch with the playerbase.
  8. Paincake Elder

No idea what it means, but here is what I hope/wish for:

1. Remastered Everquest (graphic models, animation, sound, UI)

I know this is a HUGE undertaking, and I would suggest/recommend they begin doing it exclusively for a new TLP beginning in Classic (no Kunark/Velious, etc. at first) to limit the amount of changes needed.

2. TLP Exclusive Content - Call it "Everquest Restart" or something

It's obvious that the vast majority of EQ players prefer the old expansions over the newer ones. Most players jump ship on a TLP around the launch of Luclin or PoP. Each TLP after that point hemorrhages players drastically. Why? There are lots of reasons/speculations why. Personally I'd say it is because the game changed quite a bit. Items requiring levels to equip (this wasn't a thing for the base game and 2 expansions). Dungeon and zone designs with huge halls, not the skinny twisty pathways we had to learn/memorize/navigate like in SolA/B, U/LGuk, etc. This changed with Luclin. Teleportation being made easy with Nexus then PoK. The bazaar, which made it near impossible to haggle with other players on prices. <Anything that hurts/limits player interaction with each other in an MMO should be reconsidered>. Then in much later expansions, Defiant gear (which ruined 90% of all previous gear by far), as well as mercenaries - something that should never been in an mmo.

So I would like to see the company develop expansions of NEW content, with these parameters in mind, moving forward from Kunark/Velious, or hell even from the base game. But keeping true to everything about Classic, and not changing stuff. Just new content to conquer.

3. Everquest 3

No idea what this would look like. In my head it seems a lot like Pantheon. But like EQ2, I worry it would lose the charm that EQ1 has. The bugs and unintended gameplay is what gives EQ1 that distinct charm that other mmos have forsaken. Forced limitations on pretty much every aspect of a game is what kills that charm.

4. Everquest - Dark Souls Hybrid

God could you imagine! Haha. The Warrior up front, toe to toe with the badass mob, timing his blocks, holding aggro. The Cleric in the back casting heals and stamina regens (maybe even have a bard or shaman do the stamina). The rogue or monk behind the mob constantly moving as to avoid the swings, and being careful not to get too much aggro. Wizard somewhere, nuking the hell out of it. The enchanter mezzing the adds as they come in, charming one perhaps and sending it into the fray. All with the look, feel, lighting, and sound of Dark Souls. Yeah, it's an insane dream, but one is allowed to dream. Haha :)
    skattabrainz and Risiko like this.
  9. Nolrog Augur

Since Jenn has been working closely with Holly for the last 5 years and presumably has been involved in every TLP decision up until this point, I would imagine it means nothing different for the future of EQ or the TLPs.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Herf Augur

Similar to when Brad left.
  11. johncritons Journeyman

we get free kronos now
    Herf likes this.
  12. Herf Augur

Hot damn! YES!
  13. Numiko Augur

To me EQ was nothing but an afterthought to Holly, EQ2 was her baby and got most of her attention .. when she got put back in charge of EQ during the SOE sell off and subsequent layoffs it seemed even her producer letters were kind of meh.... guess i have to write something efforts.

She put on a good face but you could tell she just was not as interested in EQ as she was in EQ2.
  14. taliefer Augur

Not really.PoP has been the peak of every TLP, then they release a new one that kills, or drains the population of the current one
    Herf likes this.
  15. Paincake Elder

Ok, then just after PoP. The whole thing is debatable. :) EQ definitely means different things to different people. There's a reason that P99 stops at Velious and refuses to go any further. It was the last of the "Classic Feel". Luclin changed that quite a bit. Then PoP even more so.

Some love the Live server experience. Personally I haven't been able to get into it. I did the whole Heroic Character - level 85 thing a couple of years ago. Made a few of them actually. It was so over-bloated, I didn't even know where to begin. Everything, from the HUGE amount of AA abilities that apparently is EQ's interpretation of WoW melee abilities (casters also have a ton of AA's you have to incorporate into your "rotation"), to the insane amount of stats on the gear - nearly all with clicky effects, to the whole questing system, etc. It was just too much. I tried, my brain melted. All of that awesome stuff you worked so hard to get back in classic, just for the tiny bit of stats on gear, or whatever, just seemed to be "meh" in Live. Then onto the mercenary thing, I mean sure, it's great if you're just going to solo, but really? Pretty much just makes everything trivial.

Let's face it, EQ over the years, has tried to adapt to be more inline with modern mmo's, with it's easy-going faceroll difficulty. It's pathetic.

That's why servers like P99 stopped at a certain expansion. "Something" changed later on.
  16. Herf Augur

That sums up why I never got into "live" as well, one it got past an expac. or two after PoP. There's no sense of scalability!

Satire Swami visualizes the future of EQ: spell gems surround the perimeter of the screen. There are so many activatable abilities that the game just allows you to divide them up into Offensive and Defensive then press a button to randomly activate one. Combat?

You hit for 3,254,123 (non-critical.)
    A super epic, heroic, fabled, gigantic, giant rat takes (mitigated) 254,123.
    Your +1000 bane super ...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ glows brightly.

It's just not fun. I'll go out on a limb here and say, even if they just divided all the current DPS and HPs by 100 the game might seem a bit more realistic, like we're back in Sebilis fighting mobs there.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Every one of these is a horrible idea.

1) As much as I'd like updated graphics, A) It would cost way too much and B) the current popular art-style (EQNext, aka "WoW-style") looks like garbage.

2) There is a massive amount of content for players to enjoy post-PoP for TLPs, they just don't want to play them for various reasons. (And it isn't even because they're too hard, EQ has become SO much easier for old content).

3) They've tried, and failed, to make EQ3 like 4 times. Each time they pissed away EQ1's money to do it. Use EQ1 money to improve EQ1. New EQ games can piss off.

4) lol no.
  18. Beimeith Lord of the Game

They stopped at a certain expansion because that's all the code they stole from SOE. They don't have access to the server side code for later expansions.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  19. PVPme Augur

You're clueless.
    Risiko and Sollix like this.
  20. Paincake Elder

Please see this thread -

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...sion-server-starting-with-all-classes.263732/

Posts # 5, 10, 11.

Obviously you seem to be against all of my ideas for various reasons. So I will ask you a simple question. What would you do with Everquest to keep it going into the future?