Progression server - Starting with ALL classes.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by NubixCube, Mar 7, 2020.

1. NubixCube New Member

The title spells out the idea. Would this be a possibility? I think a lot of people would be interested to have a BL or Zerker from the beginning of the server, instead of having to switch mains and power level the class once it is released (if the server is even still 'kicking' at that point, which for the case of Zerker is usually arguable).

It would be awesome to be able to play a Berserker on a progression server, but by the time GoD is released the golden age of that server is already long gone. Being able to play these classes at launch would be a wonderful new experience in the classic game.
    Xanathol likes this.
  2. JooJooFlop Trainer of Trainers

Lots of people have asked for that along with earlier race/class combination unlocks (would love to be a frog monk right now on Mangler) and who knows maybe we'll get it this time, but I suspect it's more work than many realize.
  3. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

A lot of the issue is the complete lack of itemization for Beastlords and Berzerkers before their intended expansions.
  4. taliefer Augur

Except the opposite. Beast lords and zerkers are fully itemized in old world content , the only exception is plane of sky quests
    Xanathol, Skuz and NubixCube like this.
  5. Paincake Elder

See, this is what confuses me. "More work". I mean, are we not to expect that a company should actually WORK? Isn't that what we are paying for? To think DBG/DPG is broke is ridiculous.

So many excuses that people throw out, like why there aren't any GM's to police the botters. Why we can't have an EQ3. Why they will never remaster EQ. Hell, why they haven't ever updated the freaking UI so that you can actually read the text when playing on 1440 or 4k!

It's ridiculous. Yes, they should absolutely WORK to adjust the game with the modern world. And yes, we should absolutely expect them to WORK since we are paying them money.
    Vicus and Bard2019 like this.
  6. Nolrog Augur

And the epics during Kunark when everyone else gets them.

But it's not so much the gear itemization, significant work would have to be done to put the spells/tomes in while making sure that they do not further imbalance things and also make sure that the merchants do not also end up selling other stuff that would imbalance. Plus, if you are allowing all classes, then why can't I be an Vah Shir beastlord? If I can be a Vah Shir BST, then why can't I be a Vah Shir Shaman?

Is it possible, sure it's possible. But it would also be very unbalancing since they are both very powerful classes.
  7. taliefer Augur

How would they be unbalancing? They actually were balanced for old content when they were introduced. I just don’t buy that as a reason. Especially when monks exist~
    Xanathol and Skuz like this.
  8. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

Agreed - Monks, Necros, Chanters, Mages, Wizards would easily dominate them. In terms of buffs / debuffs the beastlord line offers nothing unique for the era.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db...vel=60&opt=And Lower&expansion=&action=search
  9. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

"Significant Work" Takes money to make money. This would be a cool AF unlock for new TLPs that a ton of people would enjoy and pull more blood to servers. Let's be honest here, EQ's business model isn't keeping servers alive long term. It's bringing in as many people as possible at a launch to cash in on that sub and potion cash with the rush with every new TLP. This feature would get alot of people pumped, it's something new and more importantly FUN.

Honestly the Miragul idea was amazing, there are two reasons it flopped.
    1) You have Phinigel who was literally just finishing that era. Seriously, use your brains here guys. It's not rocket science. (This is half the reason I'm excited Holly just got boot / "left for a better opportunity" any manager who decided that was a great idea obviously isn't running any fortune 500 companies.)
    2) It was what...November? Mangler just launched in March. With Coirnav before that in March, and Agnarr before THAT in March. You can't just keep doing it at that frequency with that design. It's pretty obvious. I mean really, you went from every 12 months like clockwork and decided hey, let's throw another in at the 6 month mark. BRILLIANT!

I wont even comment on the lost opportunities with veteran rewards that just happened.
    ajschliewe likes this.
  10. Paincake Elder

Please elaborate on the "significant work". Also please explain how that any "significant work" is unreasonable. Also please help me understand how you know that it would take "significant work" for any aspect of EQ programming or design.

This excuse gets thrown out constantly. But nobody, except key people at DBG, could definitively say whether this or that is "significant work".

Further, everyone wants to believe "significant work" = "too costly". Again, that's a huge assumption in a lot of areas. Obviously rewards/return have to be equal to or greater than cost/risk. But since we honestly do not know the "cost", nor how much money DBG/DPG has or makes, nor how much their "profit" is, we can absolutely not say whether something....anything is too costly.
  11. Paincake Elder

Very true.

The way I see it, unless told directly by the company itself (which will never happen obviously), we will never know the real truth. Everyone just assumes.

Well, I can "assume" too. Perhaps I "assume" that DBG/DPG is just lazy and greedy? That perhaps they are making a killing on EQ, specifically the TLP's through subs and in-game store purchases? That perhaps even though they have the ability to put forth "significant work", they simply won't because they don't really need to......because their playerbase assumes they "cannot afford" to do....<insert EQ change>.

Therefore they continue to run with limited GM support across all the servers. They continue to copy/paste new TLP's without being creative. They refuse to progress Everquest to a point where they are brining in totally new players. They continue to <insert common complaint>.

Lots of know-it-alls around. But we are all (assume makes an "" out of "u" and "me"), without real facts. :)
  12. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Zerkers would be so bad that nobody would play them anyways. So it really makes no difference.

Beastlords would be a little OP IMO.
  13. Nolrog Augur

Sure:

Because the dev team is small and spending time working on that would come at the expense of other things that progress the game and keep it healthy. It's not something Prathun and Ngreth skip lunch for two days next week and it's done.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

There are no class specific tomes or spells that would not already be available to the respective classes in classic or kunark.
  15. Paincake Elder

I get that. But again, there is a factor that is to be questioned. WHY is the dev team small? Is there not enough money to support a larger team? Or is there enough, and choices were made to not increase it's size?

See, we do not truly know the revenue factor, nor the decision factor.

I'll give an example..... Ever hear of this game called Terraria? It came out around 2011 I think. Over these past 9 years, they have developed the game for every known system possible (from mobile, to PC and everything in-between). It is an amazing game, and has sold countless copies across all platforms. I couldn't even guess how many honestly. Well, that dev team consists of a very few people. Due to that, they take what seems like forever to update the game. But the game has been an absolute success. So "why" have they not hired more people to help complete the jobs in a quicker manner? They had a spin-off/sequel in development, "Terraria Underworld". Lots of people were vastly excited for it, for obvious reasons...I mean a new Terraria game? Awesome! Years went by after the announcement and trailer, but eventually it was cancelled.

What it appears to me, is it is a small dev team, but loaded with profit. This creates lethargy in motivation. Everyone has plenty of money already, no need to work hard anymore. Or the higher ups are making the calls, essentially for the same reason.

Sure, maybe it is totally true that Everquest doesn't bring in a lot of money. But what if we are wrong, and it IS bringing in "enough" money to make these changes, or any changes the community is requesting (like way more GM presence on the TLP's to combat the afk botters). Then it falls to the leadership, and they are to blame for not fixing/progressing the game.
  16. modsiw Augur

How many people would return to EQ for this who otherwise wouldn’t? How certain of your answer are you? Will it pay for itself and then make enough profit to make the risk worth it?

You don’t need a crystal ball.
  17. Tyreel Augur

Spells and Tomes are locked by Level and Expansion.
    All initial zerkers discs are locked to GoD and at least initial beastlord specific spells are locked to Luclin. Some one would have to go back and manually change each disc/spell to unlock at the right time. You can't just run a script they need some spells/discs for each expansion and spell purchase/drop locations made and tested. The vendors that spawn for beastlords and zerkers in classic home towns do not spawn or carry those spells until the correct expansion unlocks. Some the shared spells might be obtainable via shaman or melee vendors but you may still get a message of 'you do not own the appropriate expansion' when attempting to scribe/learn them. Tradeskills would need updates for research for all the spells that are locked in a different era than current plus weapons/armor if any deficient in bst/bzk gear. 1.0 epics would they even be possible with out velious/luclin plus are they power balanced(is beast/zerker epic too good in kunark). It really comes up just short of having to do a complete 1-60/65 re-balance of both classes just to make sure everything works right. Then getting full testing done practically needing a beta server.
    Skuz and Nolrog like this.
  18. Tyreel Augur

Also just because the switch is flipped doesn't mean some other hidden code that no one knows about can't cause beast and zerkers to be suck at 1 in all melee or spell casting skills.
    Parts of EQ code is 25 years old and most of the documentation from the late 90s and early 2000s is just gone. It is not flip button get zerkers/beasts as they are now 100% whole situation.

Stuff will go wrong and the further down they go on some areas of code the more risk there is to the game just simply imploding. One change over here and all of a sudden bards just do not work anymore. Try to fix bards and now npcs all have instant cast times. Fix that and now spell haste doesn't work for anyone. Fix that and you get the idea...
    Skuz and Nolrog like this.
  19. code-zero Augur

So an OoW start TLP?
  20. Nolrog Augur

Spells and tomes were balanced around the relative player power at the time of Luclin and Gates, and have been tweaked based on power increases since then. When Berserkers come out at Gates, it's not a problem, but when they come out in classic, it can be. So someone has to review every spell, tome, skill cap etc, to ensure that the power at the time of classic is appropriate for the era.