Pulling/Splitting tricks needed for my 3 box

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gio-Cefalu, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Gio-Cefalu Augur

I currently 3 box (Sk, Shm, Mage), and I've been farming for named mobs in Velks. There is a room full of undead kobolds that I'm killing, and I'm having a hard time splitting the mobs. On blue con mobs, I can use Hate's Attraction and FD to split them or Rest the Dead to pacify one and then pull another.

However, there are 5 undying kobolds that I can't split. There's a pack of 3 and then a pack of 2 inside a tent. Even though Rest the Dead says it works on mobs up to 115 (which all 5 of these are conning), I cannot use Rest the Dead on them. They are unaffected. I also cannot use Hate's Attraction on them; it will not fling them in the air to me; it's really just like using Terror or a damaging spell which aggros all 3 in unison. All of them are immune to snare as well.

I have tried using the Virulent Paralysis pushback/root with my shaman or the AE version, but half the time it does not stick, or the mob immediately breaks from it. Sometimes it will actually push back the mobs back as it should, but then my SK immediately gets summoned between the mobs repeatedly, which often results in a wipe.

I have tried the shaman or mage temporary pet for splitting mobs, but it does not work as I would expect. Instead of the temporary pet running up to the pack of mobs, the mobs run straight toward me, and then the temp pet finally appears, but the mobs are all in my face at this point, so I both (or all 3) in my face.

Aside from the advice of bringing an enchanter along, are there any other tools or tricks I'm missing with my group, or is this area very specifically supposed to be something I'm supposed to tank all at once (which will be difficult if the named mob is in there)?
  2. Paradisic_parasite Elder

Fd-splitting?
    Btw, if they're immune to snare they are also immune to root.
  3. Mazame Augur

Root and totem to drop aggro once the non root mob is away from the rooted one.

Snare a mob and run down the other hall way and when you far away Coth your sk back and tag the snared mob that is now solo ..

Pet tank one add / swarm pet tank 2nd add and sk tank 3rd mob ..

Pull with snare and FD with SK once the one mob is away from the snared mob.

Pull with snare and then HA the other mob one he out side the tent and then FD.

just a few ideas,
  4. Kobrah Augur

Just use a disc and tank all 3 …..
  5. Whulfgar Augur

You play a Shadow knight ..

And you cant single pull ?

This is your concern ?
  6. Gio-Cefalu Augur

This is not true. I can root mobs which I cannot snare. FD splitting works so much better when you can snare the mob so one mob stays on your flopped body while the others return back. Otherwise, if the mobs aren't back at their spawn point, they all immediately re-aggro.
  7. Gio-Cefalu Augur

I can do this if they are all just PHs, but if one of them is the named mob, then I cannot tank a named and 2 PHs. In ToV, the named mobs generally drop a nasty 100K/tick DoT or often a group nuke/DoT, so even with disciplines, I can't handle that much damage at once.
  8. strongbus Augur

how is that a problem. I fd split all the time on my bst(who don't get snare). keep just keep backing up and fding and letting them path back enough so that you can tag one with the mage's pet while the sk stays fd to not agro the other 2. once the other 2 reset and lose agro stand sk up and dps.
  9. Gio-Cefalu Augur

I appreciate the thought, but as I mentioned above, you cannot snare these mobs.
  10. Lubianx Augur

Is the reason Hates Attraction isn't working due to the the mobs being in the tent?

If so pull then out and FD, then when they are roaming back after agro is lost, use Hates Attraction.

If that doesn't work pull them far enough away so the mage can CoTH you and lose agro. Just ensure that you are far enough away so it works. When they are roaming back try hates attraction again or sometimes they may roam back at different intervals making pulling easier.
  11. Gio-Cefalu Augur

Generally the problem I have is that the mobs are so closely packed together that I cannot get distance between them. They all wander back as nearly the exact same time. In an open field with no adds, this might work well, but it's harder to do in a tight space with other mobs. I will try this method a few times when the servers are back up tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
  12. strongbus Augur

if the don't summon use a dot on one of the mobs. it stick around longer then the rest.
    Gio-Cefalu likes this.
  13. Gio-Cefalu Augur

No, for some reason on some mobs, Hate's Attraction does not fling them in the air and towards me. It will aggro them just like a terror or nuke does. They all just come running together. It's not the tent blocking them.
  14. Mazame Augur

As an bst that fd pulls there is ways to do it.

Yes if you stand up to fast they all re aggro but they all walk away at different times. you can use this to stand and flop more than once to get them split. you can then have a pet hold one up while the other walk back and then stand when they drop off aggro.

pulling in the old days took skill and this room is much like that it take skill to split but it is do able.
  15. GoneFission Augur

Like Strongbus said, multiple FDs will eventually break the group up to where one can be tagged. It takes a lot of patience, though. Unless they’re tethered together like some of the mobs in TBM were. Those I split with root and left them all on aggro.
  16. Raccoo Augur

Send pet in to tank two with companion aegis and fortify. Pull third mob away and DE while pet dies.
  17. GoneFission Augur

If you want to do that, you can either feign pet or dismiss it to clear the first two quicker.
  18. Gio-Cefalu Augur

Thanks for the tips. I will try the old school "FD and wait...rinse and repeat" to see if I can split them. I may have to move my camp a bit so I have more room.

I'll also try sacrificing my pet, but poor Jobaner!
  19. Gio-Cefalu Augur

That's a really good idea. I'm now curious if the SK can pocket a second pet. I've never needed to use this except on my BL. If I can pocket with SK, then I can buff and equip my main pet, pocket it, and then pull out a crap pet to sacrifice for the pull.
  20. svann Augur

You can also use the ice pillars to your advantage. If one can come straight to you and the other runs into the pillar and then has to go around it then they get separated.