I'll be on Mangler. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trizek, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Trizek Augur

I enjoy EQ in its early days. But I am personally not an EQ player anymore. I tend to play a new TLP up until either Kunark or Velious (pending what Guild I land in) then I quit till the next TLP. I get my yearly EQ fix, and that is enough.

Sure the Exp announcement sucks on Mangler, but the whole starting at Luclin just throws me off on Selos.

Are there any other like minded people with me, or others with another preference who will be playing Mangler?
    Brunlin likes this.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

You are the reason they make so many TLP's... so yeah, there are a lot of people like you who just grind out classic to velious.
  3. Sethiroth Augur

Here’s a tip: make a good solo class.
    Protagonist likes this.
  4. Iyvy Augur

If they bump up the exp.

I like most Agnarrites did not play Coirnav because of the exp.

Worse exp? F off.
    Brunlin likes this.
  5. ch0rny Elder

I’ll be on Mangler and wish they were leaving it as announced. Tho I don’t see that happening now.
  6. Sojourne Lorekeeper

I am looking hard at coming back to EQ, but have zero interest in Selo, so depending on whether they fix Mangler or not will dictate whether I am in. We'll see if there is an announcement soon I suppose.
  7. Fhiele Augur

I'm hopeful they'll lessen the XP penalty, but I'll play there either way, at least for a while. What else to do with kronos?
  8. Hirbow Augur

Have fun on your Selo's server sweetie :)
  9. Ishbu Augur

I'm leaning towards rolling on Mangler but concerned as is it wont support a healthy population even through Luclin.

Trying to recreate classic launch xp and death penalties only makes sense if old mechanics such as corpse runs and other QoL changes are reverted. Since that wont happen, the decreased xp and increased penalties should go.
    Also what an awful server name. Literally any fun mini boss from any classic dungeon would be better.
  10. pimenttoncheese Elder

11. Jadefox Augur

12. Higgs Boson New Member

All in for Mangler (hopefully they will bring the exp on par with Coirnav/Phinny at the very least..) I'm not particularly worried about the vocal minority screaming it's dead before it's born. DBG don't know their game well but I believe they do know their numbers.

BTW have any EU guilds announced the intention to start in Mangler?
  13. snailish Augur

If you read your numbers and define Selos as Ultracasual (large factor in all the forum angst of late) I question your analysis of your own numbers. "Your" in this case being Daybreak.

They should know the # of unique accounts that sub and quit before era ____.
    They should know which of those accounts have a pattern of doing this on every progression right when ____ era starts.
    They should know who they have lost of existing progression and should be luring back (i.e., 6 month unlockers from Ragefire/Lockjaw that aren't playing somewhere newer).
    They should think it is possible to lure some P99 and not playing slow-pace people back, but not that many since $ factor in.
    They should know how many of their accounts login for less than 8 hours a week.

and so on.

Selos is a nice data match for the players that want to go fast. This works great for raiders that have found nearly all progression raiding trivial until very late in the timeline... so Selos presents challenge potential without the waiting tedium. It also works for the players that spend most of their time behind in content/level yet play on progression vs. a live server. There is the slight carrot of "you don't have to start in Classic" which is both a sell and not-sell [fine to do that. Helps people decide].

Mangler isn't doing anything well at the moment. It's not a true challenge/pure thing (content is too easy, not enough stuff is era set perfect, it has AoC, unlocks are not accurate to release, etc.) which is probably good [that it isn't perfectly classic] because I think that is one of the smallest niche markets of all EQ because you have P99...

But it also isn't the limited playtime take your time destination because of low XP, death penalty and medium unlock lengths. That to me is the compromise able to catch enough niche players that Selos fully misses.
  14. Time Burn Augur

15. Higgs Boson New Member

I meant numbers as in revenue from TLP(s). Not strictly related to player population (they are ofc related). My point is that they have the data to know that the creation of new servers will be profitable (or they would have announced 1, not 2 new servers). They have been launching new TLPs for how many years? Of course one day the bubble will burst and Pantheon will release and yadda yadda. But as of today this is still a valid business model for them.

My point is about these people are here to make money from their product/service, not necessarily to keep a bunch of townsfolk swinging pitchforks in the air happy.
    snailish likes this.
  16. rippah30 Lorekeeper

You there!

I remember your good self from <Good Tidings> on Agnarr, was sad to see you leave :)

If you're looking for a good home on Mangler, you should check out All Out War in the Guild Recruitment threads. =)
  17. Hateseeker Augur

If I come back, Selos is THE opportunity. Starts in Luclin to break the vicious cycle of starting in Classic and quitting before Luclin, and fast XP to keep people engaged and prevent being far behind from keeping people from coming back to the server if they did happen to quit for a while. Also, fast unlocks are a great opportunity to tour later EQ expansions before Pantheon comes out in somewhere between 2020-2021.

For those of you who think Pantheon is vaporware, if you're right, then we have no hope for a true new game, because Daybreak certainly doesn't seem poised to provide one.
  18. Valanie Lorekeeper

With higher xp, I will definitely be on mangler.
    Brunlin and Higgs Boson like this.
  19. Ceffener Augur

Lots of good games out there.
  20. Hateseeker Augur

Indeed there are, certainly in single player or other multiplayer genres, but which of them do you think are true EQ successors?