Everything is overtuned

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Regazozo, Dec 12, 2018.

1. took2summit11 Augur

This is where I end the conversation and say let’s all try to enjoy the new easier content that is coming. This is now going down another path as I strongly believe a mage pet tank is a great alternative, but should never be a primary solution for current content progression. I’ll stop posting here as my opinion varies dramatically from what appears the general population is looking for, any random 6 hodge-podge classes (including mercs) thrown together should be able to get through progression.
  2. NeverPayForLag Augur

I had since CotH this sympathetic one on every caster (Sigil of the Dark Soul). While every weapons as some Heal-Target ability and the casters used every spell with "Heal-Target". So I could play relaxed the game without being fast empty with mana because of the burn cycles. This was not possible anymore with the RoS Missions and one of the last EoK Missions had the same problem after they retuned them 6 months after lauch - sadly. Now with the new setup the group has more firepower but I have regularly the need to med up because mana/endurance is empty.

Nice idea - if that is working this would be a nice solution. But I like more the idea of the normal/hard version. It is possible to give different items for hard/normal. This is not new, this has been around for many many years and this was a perfect solution. Even later you could use the hard versions to power up some alts (still doing that e.g. in older raid missions). The hardcore people got better loot, the groupers/casuals got also an incentive to play the mission and had a chance to make the standard progression triangle (mercenary, partisan, mission).

All revolves around being able to climb the next milestone. If everybody has the chance to climb another milestone - regardsless which one - then everybody has fun in the game - except people who envy others and don't want other people having success.
  3. WorriedinNorrath Elder

One of the reasons I don't beta anymore is after seeing pages and pages of well thought out feedback get completely ignored by developers. Its obvious they refused to change their "vison" for an expansion even if 100% of beta testers were telling them it was the wrong decision.

I can only speculate that there is ego involved because no person in their right mind would ignore obvious flaws and release an expansion in the condition they were in. And this was back before Daybreak took over from SoE, I can imagine how bad it is now.

Enjoy your hats folks.
    Pirlo likes this.
  4. Belexes ForumQuester

Do you quote like this because you can't read or you don't want to look foolish because my posts don't back up what you are spewing?

Show me where I said it was easy.

Reading is fundamental, you should try it, but get a tutor first. Maybe what I am posting is overtuned for your intel? :p

Stick to the sword...your pen is much weaker than it.
  5. Shadows Journeyman

I'd always liked the idea of having the same missions offered at different levels of difficulty as a means to handle the problems outlined in this thread. Obviously, for progression purposes, people would do the softer versions, but the achievement system would definitely draw people into the tougher ones, especially if they come with added rewards.

The only drawback I can think of with using the achievement system is that it would probably only be a one-time reward... unless something obtainable/appealing could be added to the mission itself that is unique to its level of difficulty (not sure how much dev resources it would take to do this kind of thing).
  6. Tucoh Augur

Thanks. Wasn't sure if there was an aug I didn't know about. TBL released new weapon augs, one of which is:
    https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=129945

Which is the same as the sigil of the dark soul, but has 6k healing! That's a pretty big deal.

It requires that you do all the challenger achievements in TBL though, which is going to be really tough to accomplish.
  7. Belexes ForumQuester

You'll do it, I have faith. After all, we critiqued your setup to perfection bud. :D
    Pirlo and Tucoh like this.
  8. segap Augur

The problem really isn't what is needed to do the progression, it's what the progression is needed for. People have very few options to play in this expansion if they cannot find the right groups to do progression. There is no real alternative because of locked zones. If people had access to a couple more zones and could work on simpler tasks or just ignore progression when they only had "alternative" groups available, I think there would be less concern.

The problem isn't having challenging tasks/missions that not everyone can do. It's requiring everyone do them. There will always be some that complain if they can't halfa** their way through everything, but the balance of content vs. discontent would be much healthier if the roadblocks were not there.
  9. Cannikin Augur

What a terrible, terrible analogy.

Anyone who knows anything at all about mountaineering knows that virtually all big mountains have many different routes to the summit, often one described as a "walk up", and others being much more dangerous and requiring much more skill. And while the vast majority of people take the "easy" route to the summit, the "pro" climbers do much harder routes, or otherwise intentionally make things more difficult for themselves (climb in winter, climb with no bottled oxygen, etc.). And in doing so they regularly garner world recognition for their achievements, while the thousands of people who trudge up the easy route are unknown.

Exactly the opposite conclusion you were trying to make with that analogy.
    Caell, Stiku, FawnTemplar and 4 others like this.
  10. took2summit11 Augur

Actually, I’ve rock climbed for a very long time. Anyone who actually climbs and doesn’t just watch from the sidelines knows that if there as an alternative route up a mountain, it isn’t nearly as pure and wouldn’t receive nearly as much attention, if any at all. A movie just came out recently called “The Dawn Wall”, this movie is popular because an ENTIRE face of El Capitan was unclimbed. If there was an easier route up the dawn wall, but the guys just did a harder version, it would be cool and they would be congratulated within the climbing community, but it wouldn’t have made it to the big screens.

I guess I shouldn’t have used an analogy for an obscure sport that I am very much a part of that most people (you) wouldn’t understand. At any rate, this is getting way off topic now. I have already said let’s put it to rest. The people have revolted, the devs have responded, easier content is coming.
  11. Graves Elder

I quote like that because no one wants to reread your wall of text trying to justify how you dying to the third trash mob means it is just fine.

If you hadn't been so arrogant as to threaten to insult people or had the humility to change your opinion when reality hit you in the face you wouldn't look such a fool now.
  12. NeverPayForLag Augur

Nope. It is purely psychologic and economic.
    Sell a product with the option that you can modify it.
    Make a race out of that and polarize a part of the player base.
    Let them bang their heads.
    Result: Free of charge envolvement and marketing.
    Everybody gets a bit success and the feeling they have done something to the game or even had some influence. Most people don't even get that this is the best way to make people buy a product which is

a) not ready
    b) the company does not need another beta tester group
    c) they have an income stream to estimate the portion of hardcore addicted people
    d) they have more time to bring a product to market
    e) regardless how many bugs may be there - they have their main income portion and can use the time to correct the game after that for the "not-so-addicted"

After that the product is in a real beta state - which is standard in our software world with the poor standards. And if the goal is not quality but maximum profit (like I assume since SoE sold their section) this is the most likely result.

I think that this is done all by purpose because I see that way at many software companies - esp. from the USA.

Wow, I am not sure if I should kiss or kill you. That would make the group setup much more relaxed. Even a raid can support their main tank with that extraordinary... That is the item to go for my group :). The only disadvantage is that it is 2HS, not 1HS :(
    And the best of all - I expect that if the next 2 expacs are out (if the game does not die) then I could get them..... :rolleyes::eek: :confused: no.. if I think about which "challenger achievements" I usually get. I think about 4-5 expansions ago there was a slight chance that.... :oops:
  13. Tucoh Augur

re: Hard modes, one thing that folks should keep in mind is that tuning really tough but possible raids (especially those that are only numerically feasible when a guild gears up in content they can do) is actually really tough and requires a pretty involved amount of effort on designer / QA's part.

Sadly, the budget just isn't there for DBG to create a mythic style raiding/grouping system for EQ. The dev team, as reduced as it is, should be happy just getting non-broken raids that act as more than just speed-bump to current top-tier teams.
    FawnTemplar, Pirlo and took2summit11 like this.
  14. Graves Elder

So when Alex Honnold free soled El Cap that was just another climb, nothing of note.

Right you are.

And I guess those climbing the north face of the Eiger just aren't as pure as those that go up the easy way.
    FawnTemplar likes this.
  15. Belexes ForumQuester

You said that I stated it was easy. Prove it or shut it.

You look the fool, cause you can't read or you can't understand what you are reading.

Look, I know I have faults and one of them is to not let stupid crap get posted without responding. I tend to fight fire with fire.

I sure hooked your didn't I? :)

Curious if you have TBL yet and have gone in it. You probably have, but just wanted to check.
  16. took2summit11 Augur

Haha you don’t want to have this conversation with me, trust me. Alex will be the first to tell you he is one of the weaker professional climbers out there. The route he did up el cap is literally the easiest one there is (anyone in decent athletic shape could do it). Everyone from the outside looking in thinks he is Superman, anyone in the climbing community just thinks he is crazy. I don’t know why you guys are expanding on some analogy I made. The comment wasn’t made so we can talk about rock climbing.
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

That is not likely to be part of the first tuning pass.
    tyrantula and lancelove like this.
  18. Vdidar Augur

Now we start the cycle of way to low and way to high. I remember this from RoS.
  19. Transporter Lorekeeper

Pretty sure they ninja just took a lvl range and ramped up mobs a bit. I noticed at least a week before release mobs were doing more dmg on my raid geared tank. The random ae that even a merc can't keep pace with has killed a few group members It's like shielding is being completely mitigated. I did notice a ton of player corpses of people I know haha. I think they're just trying to put so many anti-swarm and box mechanics in they're making some of the things more of a chore to the power players.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Yimin like this.
  20. Cannikin Augur

Ah, so what you really want is for them to bulldoze the "easy" route to make it impossible for the majority of people to get anywhere as a way of gatekeeping the "purity" of the honor of being the only one to actually get to the top.

They tried that in EQ with GoD, where no one at all was able to complete the expansion before OoW raised the level cap. Guess what people did in response: they quit the game. EQ took a major hit to the playerbase from the highs of PoP, and it never recovered.

It's gonna be real lonely at the top when there's no one left to congratulate you, especially whe the mountain itself crumbles around you. Expansions where the majority of people go nowhere is a path leading to DBG announcing the shutdown of EQ.
    Shanarias, Stiku, FawnTemplar and 5 others like this.