Foraging

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by FawnTemplar, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Totonga New Member

i was told forageing is caped at 252 anyway so actually (according to that statement) once you hit 252 skill you're maxed out and even the ma2chete wont get you over that cap.

If its true, all the complaints are...well...useless =)
  2. Zaph Augur

Its about time Foraging got worked on, why cannot forage work like tracking, you look for a item from a list, and after you find a spot, you get a "chance" to obtain it
    Dre. likes this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

First, foraging seems like the last gameplay mechanic that should be changed.

Second, if I'm tracking a named mob, theoretically my tracker can smell it, detect its tracks, hear it etc. If I'm trying to forage a special rock, how is my forager going to detect its presence besides rummaging around in the dirt around them?
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Fixed.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Dev1: "I have a great idea for engaging gameplay. Let's make players stand around while they wait for an opportunity to push a button every 2 minutes."

Dev2: "What does the button do?"

Dev1: "I dunno. Nothing, most of the time. But maybe it'll give you something useless. Or something very low value like food or drink. If it was something people actually wanted, it would have to be pretty rare."

Dev2: "I don't really see the appeal, but we'd sure be jerks if we made it required for certain quests"

Dev1: "That's the idea. We need to train them to be good little skinner box rats"

Dev2: "We should make it so they can't do it while they are fighting, that might be too exciting!"

Dev1: "LOL!"
    snailish and Gundolin like this.
  6. GoldenFrog Augur

Why argue about the core design of the game as if it's some deep, dark secret.

EQ Designers Day 1: "How do we design a game that's one of the biggest Time Sink games ever, that hides the fact as well as possible."

- Camping 10% spawn named for 10% chance loot
    - Running across Karanas-sized zones
    - Exp grinding (back in the day)
    - Sitting in one spot for 10 minutes waiting for Nexus spires to fire

It's the bloody game! You've played it for years. So either move on, accept it, or keep complaining about the sky being blue.
  7. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

We should change forage so you have to actually look for food on the ground, as a ground spawn. Like this:

[IMG]

Call me when you find the leaf :p

It's true that Forage is just a button. In a way I appreciate these things about EQ, sort of like the old Sense Heading. It's reminiscent of older games where you had to "look around", "cross the bridge" in a DOS prompt. In other ways, it's just the reality of video games. Sort of like how something as simple as the Ancient Cyclops spawn became surrounded in superstition. Randomize a few variables, and players imagine all kinds of stuff behind it.

Really everything about EQ is sitting at a keyboard, pushing a button. None of it is real, not forage, not your items, not the NPCs, not even your character... but it'd be silly to think we're not getting something out of it. The same could be said about sitting, staring at pages in a book. It's definitely an experience, pushing the buttons. :p
  8. Dre. Altoholic

Static ground spawn > foraging any day.

They can screw right off with those randomized groundspawns though. That's on par with foraging as a "waste the players' time" mechanic.
  9. Mintalie Augur

Necroing this thread rather than starting a new one...

What's the best thing to forage these days, and where? Best meaning items that are worth selling, I presume all for tradeskills.
  10. Grove Augur

11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I don't think spending time foraging is useful if the intent is to sell the TS items. The ones worth any amount of plat are rare forages. You'd be better off doing regular hunting/killing for plat and items.

Of course, if the foraged items are in a zone you'll be hunting in anyway, well, two birds and a stone and all that ;)
    snailish likes this.
  12. Mintalie Augur

Coarse Salt sells for more than Planar Energy Shards and Relic Fragments...?
  13. Aurastrider Augur

Basically anything that can be foraged for artisan prize progression will probably sell fairly well. As previously mentioned though foraging is more of a passive way of making money and should not be a primary reason to achieve riches. You will make way more just mass killing in some mid level zone than you ever will trying to get a rare forage item.
    snailish and Tatanka like this.
  14. svann Augur

Double forage is still way superior.
    CatsPaws and Tatanka like this.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This thread was a complaint about forge skill levels, nothing to do with the best things to forage.

I suggest next time you start a new thread if your subject is different.
  16. Dark_Pheonix Journeyman

I vote that as long as my ranger has double forage and bard does not. It's ok. Now if they get double, I want triple or bard speed song. I can pluck my bow like a harp and sing. hehehe
    Tatanka likes this.
  17. GamerGramps Journeyman

Here's a novel idea...
    Allow foragers to create a 'do not forage' list like we have with the Advance Looting system. We would still forage the item, but receive a message saying something like "You have foraged XXX but have chosen not to keep it."

I still prefer my Ranger's foraging over my Bard's.
    Skuz and Fanra like this.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Bookworms. Yeah, good idea!
    Skuz likes this.