Is it time to make Skyfire suck a little less?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bumkus, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Brohg Augur

That you describe yourself as "we" and your own desires as "what players want" doesn't make your preferences a design principle.

Please define really playing. Merc/Part/Hunter (plus some plethora of shards farmed, besides re-Huntering those mobs with relevant drops) feels like a pretty complete playing of a zone.
  2. Warpeace Augur

Be smarter and avoid them when possible? Max your AT? Make a Bard friend to cure your hangover?

So many things can be done to make things easier but nah...
  3. segap Augur

The bard song is useless for those that have low AT to begin with. Raising AT is also far from entertaining. I'd rank it even less fun than making metal bits 100,000 times as a subcombine doing tradeskills. This is an example of the difference between annoying mechanic and challenging mechanic in combination with what makes for fun game play and what does not.

Putting the drunk effect in as a mechanic really was as boneheaded a decision as could have been made. It's an effect that makes the game unplayable for 30 minutes. Not just that, but you can't even camp and come back a day later as it does not count down when not logged in. Your only real option is to take a death. I'd rather just be death touched and avoid the misery of vertigo.

Luckily it's just a small part of the zone and can be avoided when not doing progression and hunter. Sadly, that's one of the better populated parts of the zone and would actually have likely been a popular camp spot for people if not for the drunkeness.
    Killersong likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Staying in the zone and camping named for drops and such not leaving it behind once you are done with what you have to get done.

P.S. how many hours a week are you currently playing in Skyfire?
  5. Brohg Augur

Did you stop reading at the "?" and miss the part where I DID that?

6. Brohg Augur

Step 1 : find your attack key or you're going to have a bad time in Freeport newbie garden!

Step 2 : develop a couple more hps or a bit of armor so you can take a light hit back : now you can beat orcs!

Step 3-## : figure out some other things, like pulling or CC or healing or curing a snake's poison : now you can beat other stuff! Your party better have snare to deal with runners, your party better have stun to deal with CHealers...

Step Something : oop, these Velious Drakes are AEing some crud, does your character have fire & cold resists? gotta develop those to engage THAT content effectively.

Little later : oh man, this other content is a pain until you get the Dreadspire key - better work on that to make it more fun!

Sometime after that : corruption effects! can you resist or cure that?

Now - you draw the line at Alcohol Tolerance? A BRIDGE TOO FAR. THE GAME CAN"T REQUIRE THIS OF ME!

lulz
  7. Fohpo Augur

That doesn't address the fact that it simply isn't fun, nor challenging, and is just a tedious annoyance. Which is pretty much what everyone in here has said, it is flat out a stupid mechanic. Why anyone would ever defend it is beyond me. I get it, they tried something new and personally I think it was a colossal failure. I'm not expecting them to remove it or to appease me, I'm stating an opinion that I think it's utterly stupid and I'd love to talk to the person who thought that it would somehow promote engaging gameplay.
  8. Fohpo Augur

Wasn't sure if this was targeted at me, but I don't remember trying to present my opinions as the belief of the masses. If I did, it was unintentional - I'm relatively sure I've always defended the fact that people are entitled to their opinions and that the boards should be used for discourse/discussion. I know I've said I disagree with someones opinion but I try to avoid saying someone else's opinion is "wrong."
  9. Spellfire Augur

My toons have max AT and they still get drunk:mad:.

I agree with the poster above; this mechanic is annoying and unfun.
    Caell and Yinla like this.
  10. Redemption Lorekeeper

as a paladin i generally love undead mobs but the drunk effect does ruin these. since the effects stack it means you cant kill them fast enough since you just more drunk with each mob. and my at is maxxed. i can solo camp a few at a time but waiting to sober up between kills is a waste and time is better spent in hs or st. i dont care if they change it but without some kind of incentive i wont bother with the area once hunter is done.
    fransisco likes this.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

There are incentives in the zone. You wouldn't be there if there was not.
    For fixing the alcohol - max your skill (easy, drink) - beyond that, bring a group
  12. Drogba Augur

It's one zone, and no massive hurdle at that. Mixing it up and a spanner in the works can be fun too.

Why is it that so many people complain about trivial things on these forums all the time. Things that are not rocket science to deal with, it's a single zone you're talking about here.

When I encounter a hurdle, I enjoy trying to deal with it. Sometimes i think certain people want the game to play itself for them.

Man up, you're polluting the air.

(i only read the first post of this presumably silly thread)
  13. Thraine Augur

Yes Skyfire sucks. No they will never change it.

imo its like the new caverns of endless sorrow .. just a very unpleasant zone with junky drops and weak exp gains. After progression/hunter/collections there is no reason to ever go back ... sadly i still need a few hunter kills there cause, the truth is, i would rather just log and watch rick and morty than go to skyfire hahah
    Yinla likes this.
  14. enclee Augur

People are more likely to complain about a zone, if it's only 1 out of 2 for a certain or 1 out of 7 for a whole expansion. It isn't like it's one of 20 zones or there's a new expansion every 6 months.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Killersong New Member

Segap, you have pull the words out of my mouth, was thinking exactly same thing you have said.

Unfortunately for me, I had attempted this quest 5times and still need to retry to finish it.

1st attempt was like “WTF… I am not going thru with this stupid ”

2nd try later, someone was doing it so had to delay the progress.

3rd and 4th try, my fault.

5th try, a bug, got wiped when spawned the Dax and Draccus. It won’t let me re-spawn them at the altar again. Saying something about needing some preparation, etc. when clicking the stake.

I need to redo this again later.

One point I need to make it here is that this could be some liability issue for the DBG, where this could cause problem with people that are sensitive to the motion sickness, like epilepsy.

This isn’t something that the player has chosen to participate; this is actually forced upon them rather than volunteered. It’s not like you decide to chuck down the booze and get drunk and have fun at it.

Also the player has to endure thru the progress event rather than move away from the screen and not have to worry about the wobbly, screwed, zig-zag screen. This could test someone’s limit.

killersong
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Mr. Meeseeks, complete my Hunter of Skyfire!?
    Thraine likes this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yes I did miss it where did you state the number of hours a week you are currently playing in Skyfire? Was it another post I didn't see? You never stated the number of hours per week you are "currently" playing in Skyfire. You simply listed some things you have done and are no doubt finished with.

And as for my opinions of what should be game design I base them on having run a large casual guild (currently largest by far on Xegony) for 19 years (with only one break of 2 months when I sold my house and moved cities) and seeing on a daily basis where my players tend to play and why type of zones the tend to play in. My guildies range from hard core groupers to more casual players. In addition to that I do talk with other casual/group guild leaders from time to time and just other group players. So yes I talk for "we" I have a pretty good handle on the people I represent directly and a good feel for many of the group players as a whole. But that is my opinion I guess and you are welcome to your own.

For all those who want these "interesting" mechanics there are many more who want a more basic standard Everquest where they can grind out exp, camp mobs with the basic convenience of not having to sit at their computer non stop or be irritated by mechanics they have to deal with wanting to play in T1 zones for whatever reason.

Those that tend to want the "interesting" mechanics finish their hunter tasks do whatever quests they have to and move on. Others don't so the "interesting mechanics" are more irritating to them.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As mentioned its one of the two T1 zones. So for players who like to play in T1 and don't like the mechanic they have ONE other choice.

Daybreak has the data on it they know Skyfire is being under utilized and even OT is not as heavily utilized as it could be.
    Pirlo likes this.
  19. Drogba Augur

They only have 1 other choice if they have some kind of weird allergy to playing in the other tier zones as well.
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

There are places in Skyfire that you can sit and pull to. Mobs don't path to them... Drakes won't nuke you from outer space. Not a huge number of spots, but you CAN kill stuff in Skyfire if you want to and be happy enough with the results.