Is it time to make Skyfire suck a little less?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bumkus, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Bumkus Elder

Aside from the normal pathing issues, the fire rings just piss people off. and the divebomber drakes need to factor height into their aggro radius. They wont aggro if you are 20 feet away on the ground, but if they are 1000 feet in the air, they have so engaging you. You can pull a mob in an open field and have 4 mobs on you in no time. I feel like i need to drag a box around with view pointed straight up in the sky to be lookout for drakes.
    Maedhros and Yinla like this.
  2. Cicelee Augur

To answer the thread title question...

No.
  3. Bumkus Elder

No because you have already suffered through it and want others to do the same? or no because you really enjoy this T1 zone?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. YellowBelly Augur

Terrible zone. I would go as far as to say it’s the worst zone in the game right now. It’s pretty hard to take the prize from sol c lol.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Whoever thought this was a good idea for a T1 zone wants their head examined.

If this is the future of EQ, then RoS will be the last expansion I purchase.
    Niknik and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  6. Cicelee Augur

No because it has mechanics that are different than other zones. It is not the same boring spank and tank as most zones. You actually have to pay attention and have some awareness. It separates players who appreciate some small challenges thrown at them and how to handle them, from players who want the easy way out and just do auto attack.

Do I like all the mechanics in the zone? No, the biggest one being you can run a mile and not see a mob. But do I appreciate a change in the zone makeup that devs gave us to make things more difficult? Yes.

I am actually going to be doing Hunter and collectible achievements next week in Skyfire, second to last zone I have to finish both in. So no I am not fully done with the zone yet.

And FWIW many players are done with the zone. So it can be done by raider and casual alike.

Instead of complaining about the zone, learn and do the things necessary to be successful. Many previous to you have. I will be as well...
  7. Tucoh Augur

I actually like Skyfire, and like the idea of a tough outdoor zone.

I think it would've been cool if they made it:

Overthere/Howling Stones: T1 zone
    Skyfire / Sathir's Tomb: T2 zone
    Veeshan's Peak: T3 zone
  8. Allayna Augur

They would have to fix Z-axis first...
  9. Kolani Augur

I did the Argath shared task last night, and that mission has a lot of the same issues that Skyfire does. Trying to mix up the non-standard ideas with EQ's enging doesn't really work well.
  10. Bumkus Elder

I'm finished with RoS progression and just going back to Skyfire to wrap up a couple hunter kills. I like Tucoh's idea of redefining this as a T2 zone. I would go so far as to call it T2.5, as it is the 2nd hardest zone in expansion due to mechanics like drakes mentioned about, as well as snare DoTs that would kill a lot for group geared pullers, plus the horrible drunk effect from the Vampires, and mobs that seem to path through camp spots along the zone edge for no particular reason. You could argue it is harder than VP depending on your group makeup. I'm fine with any one of the new mechanics that incorporated into Skyfire, but emptying the cubboard was a bad idea for at T1 zone.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

To answer the thread title question. Yes.

No open zone should be so much of a pain that the majority of players avoid it as much as possible. We get so few zones as it is that making one like skyfire is a very bad idea.

And what we all say won't matter. Once daybreak reviews the ongoing usage of the zone they will realize they screwed up big time. The trick will be how they walk it back without making it seem like they screwed up.

Stuff like this is like wasting time on down scaling raids that will never ever ever be run on a down scaled basis.
    Niknik likes this.
  12. Baeltor New Member

I didn't mind Skyfire. It keeps you awake.
  13. Warpeace Augur

Only negative thing i can say about the zone is the drakes pathing when agroed, real PITA to get them to the ground.
  14. Brohg Augur

It's a good thing when zones and mob types play differently. I wouldn't be, like, up in arms protesting? but it would be super sad if Skyfire (ditto OT with knockback/snare/dot/DS/memblur variety)(etc) were just level 110 versions of level 10 Commonlands.
    Mehdisin Mahn likes this.
  15. segap Augur

I'm happy they tried something different. Something to add a bit more need for awareness and flavor. That said, the drakes suck! I can spend 3 minutes trying to find the one targeting me with the red circles. They are a mile in the sky and behind pillars of rocks. Completely out of view and F8 range. Being someone that plays in first person makes it even more annoying trying to swoop around to find the damn things. In the end, they're easy kills. The challenging part is finding them. The first few times that was fun. But spend any time in the zone and it quickly becomes a time wasting annoyance.

Fully agree. Mob density in SF sucks! That made the camp for the VP Wurm medalians a real chore. I was begging for anything to kill while waiting on the respawn. Anything within a reasonable distance was dead with about 50% of the respawn timer down.
  16. Brohg Augur

Hear these folks, devs! need patrolling drakes over the Guardian Wurm, stat!
  17. fransisco Augur

People say they like zones like skyfire that are a challenge, except non of them ever go there.
    No one goes to skyfire except for progression/acheivements. Then they leave quickly.

There is a differene between a challenge and just a POS annoying zone that isn't worth the reward.
    Its a T1 zone with awful experience, subpar loot and the most annoying effects.
    Its a bad combo
    Slippry, Niknik, Zhaunil_AB and 2 others like this.
  18. Critts Augur

Let’s send those Drakes to caverns of endless silence. woe to all who do TDS progression.
    Yinla likes this.
  19. Paradisic_parasite Elder

I go there every now and then to kill golems. Nice zone npnp.
    Brohg likes this.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Skyfire & OT would be fine as they are if they weren't T1 zones, I'm not sure how things are on your server but on mine there are more players in Frontier Mountains than both RoS T1 zones put together.

I think the devs need to look at the number of players in the RoS and EoK zones and see just where the players are and what they are doing and adjust the game accordingly, just like they have with zones in the original EQ for progression servers . Then learn from their findings and not repeat the same mistakes again with future expansions.