Mage DPS - looking to improve

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Brie, Mar 7, 2017.

1. mmats Augur

The reason 20 sec parses came about is because fransisco was contemplating spell lineups intended for a single group mob dying in a couple of spell cycles.

Maybe you can translate Sancus first post for us? Tell us what weave he recommends there.
  2. Sancus Augur

Dude. My first post was written a year before fransisco asked that question.
  3. Piemastaj Augur

Can you honestly read a post and comprehend it? I literally explained his post in my post. There is no guaranteed answer for that duration of time. I even listed variables to further prove why there is no perfect answer. Having a spell that might return you back mana or Twincast your spells is a giant monkey wrench. Yes it has a proc rate, but it does not play out perfectly ever because of RNG. Relying on pets that path randomly up walls and run away from mobs ruins everything. Casting spells with no resist adjustments will destroy the argument about using Garg before 110 Spear because it may not even land on the mob. Garg pet is good, but if you do not maintain the Aura (which it may not be up in the 20 seconds u wanna parse) it has lower DMG out-put. This stuff was posted, and there are dozens more to be brought up.

Like I said, use that DPS app as a guideline. That is all it will ever be good for while we have so many variables in play for our spell sets. Your never going to be looking for a 20 second parse, you want the 4k second parse where things will start to even out and get far more consistent. Day to day experience changes how things play out as well because you get a feel for the people you are playing with and the type of things you are doing.

Is Host being used? Well then it changes everything because Of Many gets popped into the equation. And yes Host should be getting used on cool-down just like every other disc you have. Are Burns up? Is Elemental Flames up? Again, this stuff can be up in that duration when playing properly and will again change what gets cast when and where.

You will be hard pressed to find people who parse more than Sancus and myself, and even harder pressed to find Magicians that consistently do as high of DPS as we do. Until the app gets perfected (which will never happen because EQ is really bad at things) this is as best of an answer you will get.
  4. mmats Augur

You dont actually recommend a specific weave there though, you just give an opinion on the synergy aspect. Later in that same post you write this...

5. Sancus Augur

Okay, that was enough Forum Quest for this week...
    Sheex, Fohpo and Chaosflux like this.
  6. Fintank Augur

I love you Sancus, pls send memes.
    Fohpo and Marquele like this.
  7. Zalamyr Augur

You were using Kizant's tool to determine the "best" rotation for an exactly 20 second fight. As already pointed out a dozen times, there's a bunch of problems with using his tool for a duration that short. It doesn't properly figure Chaotic procs. It doesn't handle RS redirection. The DPS listed will be heavily swayed if "weave A" happens to fire off one extra spell than "weave B", just based on cast times and exactly when the fight is ending.

In reality, you might have a 10 second fight, then a 20, then a 30, then a 15, then an 18, etc, etc, etc. The weave shown as "best" by his tool for exactly 20 seconds, my not be the best for exactly 21 seconds, 17 seconds, or 15, or yada yada. Given you have no way of knowing before the fight *exactly* how long it's going to last, you're better off using a rotation proven to do well over long periods of time, and manually alter it based on what makes sense at the time (IE: switching to a faster casting spell if the mob is going to die too fast for a slower one).

There's no point is using his tool for a fight duration that short and that specific. The results are not meaningful in any way.
    Sancus likes this.
  8. Cicelee Augur

You guys, including myself, have been wrong this entire thread.

The OP asked how to improve magician DPS. There is only one right answer-

Shock of Arconite Steel and Meteor Bolt.
    Fohpo likes this.
  9. mmats Augur

Someone asked about a specific scenario, so I gave a specific answer. I am sorry I didnt write 8 paragraphs beating around the bush and then sum it up with "it depends". That job is filled by other people in this thread.

The lineup I gave does just fine at 20 sec and 400 sec. Does this make you happy?

RS->110 spear->105 spear->chaotic 400s https://goo.gl/TpLngP

110 spear->chaotic->RS->105 spear 400s https://goo.gl/KHeXB8
  10. Zalamyr Augur

Sure. I took those links (I didn't look at what, if any, burn or adps you were using, so they should be the same) and instead went with Chaotic > RS > Spear > Spear like everybody else was saying and got this

https://goo.gl/Ga32KQ

Your lineup is not optimal for any reasonable circumstance.
    Sancus likes this.
  11. kizant Augur

Sancus likes this.
  12. Brohg Augur

13. Evurkvest Augur

Dont feed the troll :) Ty all who are actually trying to help!
  14. Brohg Augur

It's not trolling. People shittalk rains all the time, but they're still great spells if you're not disced up for crit rate
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  15. Mortium Elder

I want this tool for melee classes :(
  16. IblisTheMage Augur

Mmat, you are being rude, and your attacks are ad hominem.

I don’t care if you disagree with everyone, that is fine, but name calling completely disqualifies everything you have to say.

Assigning intentions to people the way you do it is really bad form. It also reflects really bad on you and on what you have to say.

Be civil, for smurfs sake.
  17. Dreadmore Augur

Anyone have a suggestion for an ideal multibind setup? More specifically, not putting Chaotic at the beginning since it'll bug on procs of Syllable of Refreshment. I have been playing with putting Steel at the beginning for chances of Steel Vengeance procs. For some context, I box a magician so I'd rather just mash one or two keys without much thought. I also box with a wizard and enchanter, so I am working on them having their synergies help each other out, though I don't know if I am smart or patient enough to find weaves for that to happen on their biggest nukes every cycle.

Do magicians not have separate spell weaves for sustained DPS vs. burn? Is burning just a matter of activating burn AAs?

Edit, guess I will add more detail. I do have separate sustained and burn weaves:

Sustained: Remoteless, Chaotic, Gathering, Twincast, 110 Spear, 105 Spear, Mod rod
    Burn: Dichotomic, Remoteless, Twincast, Chaotic, 110 Spear, 105 Spear, Insurgent

I don't have synergy maxed out yet, but in anticipation of it and from what I've read here so far, I've made a few changes: Remoteless Chaotic, Chaotic Remoteless, Gathering, Twincast, 110 Spear, 105 Spear, Mod rod. For burns, I take out gathering and replace the mod rod with a firebound orb, and took out dichotomic altogether because it seems to be underpowered for how much mana it takes. But like I said, I don't like it too much because of it bugging out on spell refresh procs from chaotic. I'd also like to use both mod rods and orbs in both burns, but just the way multibinds work, it only triggers one hotkeyed item, and /useitem messes up multibinds sometimes.
  18. Fohpo Augur

For a 17.2 second fight, what is the ideal spell line-up? I'd like to get info from both Sancus and Mmats for science, must compare.
    Sancus likes this.
  19. fransisco Augur

wow umm... sorry if I was the cause of this train wreck :eek:
  20. mmats Augur

Dear sir, my last response was removed for being mean. I apologize and will now rephrase...

The first link is Sancus revised/final lineup, so I am confused as to why you would disagree with your mentor like that. Secondly, your lineup does worse at the 20 sec duration than either of the previously mentioned weaves. That was the context being discussed.

The whole argument is ridiculous for sure, but came about because Sancus felt the need to rail me for simply giving a suggestion for a specific scenario...

Sancus does good work, but can be a bit of a ****.