How many people do you know that boxes now days?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Peltier, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Almost everyone I know boxes and those who don't either will eventually or will wind up going on a long hiatus because they are too stubborn to make boxes so they don't have to sit around waiting for a group or waiting to get something done.

It's 2018 and the population is only going to get smaller with time. The devs are going to continue on the NerfQuest Rollercoaster as they have proven for the last 18 years in this pointless pursuit of class balance so whatever flavor of the month class you make will be nerfed sometimes to the point of not being worth playing until the nerfs are reversed or until another boost is added.

Try to figure out how many main bards and druids there are still actively playing on Live servers. That should give you a prime example of how things work.
  2. Aurastrider Augur

Freespirited
  3. Tachyon Augur

Boxing is like training wheels, yes it makes riding a bike easier to ride but it also removes the challenge. The only reason I still play is because I roll one toon and find a challenging class. It's inconceivable to me why people feel the need to box!
  4. Aurastrider Augur

It's inconceivable to me why anyone cares about what others find enjoyable in this game. Playing one toon for me is boring but to each their own. Besides you can't even do a large chunk of content without a group in regards to requesting tasks/missions and there are several things that are next to impossible without others. If boxing fills this void for some it helps to pay the power bill so you can enjoy EQ your way.
    Caell, Perplexed and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  5. Tachyon Augur

I did it all on Agnarr, Phinny and The Combine finding people to group/raid with on a single toon. Give it a shot. You may be surprised!
  6. Aurastrider Augur

This is apples and oranges. TLP vs Live is basically two different games. I hope you realize this by now and if you don't than you need to play on live and compare the difference.
    Perplexed and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  7. bigpapa Augur

I box 4 and always bring my alts with me , sometime I keep one toon in a group and dps with other 3 outside of the group to help killing mobs faster.

I helped so many players already in ROS doing the progressions..

shm,mage,chanter and druid.

ps: when I was playing only one char, I had to take a break here and there due to being bored to hell, being maxed xp and all tasks done pretty fast .

since I box ,i didn't take any **break ** ( past 8 years or so ).
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. Fohpo Augur

Boxing can be a bit of a pita, but it also has enabled the game (especially on some servers) to really continue on. As the population dwindled, it gave people the ability to actually fill groups. Like pretty much anything else, it always comes with pros and cons but I think in the long run it has arguably done more good. Live would be a nightmare for some people if they couldn't box, because they wouldn't be able to accomplish much with sparse login times/game-time.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Boxing has so many advantages in EQ it's hard to justify not at least two-boxing.

It's a bit of a slippery slope though, one day you're bringing up the shaman you always wanted to check out to throw some slows/dots/buffs/heals around when you can't find a decent group, and soon enough you've got a meticulously tuned 6 box crew that makes joining groups inadvisable.

Personally I can't commit to playing at any length of time and have to interrupt myself enough that playing with other players can be difficult. With my box group I can get up at any point while I play and if I get killed it's no big deal, when I get back I'll just recover and continue.
  10. Fohpo Augur

Certainly does have its advantages, especially when you're working on something silly like HS progression and either want to corpse hop or do something equally cheesy. It also means that you don't have to worry about augs and other things that are clearly intended for one toon (class, archetype) being taken on someone's alt or box in your group (huge personal pet peeve, not the end of the world I know).
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

I tried boxing, but I suck at it. Especially the wrapping part.

[IMG]
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I've avoided boxing for a long time because I suck at managing two things at once. Boxing will not be fun for me, but it is a means to an end. I would definitely never box 3 or more, because that would stress me out too much.
  13. Fohpo Augur

You also don't have to box, while I don't speak for all servers - I can't tell you how many people hop in my group with just 1 toon on FV.
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Normally I don't get to play a lot, but during the times I do, I am good for grouping. Currently I have a bunch of extra playtime, but grouping is impossible during that time. I have to play where I can AFK on a seconds notice with no idea of how long I'll be gone. Like literally, if I'm fighting a mob and I have to AFK then I might die. That is the trade-off I have to make to have this bonus time at the moment. So I'm boxing more because it simplifies that.
  15. Cicelee Augur

For 17 years I was a single account solo player as a magician. After being frustrated with Fintikki named spawn (roaming named) and not being able to use tracking to find it, I gave in and made a bard box.

I have gone from playing one character to playing 1.6 characters at once. My bard is probably at 65% efficiency, and my magician is probably 95% efficient with the five percent loss when I switch over. It is nice to be able to go into a zone and immediately see what named is up. And it is nice to have a character that, if need be, I can single pull one mob out or a group to the mage.

But I definitely do not think I am operating both at full capacity. And I chuckle at people who believe they can when they box. You are always going to have some loss of effectiveness on both toons...
    Aurastrider and fransisco like this.
  16. fransisco Augur

All of this.
    Especally the last part lol. I duo a chanter with my mage, and while I'm good at both, playing either alone I am WAY better.
    Perplexed likes this.
  17. xcitng Augur

i box 2, sometimes take 3
  18. Whulfgar Augur

I box up to 7 actual xp accounts. I have up to 12 gold at most times. I play eq, wether I get grps or don't. I love getting a full grp and using all my alts to enhance in all aspects the full grp.

I have also been to keep all my toons out of grow using all healer mercs and just helping to blow mobs up for other people's lesson burns which can almost double the mob count / xp total.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The only boxers I know for sure are me, myself and I.
  20. NeverPayForLag Augur

Honestly I never met somebody not boxing for years. Some play solo only if they are not instantly finding people. If they working on old stuff they all box.