Hortulanus Cryolex in Overthere

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Move away from the glue factory. It doesn't do you any good at all.
  2. Khat_Nip Meow

Oh grow up. You should know full well that the term exploit did not arise solely to define the things you describe. The scope of the word's use has been in use LONG before information systems were a thing.

Dropping a task, looting the chest, and then repeating that process over and over with no lockout as long as you feel like it is deserving of at least suspensions and that loot withdrawn. I don't care what YOU consider it and because YOU think it's fine makes it appear that YOU have no integrity and can't be trusted, (New Member) /rollseyes

If your bank accidentally credited your account with a large some of money to which you weren't entitled and you checked your balance and for a moment thought, "Oh dang, I'm rich" what would you do? After all, you didn't exploit anything, you were just living life so that money it totes yours, right? Oh no, not even a little and they'll go to extremes to let you know that.
  3. Zulan Lorekeeper

Grow up? We've resorted to personal attacks now that someone has a different opinion than you do? They have no integrity because of a video game bug? I bet you're just a saint and never did a single thing wrong in your life lol (fyi hypocrites can't be trusted either).

Anyways back on topic, suspending people, or banning people would be ridiculous since this has been petitioned back in beta. They chose not to fix it and release it, of course it was going to be used.

Call it a Christmas gift to those who got some group gear (T1 no less). Fix the bug, and move on.
    In 6 months all this gear will be rotting on every named in OT/SF, all of it going to alts. Jesus, it's a video game, and they're all paying customers.
  4. Ratbo Peep Augur

I never made a declarative statement as to "right or wrong - loophole or exploit". I said I was on the fence on that whole thing. I could "see both sides".
    What exactly was the issue with this one that caused a different Dev reaction? And yes, I feel for guys like you trying to get "firsts" on progression. It sucks that the "solution" was simply taking the raid/mission away for a good week at least.
    -R
    Maedhros likes this.
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I am quite sure the release date wasn't a DEV's choice, but some marketing guy's.
    Actual Developers usually know better than to go live with something they know isn't finished.
    It just happens to be that the marketing suits "rule" the process, and i am sure those simply wanted their share of the Xmas shopping spree so pushing the release even farther back than they did was a non-option for marketing.
    (keep in mind that they've already pushed release back for a months or more compared to previous expansions)

As for taking their holidays DESPITE an obviously bugged release:
    I am happy they did!
    As part of the IT industry myself i know how it feels to put in 60-80hrs per week not for one or two weeks but for months just because of someone's folly to publish a "political deadline". Sadly it's hardly those guys being responsible for those timelines in the first place that suffer, but the actual Devs get shouted at.
    I for one wouldn't have called off my vacation, even less so in the US where they only have so little vacation time in the first place just to save the hide of some suit who decided over my back anyways.

I can "live" without this mission for a while, and i am sure everyone else can too.

Thinking outside the box is fine, using some unintended mechanic for one own's benefit at the exclusion of others is not (see EULA).
    You might call it brainwashed, i call it "honest" - even if i had known about an exploit i am not sure if or to what extent i would have used it. At the very least ONE would have known about me getting "chicks for free" - me.
    Once i knew how to dupe things in Diablo i never played it again, because cheating made it trivial and uninteresting.
    Same for other games or mods.
    Looking for exploits/hacks is a nice occupation in itself, but actually using them is a different matter.
    (white/black hat or whatever comes to mind in this context...)
    As you say, it's a game - and i want to keep it that way for myself, so this is one place where i do NOT look for exploits/hacks but take it "as is".

I do not know what the exploit was or how it affected people.
    But i am happy they've taken it out for now, even though that means less group currency for my augments.
    It doesn't matter (to me at least) that it was Daybreak's responsibility to push it live in a bugged state.
    The only way to sanction this is with our money, and that would - again - hit the "wrong" people first i'm afraid.
    Sadly, as you say, we - and i do not exclude myself from this either - are sheep to some extent.
    And just like the sheep that "votes" in elections, we conveniently forget or downplay our bad experiences when the time for voting/re-subscription/expansion-buying comes again.
    Because EQ PLAYS on the "sheep" in us, that is a social being first and cares about economics only way down there in that prio-list.
    Unless whole guilds move on to somewhere else, we're sheep or lemmings or whatever - because we prefer to stick with our friends, even knowing we're the titanic's brass band.
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Drogba does have a point though, when he asks "where exactly do you draw the line" - and why?

You can apply seemingly objective figures to justify your decision, but it'd still be arbitrary - the only people that know if they did exploit with a "seeing eye" are the exploiters themselves.
    No matter where you personally draw it or where Daybreak would draw it, it'd either be hitting "innocent follow-alongs" too or too many "guilty bad people" would get off the hook unscathed.

A ban or suspension over this is questionable imo - even though i agree with the "outrage" behind that demand.
    At worst, removal of all gains from this (spells, VT key pieces etc) should be expected.
    Again: at worst and imo.
  7. Vanrau Augur

Releasing the expansion near the end of the year has been standard practice for a while now while letting the devs off for vacation right before Christmas. We've bitched about it almost every expansion release since then because of unfinished/buggy content.

However, there is no way their Russian overlords would allow pushing the expansion release after the new year when they can just push it out the door unfinished and claim even more profit for 2017.
  8. segap Augur

With giving access to beta and all prior expansions when you buy the expansion, they can recognize the revenue immediately. Also, as a privately owned company, they really have no need to worry about padding the fiscal quarter/year. That's the realm of public companies. All they should need to do is give sound revenue projections to the private investors. Investors that hopefully trust their management team.

Economics aside, it does suck to go in to the holidays with a large project looming over you. They either need to move their schedule up to August/September releases or pad it out to late January/February. Releasing in the Thanksgiving to New Year's time frame puts too much pressure on the dev team and leaves the customers with staff on vacation right after release that's not available to respond to the inevitable issues. From an outside point of view, their internal project management is lacking direction or focus.
  9. Khat_Nip Meow

Oh waaaah! That wasn't an ad hominem as I was referring to their trying to post justification that had nothing to do with anything to deflect from what was actually going on.
    A Christmas gift? Enter mission and a minute later divvy out spells, VP key pieces, and gear and immediately do it over and over again? Is that the integrity of the people you were referring to?
  10. Lily Augur

11. smash Augur

Imo people who did this should at least be rolled back to prior to ros got out. And also a 2 months suspension.
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Actually the Items were removed from people. The bug was with HA's, they were intended to drop in the group game, but the way they dropped in missions was easily exploited. Hence the nerf and the items being removed from people. They didn't remove all of them, but those who farmed a whole bunch deff had them removed. I would be alright with the same happening here, remove the ill gotten items but suspending/banning will probably never happen.
  13. Millianna Augur

Ah, h ll no, to the no no no..
  14. kizant Augur

I love the recommendations when nobody even knows what the actual exploit was. The one people keep talking about is there in the other two missions too but they're still in game.
    Thrillho and Maedhros like this.
  15. Act of Valor The Newest Member

The devs need to go back in time and suspend everyone that exploited Tumpy Tonics.
    Hiladdar, Sancus, gotwar and 3 others like this.
  16. Lily Augur

I think they should shut down the game til they figure it all out.
  17. Zehn Lorekeeper

You do realize that the "exploit" you are talking about in OT can be done RIGHT NOW .... in SF, and the same items can be collected. It may take longer than a few minutes, but never the less as the do-gooders have proclaimed if the spirit of the lock out is to slow down progression is this not repeating the same exploit? Or do we just pick out certain situations to prove points now? Shouldn't all the loot from SF mission be taken back as well?
    Maedhros likes this.
  18. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I doubt many people are doing this on the SF and Gorowyn missions, my reference to the Rare drops is about the same thing that was happening with OT from the sound of it. Spend 2 mins killing 1 or 2 mobs and get crazy amounts of drops.
  19. Zehn Lorekeeper

So when does it become an exploit? When it can be repeated 5 or more times and hour? So the real complaint isn't the exploit, or the fact that the mechanic still exists, its about loot?

Ya'll got the dummy stumped here. Guess it ok to steal from a store every now and then, but if you do it all the time then it's a problem.
    Thrillho and Maedhros like this.
  20. smash Augur

Do it once, do it multiple times, both cases are exploiting things.

Both cases should be penalized.

In rl if you steal from a shop, you would get a criminal record.

But they not said what the exploit is, so it is still guesswork what the exploit is.