Approximately means...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TenkenTurtle, Sep 20, 2017.

1. TenkenTurtle Elder

EQ players think approximately 6 hours means 6 hours is the latest.. But in reality approximately 6 hours is between 5 Hours and 15 minutes and 6 hours and 45 minutes.
    Claan likes this.
  2. Claan Elder

I agree, that as an EQ player, I think it means 6 hours at the latest.
    However, from previous experience, I know this means very little as to when the servers will actually be available:(
  3. TenkenTurtle Elder

Aye, I just wish they would update their ETA within the reality approximate time.
  4. Scoresby New Member

I think as soon as they know how long the extended downtime will be they will let us know. They've already prepared us for extended downtime.

And looking over patch notes, I can forgive the extended downtime as some really needed fixes are being implemented. They're doing a lot this patch.
  5. Troutfest Augur

Figured there were going to be issues when the patcher had no files to download yet and there was 15 mins to go to scheduled start.
  6. Fian Augur

It is still poor communication. If they think it will take them 6 hours, they should say 7. If the time does exceed their estimate, then they should be putting out an immediate update, preferably before they miss the original deadline. This is Business/Communication 101, but sadly Daybreak fails at it. I guess they just view us as a bunch of kids and not customers.
    TenkenTurtle likes this.
  7. Funk Augur

Unfortunately when you try to over consolidate and over simplify things for our best interests because for some reason they think AA's were too complicated for us to understand, you get patches that are longer than expected due to fumbling around with code that could have been left alone.

Not to mention tanks now taking over 3k+ more damage every hit on trash mobs....it's been tested and tanks aren't happy at all. I guess major nerfs take time to implement.
  8. Fian Augur

9. Antagonist New Member

10. Claan Elder

It would be cool if they posted a video or storyboard sometime showing exactly what happens on patch days. I have no clue as to what they are doing there. Because of that, I picture updating the live servers with the newest game software to be as simple as updating my Vista Laptop with the same(patcher doesn't work with Vista). I've already updated my laptop with the new files shown in downloadinfo.txt from one of my other desktops. So why does it take DBG so long?
  11. Zhaunil_AB Augur

"approximately" means we are lucky to play the next day.
    As Europeans we've gotten used to that as they ALWAYS patch way into our prime time.
    They'd not have that many unpaid early-testers otherwise...
  12. Scoresby New Member

I would agree with you on almost any other business other than one relying on brand new computer coding to open its doors. SoE, among many other developers of real-time updatable games, had always made it know that estimated down times are "estimations." And they've always been terrible at communicating with their player base. DBG is just following industry norms. and we passively say "OK, do that over and over devs," because we keep paying for the content. Doesn't make it right, but it should no longer come as a surprise.
  13. Troutfest Augur

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...es.jpg#/media/File:Chaplin_-_Modern_Times.jpg
    Claan and Antagonist like this.
  14. Antagonist New Member

Anyone want to take bets that we aren't playing by 5pm pacific?
  15. Questoften32 Augur

I'll bet, and I'll raise by 20 hours. Because of the indefinite: ''locked until further notice'' thread update.
  16. TenkenTurtle Elder

"will be extended accordingly" means.... what exactly? I mean seriously ... wtf?
    Claan likes this.
  17. svann Augur

sorry for the delay and we promise to get your characters back one way or another
    :p
  18. Abrhum Journeyman

Raise your hand if you're salty because it's your one day off. (raises hand)

Raise your other hand if you're extra salty because your wife is out of town too. (raises other hand)

I'll just go cry in the corner. :(
    Kanjien, Qalliel and Claan like this.
  19. Questoften32 Augur

Or maybe service may never be resumed..in any reasonable length amount of time that is.

The announcements have a very ominous, though not quite sinister, in there implications, feel to them.

We could be in for a long hard slog.
  20. Claan Elder

I think it means the same as, "We are investigating a potential issue with server xyz" when a server suddenly drops.