Add a delay to /pick abuse

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldkracow, Jun 6, 2017.

1. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Yes I know /pick is great but I'm getting tired of seeing some folks abuse bypassing the time limit or /picking every 5 minutes in hopes of getting a rare spawn.

How about just adding in a delay every time you use it beyond (x) and it resets every (x) hours.
  2. AgentofChange Augur

5 mins is pretty reasonable and has been wildly successful on 3 TLPs already. I see no reason to change it for Agnarr.
  3. daffie999 Augur

Has it though? Wildly? More than a fair share of griefing has started from people using /pick to try and "dps race" a rare spawn. In lguk it's possible to "dps race" 5 different frenzy spawns.

That is 100% not the intention of /picks. The idea is to give everyone more room not a few people more named spawns.

With that said, who would be hurt by an additive /pick time? Nobody but those trying to abuse the system to farm multiple picks.
  4. AgentofChange Augur

Better than having the entire server dps race you with only 1 version of the zone. The reality of the first few weeks of any expansion is "dps race bruh". This has always subsided shortly after.

People who want stuff now can do 1 of 2 things.
    - Be better at DPS than the other person
    - Pay for the item

Compared to the alternative, ya it's wildly successful. Add an increasing timer each time you /pick and you screw over people just trying to play the game normally. There is a simple rule you should incorporate into your life if you are ever given any authority, and that is to not punish the 90% due to the actions of the 10%.
    Talladore likes this.
  5. Finchy Augur

ehm, i think this is where i come in right?

6. Darchon_Xegony Augur

One of the main reasons this would suck is you often have to pick around to find an open camp for your group and then wait 5 minutes to all group up. Adding timing to that just so you can figure out which pick has which camp open would be lame.

I'd really like to see the autojoin channels on TLPs involve a channel for each zone you enter with a pick, that leaves that zone channel when you zone out.

This way everyone in LGuk for example joins the LGuk channel and you can do a cross-pick Camp Check more easily without having to burn everyone's pick timer cycling through doing CCs in each pick. Though... I know many/most don't use the autojoins so who knows how useful this idea might end up being.
    snailish likes this.
  7. Amoeba Augur

As much as I love /pick for moving group to a better camp spot easily, and also for checking multiple instances for named that drop quest items (simply asking to loot rather than stealing a mob), I'd not be torn up if /pick spawned you at the succor point in the instance.
    Gana likes this.
  8. daffie999 Augur

Nobody is saying to eliminate /pick. The issue is the people who /pick every 5 minutes and attempt to take every single named spawn in every single instance of a zone.

As for punishing others you are missing it.... There are MANY suggestions that allow for people using /pick as intended to continue using it. Nobody in guk is using /pick every 5 minutes for hours on end due to legitimate reasons.
  9. AgentofChange Augur

No good or easy solutions. You are also grossly exaggerating your claim.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  10. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Like others have pointed out increasing pick timers or putting a delay would have negative repercussions for groups trying to find a open camp in one of the picks.

What they need to do is fix the base zone so once the base zone reaches its threshold, it needs to automatically zone new people zoning in over into the picks that haven't reached the threshold yet. This will get rid of base zones having 100 people and picks having 30 or so people in them, in turn opening up a whole new pick.
  11. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

How many times in a 24 hour period does your average person use it?
    The only person the delay should effect is the guy going /pick every 5 minutes trying to kill a rare in another /pick.

Heck here you go 24 /picks before the delay kicks in then it adds an extra 15 minutes per /pick and resets each day.

Only people this will catch is the person not trying to find an open camp.
    Last 3 hours with my 5 box I've used /pick once.

Then again I'm not trying to steal camps using /pick like some folks.
  12. Linq New Member

increase time between pick and force /pick to move you to zone in.
    sure some might use it as an evac, but since you cant use it in combat and increased pick time outweighs the possible abuse of using /pick as an evac.
    will this happen? lol no. but i felt crazy and i felt like posting
  13. MaxTheLion Augur

Remember those times where you would /pick to the main pick to try to get to the AoC for your raid but because the zone was so packed you'd get denied entry after your loading bar finished? Pepperidge Farms remembers. If your wonderful idea would have been implemented when it was first brought up (Which it has before... You're not the first with a "great" idea that turns out to not be great.), you'd have tons of people with 20+ minute wait timers frustrated because they can't get to their raid.
    Alekyne likes this.
  14. daffie999 Augur

"Grossly exaggerating"... Let me ask you honestly, do you use /pick to try and take named mobs from multiple instances?

If yes, this is an entirely separate issue.

If no, than how often are you actually using /pick. It only has an affect on a new group. 6 people all /pick separately, check 6 different instances, join one that has a free camp they want. That's 5 minutes. Nothing changes. You could allow people to do that 5 times... that's 25 minutes of picking and checking 30 different instances. If anyone picks more than 5 times within 30 minutes, tack on to their timer for a brief time. I really do not know how to explain it any better.

If you are the that is trying to bounce around stealing multiple name spawns then just admit it... Again that is a separate issue. The "innocent" person looking for a group gets hurt a whole lot more by sitting at a camp with a griefer showing up each spawn.
    oldkracow and Your_Ad_Here like this.
  15. AgentofChange Augur

Your assumption here is that it is easy for the devs to make this change. I assure you it is not.
  16. Runes Augur

I would be one of the people advocating to get rid of the 5 minute lockout as it is way too long when there are multiple picks open and you are trying to find groups to join. Sometimes changing picks and sending tells directly to group leaders asking to be put on a wait list works much better than spamming chat channels or keeping LFG up.

I'd rather see no timer if you have not been in combat and you can pick and move freely but then make it a 15 minute timer to switch from the last moment you were in combat, to delay the pick abusers.
    Runes
  17. Kiani Augur

I've seen some solutions that could be viable.

- Using pick takes you to zone in / succor point. Maybe this could be abused, as a way to cross zones, but I don't think that's a big deal - as someone said, you can't use it in combat, so it wouldn't work for evac, and most large zones that you'd want to succor across wouldn't have many picks up, they don't tend to be that busy. Even if you could do that, it's nothing that a druid or wizard can't do anyway. Maybe have it only for dungeons. I imagine this would be easy to implement. I can't think why it couldn't be viable.

- Having an escalating timer. The first 2 times you use /pick, it's 5 minutes. The next time you use it in a zone, it's 10 minutes, then 15, etc. It goes back to 5 minutes if you don't use pick for an hour. Or something like that. Probably not easy to implement safely, though.

There have been other solutions, I can't remember them right now, some have flaws, some seemed workable. But the succor point one seemed to me to be the most workable.

There really is a problem with pick, some people use it to hold down multiple versions of the same camp. In classic, it's often Efreeti, in Kunark on RF and Phinny, it was notably the Hierophant in Sebilis. It might be possible to move in on one of those camps, but if they know exactly when the spawn is due, they can often be there with firepower enough to take it from whoever moved into the camp. Which is quite likely to happen, because the pick hoppers aren't around for camp checks and the camp looks deserted.

Pick is useful, it helps more people to be able to get xp in a timely manner, but it is flawed. Most people just get on with things, I've been in crypt groups in seb which just ignore the hiero room and let the pick hoppers get on with it, for example. But it's not ideal, and people are using it as I'm sure it's not intended to be used.
  18. AgentofChange Augur

This would be an incredible inconvenience for people trying to find camps. Imagine no one calls King in Lguk, you drag your group down to the King camp, and it turns out it's actually camped. Now you pick over, you're on the undead side, and you have to go through the entire process again.

In practice this is a really poor solution that, once again, is a massive inconvenience to people just trying to find a camp. Like I said earlier, you can't punish the 90% due to the actions of the 10%.

This would not really be simple. It would take a considerable amount of time to develop & implement and it also punishes people who are just trying to find a camp.
  19. snailish Augur

careful, we'll end up with no named spawns in picks at all and the base zones will go back to being full KS-fest all the time.

I'm nearly certain a dev posted before that moving picks back to zoneline or a succor was not going to happen as they felt the cheating travel aspect was a bigger issue. Increasing the pick timer is contrary to those trying to use it as intended (at least partially) to get into a PuG... if out-of-character-pick chat existed maybe that would counterbalance that... or you'd have a new channel with constant and confusing camp checks.

It's unfortunate that a slice of the population choose to play without consideration for others.

I try and choose my fun away from popular named farms which really helps not having the issues.
  20. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

I love that in the midst of constant crowding even with picks and a pick system that is barely making getting camps easier, some people are concerned that people are getting camps.