TLP stolen from Current EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Goth, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Goth Augur

Is it me or has the TLP basically robbed us of current development? It doesnt really seem like much has been worked on as far as current and future EQ sense the launch of TLP..

With what seems to be extremely limited resources on the staff it looks to be that most of it is just working on TLP issues. Most of the patches lately are centered around TLP

I guess thats where the money is. Sad though because i would rather more work done on new stuff rather than recycled nostalgia content.

This has be be taking away from future development and content.
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

We won't know for sure until they announce the next micro expansion, but given that the last couple patch notes have been like 2/3 or more things solely for TLP, the outlook for live servers does not leave me optimistic.

Same staff cut way way down, *then* some of the devoting at least a decent amount of time to TLP only? Not good =/
  3. Kolani Augur

Shhh, I got a seven day for this when I brought it up.
    Motherlee, Silv, Fallfyres and 3 others like this.
  4. Vanrau Augur

The last video they put out or the last one I watched, Elidroth said he and I believe Aristo were working on the campaign.
  5. Aghinem Augur

I'm sure you got your grievances, but many of us non-TLP are tired of hearing about it in the Veteran's Lounge. That is why we come over to the VL. In a way, bringing up this topic is kind of like talking behind the TLP community's back by not writing this up on the TLP forum. I went over there about 40 minutes ago and said my piece and left it over there.

Honestly, though - whats the point you are trying to make? This kind of article doesn't serve as anything but to get people riled up; kind of like what those professional protesters did in Baltimore and Ferguson.

You cannot prove that the TLPs are taking time away from the Devs anymore than I can prove that the US President is a sleeper cell terrorist. Seriously, let it go - spend time with your friends and guild mates - enjoy the game for however long it will be around.
    Rhoulicas and sifonin like this.
  6. segap Augur

That communication should be outside of the TLP venues so that the people that could care less about TLP actually get the news that concerns them.
    Motherlee, beryon and Kolani like this.
  7. svann Augur

Totally disagree. The balance between live and tlp has been fair and precisely what I expect.
  8. Vanrau Augur

Oh you're preaching to the choir. I'm sure there are many more EQ gamers that come here to the forums than watch their videos or read twitter.
  9. Iila Augur

Last year some people freaked out when it was mentioned that PoWar took up dev time. It didn't come out of nowhere, and Dzarn didn't do all that work in his free time away from his job.

TLP fixes/changes are being done by EQ devs at work. Therefor they are being done in lieu of other work those people could be doing in that time. So unless there are new, non-EQ devs working on TLP things, or the current devs are working inside a time bubble, time that would have been spent on EQ is now being spent on TLP.
    Mintalie, Silv, Sheex and 5 others like this.
  10. Zarzac Augur

The balance or "stolen time" or whatever else is attributed to the progression stuff to me is irrelevant.

The last true 6 month expansion was coincidentally enough The Buried Sea. We got 14 zones most of them tiny with a whole bunch of missions and new cool scaling currency. We got a set of 7 really cool, really hard, raids to do while Ashengate and Frostcrypt were also still good as there was no level increase.

I could care less what they are doing with progression.

What I do care about is that for around 34.99, which would put it about on par inflation wise with the 29.99 we paid for TBS in 2007. I am hoping that we get an expansion that is comparable in content and depth to TBS which was the last 6 month expansion.

If we don't, then obviously the remaining current content player-base will each have their own decisions to make on if they buy it and keep playing irrespective of what is going on with progression servers.

Daybreak will have to hope they allocated their business resources appropriately so the next expansion meets their expectations profit wise. I hope they have.
    Elricvonclief and Fanra like this.
  11. Reht The Dude abides...

I have heard Dzarn is also working on the campaign, so should have some good content, just not sure how much of it.
  12. Weverley Augur

As far as i know next campaign coming early fall so shouldn't u wait before wondering if you have been left out or not.
  13. Reht The Dude abides...

Possibly, but we also know what we got with TDS (woefully inadequate for an annual expansion in spite of nice art work) and now there is an even smaller team that is split between TLP and developing new content for live. We have a right to be concerned, we have been getting less and less over the last couple of years with unfulfilled promises of larger content, more transparency (oh boy did that sense heading forum work out great for us....), etc.
  14. Numiko Augur

There are more people currently playing on the TLP server's then all the "live" servers put together.

Of course this wont last forever but for now Daybreak is following the money.
    Nenake likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm frustrated at how much live content they broke and how long it is taking to get fixed with the implementation of the progression server. They got the login queue system written overnight, how long did it take for live servers to get POK NPCs fixed (again) and Anniversary events fixed? 16th anniversary missions weren't even fixed before they ended. How can you say the balance is fair?

Changes on TLP servers should NOT affect live servers!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Iila like this.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Daybreak making money from the TLP servers is a good thing for EQ in general unless they end u p making most of their money from the TLP servers. Dev time will go where the most profit is. And that is not up to the Devs to decide.
    Nenake likes this.
  17. Reht The Dude abides...

That is true, but live is what has kept the doors open and the lights on. However they also know that we will keep playing and paying while our guilds and servers die slowly from attrition because we are unwilling to quit en masse like the TLPers are. Hopefully the TLPs will stay populated enough with returning players to make all this work worth while in the long run, resulting in a trickledown effect for us.
  18. Azzudien Augur

I think trickle down effect is a good way to phrase what the TLP servers are doing. I play on the TLP servers though I would rather play live servers. I have 75 Druid that was born back in 1999. I have tried to play on live but it is a daunting task to get up to speed on live servers. Yes I am druid and could solo, but I hate soloing, I enjoy grouping and having fun with other people. A 75 druid just cannot do that as there is no one on live servers in that level range.
    I enjoy EQ and always have, but RL things pull you away and unfortunately the only way to get back into EQ when you have time is TLP servers.
    TLP's pull people back to the game and many times I think once TLP players smash into a 6 month wait for the next expansion they will go back to or try live and hopefully stay on live. I hope I can make the transition again at some point.
    In the end, I think the TLP only help live server populations, though short term right now I am sure it hurts is a bit.
  19. Mardy Augur

I 100% agree, while we're at it, I wish they could separate the game codes between EQ Live and special ruleset servers. This way we wouldn't have to stomach overpowered mages, op'ed monk fists, and crazy powerful character stats on the progression servers just because they're the way they are on EQ Live.

On that front everybody agrees. It's just whatever their code limitations preventing them from doing it right.
    Yinla and Agrippa like this.
  20. Nolrog Augur

I don't think that's the case. It's just that the TLP stuff is much more visible than the non-TLP stuff right now. The first campaign is being worked on though, and is due, in the fall.
    PrathunEQ likes this.