[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and Boxing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by teagray2, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathule New Member

And what about the thousands of gaming peripherals that do this? Keyboards, Mice, etc? Are all of those bannable as well? There are dozens of ways to replicate what [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] does, yet only [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] is bannable?
    Silv likes this.
  2. Rolien Elder

You forgot to add "Next?" at the end.
  3. Tamier Augur

I've never used any 3rd party program while playing EQ. I don't see any reason to change now.
  4. neverrain Elder

They care now because they like need something to complain about. They are because they weren't the first to kill these mobs and made no effort to do so either.
  5. Warpeace Augur

History repeats itself, Who is in charge of Daybreak????
  6. Alexanders Augur

This is a problem. You could not simultaneously click 6 buttons yourself hence the program is helping you do something you could not otherwise. People who box with two monitors or Alt tab between them is not an issue. Pressing 1 button and having 6 characters react in a facet of ways depending on group make up is automation not boxing.

As per Roshen in the live twitch feed yesterday controlling multiple characters with the push of one button using software to broadcast keystrokes and in game macros is "Not Awesome".

Using key broadcasting is hence forth not boxing. You are playing one character and botting the other ones your sending key broadcasts to. Yes it's semantics and yes there is a fine line and no some programs like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] will not do anything if you don't push the keys. However you could never control a group of 6 characters anywhere near as efficiently without it. Hence cheating the software is allowing you to do something you otherwise could not. Like make 6 mages all send their pets to attack the same mob and cast a direct damage spell and sit down with the touch of one button on the one box you happen to drive with.

Playing this way is why people are complaining of being banned / suspended etc. If you push 1 button and via key broadcasts 5 other accounts react you are botting not boxing. Semi automated boxing maybe but the argument remains the software is allowing you to do something you otherwise can't. Even if you alt tab them or had say it isn't so 6 different monitors setup there would still be delays in your control of the group that [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] eliminates for you.
  7. Silv Augur

Right. And you didn't answer my question.

Because based on your logic for banning people for [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], anyone who utilized ANY of those other programs I listed should also be banned. Or are we cherry picking our bannable 3rd party software?
  8. Tamier Augur

There are not dozens of ways to replicate it. But the few ways, are by writing a script, and that again, is a person writing a program to modify OR gain an advantage over other people. So as the ToS is expressly written, yes that would be a violation as well. They probably won't enforce anything. But if they don't, they need to change their ToS. Then people wouldn't have a platform to complain upon, as it is not being enforced. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] gives a clear and huge advantage. People do not like it. Not suprising in a massive multiplayer online game.
  9. Melanippe Augur

Your Dodge ability skill increased! 18
    Silv likes this.
  10. Felicite Augur

We call our boxer Goopey because he applies goop to everyone. He is banned from the dining area during meals.
    sihpa likes this.
  11. monegames Journeyman

It isn't automation. Automation means without human interaction or minimal human interaction. if an action(macro firing, character movement, etc...) can't take place without the human interaction(key press) it isn't automation. a computer program controls a character without the user pressing keys is automation. [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] requires the player(human) to press keys(interaction) for actions to happen.
  12. Tamier Augur

Figured you would jump in at some point. I notice not many of you are arguing the black and white of the ToS though.
  13. Blackdot New Member

My mom is dead and has been for a long time. The house it's mine, I work and do fairly well. Thanks for making me think of her tho :)
  14. Willy Willers Lorekeeper

Its not extremely unfair in any way shape or form.
  15. Melanippe Augur

Actually, I've considered using a colored font, since Black and White seems to be indecipherable to you.
  16. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

third party programs that provide automation by the ToS are cheating... the only part of using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] that automates anything for you is in game macros. which you your self stated the devs are ok with.
  17. Master Kahleem Augur

It isn't any different, and that's the point many are missing.
  18. Shmef Augur

you seem to miss this part of your beloved rule..... except as expressly authorized by Daybreak. they have said it was ok many times, for a very, very long time.
  19. Banai Augur

1 key press = 1 action (legit)
    1 key press = multiple actions at once (automation)

If you want to run 4+ PCs and are able to hit the buttons on your own more power to you but anything that plays it for you should be bannable as it is in every other game. Just because eq never stopped it doesnt mean its right
    Tamier likes this.
  20. Zechs Lorekeeper

Don't attempt to speak that logic here. That person has been on a crusade for some time now. There is no rational discussion left within them.
    Melanippe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.