GamParse 1.0.5 Test

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beimeith, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Fenudir Augur

The actual reason for my question dealt more with how comfortable are you with how stable and accurate the software is. I can muddle through with out docs. I'm more interested in solid code.
  2. Marshall Maathers Augur

I think there are a lot of people using the current version now, and so far I haven't seen any complaints about how solid the code is.
    Lisandra likes this.
  3. Fenudir Augur

To be fair, I haven't heard of any complaints. I just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Well, it's as stable as it has ever been insofar as all of the crash bugs I have encountered, or that people have mentioned to me have been fixed. That includes several older crash bugs in previous versions.
    Lisandra likes this.
  5. Fenudir Augur

I've never had 1.0.3 crash on me so I wouldn't know about crash issues. I do know that 1.0.3 would sometimes parse a fight differently if you re-opened the log file. Hopefully, that issue has been taken care of.
  6. SaderakhBertox Augur

I wish it didn't pop me out of Everquest during raids when the log file reaches 100MB in size, due to the prompt. That's technically my problem for wanting it that size though. All around great work! :)

Could that have been that the first time around it didn't register any pet owners clicking 'leader'?
    Lisandra likes this.
  7. Lisandra Augur

1.0.5 blows 1.0.3 out of the water with so many more features & improvements. You're doing yourself a disservice if you haven't upgraded to 1.0.5
    Iila likes this.
  8. Fenudir Augur

No. I do know that it tends to happen more the longer the parse gets. The first time that I noticed it was on a self only parse that I had done. I've seen it crop up a few times since.

I'm sure it does. I just happen to have a significant aversion to using beta code. That's why I asked the question about both the stability and the accuracy of 1.0.5.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Open 1.0.3.2 with no log file loaded and run a search and you will get errors. Technically it isn't a crash since you can hit 'continue' and the program will stay open, but there have been several similar issues that really only happen on accident or in weird circumstances.

Do you have any way to reproduce the issue of 1.0.3.2 parsing differently on reloading? It definitely shouldn't be doing that. The only time I can think that it might do that is if you changed the fight time-out so that it was combining or splitting fights at a certain time, and then once you loaded it again it recombined or split them differently based on that.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Well, you can disable the auto-checking or change how often it checks.

I can also add in an option that doesn't ask for confirmation and just backs up silently, but I'm not sure if that is really a good idea. The reason I didn't do that before is because 1) it could backup midfight and screw up parses, and 2) there can be a decent performance hit on the machine depending on the size of the file, and that would be bad to happen in the middle of a raid.
    Lisandra likes this.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

On an unrelated note: I have a question for people regarding the installer version (which you haven't seen yet).

Currently when you use the installer, it comes up that it is from an "unknown publisher" and "are you sure you want to install?" etc. etc.

It looks like this:
    [IMG]

This is because of how signing works:

1) Creator of a program has a key, and they use this key to create certificates which are distributed out.
    2) Programs are signed with the same signature.
    3) When you install a program, and it has the same signature, it shows as being a verified publisher. If it doesn't match a certificate on file, it shows as unknown publisher.

For professionally created programs, companies purchase keys from a Trusted Authority (TA) like Verisign. Windows (and most other OSes) come with certificates from Verisign pre-installed so you don't have to do anything.

I don't have $500 / year to purchase a key from them, hence why when you install GP it shows as unknown publisher.

Now, there is another way. I created my own personal key, and I've used that to sign GamParse. When you install it looks like this:

[IMG]

It shows that this program was created with MY personal key, (not a key from a TA like Verisign) so you know it is a real version of GamParse and not a fake one someone else made.

The only problem with this is that for it to work, you have to have a trust certificate, like I mentioned before, generated by my key installed on your computers to compare against the installer.

Now, I can distribute the trust certificate to people so that the signing verification will work, but in the end, you still have to install/trust the certificate.

Or to put it another way:

I can just give the installer, which shows unverified and you have to trust it is genuine when you install it.

Or

I can give the certificate, which you have to trust it is genuine and install, but if you do, it will verify that gamparse is the real deal.

My question is if it is worth it to distribute the certificate etc, because it is more complicated, or whether people don't care?
  12. Lisandra Augur

I think it would be worth the extra time to have the trust certificate. Is there a way to just put a link to the certificate on the same download page as the installer & then simple instructions on where to place it? I think most EQ players are proficient enough to do something that simple after all these years of having to download & unzip map packs & run 3rd party apps to make EQ better but I very well could be wrong.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I can post it online to download with instructions. It is actually very easy to setup a certificate, but I've learned to never underestimate the helplessness of people, heh.

The benefit of the certificate is that once it is setup, you don't have to worry about it whenever I release updates until the certificate expires, (which is like a year).
    Lisandra likes this.
  14. Fenudir Augur

If you try to do a search on a non-existent log file, it's not the software's fault. You're an idiot. I suppose a simple "No log file loaded" message would do. I'm a fan of "Your dumb tush just tried to do a search with no log file. I'm going to quit now and give you a chance to get some coffee."

The longer the fight, the easier it is to reproduce. If I were to do a solo parse of, say, 6 hours, and then re-load the the log file, I can almost (but not totally) guarantee that the results will be different.

And as for the installer, I'm indifferent to the signature. Then again, I wouldn't download the software from anywhere other than the official site anyway.
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Are you saying that what is displayed on the live overlay isn't what comes out on the final results? Or what comes out on the final result the first time is not what comes out on the final result when you reload it?

You may not, but I know guilds will sometimes post copies of files on their websites to make it easy for new members to get setup and stuff (which I'm ok with), and there are plenty of people that just install whatever they come across on the internets.
  16. segap Augur

I'd prefer to just get the binaries with no installer. Otherwise, the untrusted one. Sorry, but I don't know how secure you'll keep the private key and as a self signed cert, there is no way for you to revoke the key if something happens to it. I don't want to give trust to a cert that I cannot trust the safety of.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

There will be a binary, but really the installer is what I'd like people to use in the future since it will allow for much easier updating.
    Lisandra likes this.
  18. Fenudir Augur

Not the live overlay but the final parse that you can copy to clipboard to paste in game or copy for the forums. Details if you so desire as well.

For example, say I decide I want to test ability X on a test dummy. I parse for 6 hours then stop. Wait the obligatory amount of time for the software to realize that the fight is over and post. The displayed results may change if I decide to re-load the file. It won't happen every time but it does seem to have a greater chance the longer the parse is. However I have to admit that I don't freak out over it or anything. I've always assumed that it had something to do with rolling calculations vs an attempt to calculate everything all at once.

As for the installer, I fully appreciate your position since I can think of at least three other places where I can download Gamparse (and yes, they're all guild sites). My position was strictly based on what I do and what would work for me. I make no assertion that it works, or is even beneficial, for anyone else.
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Can you give me an example, like, a SS of the program before and and after you reload it? And the exact steps you did to make it happen?

As for the installer, what I will likely do is have the cert available on the website as well with instructions for those that want it.
  20. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

It'll update with or without the cert, right? Whether you pick it up or not? I'll be doing it for 3 computers, and not gonna lie, I don't want to do any more work than I have to. So I'll do whatever it requires to make it update like GINA does.
    Lisandra likes this.