/char command......

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kelefane, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Kelefane Augur

When you type /char in game, it says - You are currently bound in: The Guild Lobby and whatever noobie zone your home city is at.

Does that secondary bind even mean anything?
    Also, is there any way to change that secondary/second bind point? (If its even a secondary bind at all)
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  2. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

3. Iila Augur

That's your origin point.
    Druids and Wizards also have our Secondary Bind point listed in there.
    moogs and Kelefane like this.
  4. Kelefane Augur

Yeah, thats interesting. I race changed and mine still says Nektulos Forest. But Origin clearly takes me to Cabilis.

I even petitioned for it for to be changed to The Field of Bone, but the GMs stated that they cant change it themselves.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

My guess is that your origin is still Nektulos, but there is some type of intercept which is rerouting you instead. That is just a guess though. It could also be that race changing changes 1 thing in the database, but not the other, and the command is pulling up the unchanged one.
    Kelefane likes this.
  6. Kelefane Augur

So no real way to really change it yourself somehow huh?
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Origin places you to in front of your class GM either in the home city of your race/class/deity combination or in Crescent Reach. So along the lines of what Beimeith said, I am betting that, while your home city is still set to whatever Neriak zone the SK GM is in, Origin checks like this:
    Code:
                                Origin was triggered.
                                      |
                      Is home city Crescent Reach?
                    /                          \
                  Yes                          No
                  |                              \
    Sends you to your GM in CR.        Does your race/class/deity combo
                                      have more than one home city option?
                                    /                    |
                                 Yes                     No
                                /                        |
    What home city did you choose?        Sends you to your race/class/deity home city.
                              |
    Sends you to the home city you chose.
    Kelefane likes this.
  8. myelbow New Member

Well, I'm not sure how it's handled because Origin clearly takes my 14 year old character to Crescent Reach even though I do believe /char shows Greater Faydark as my secondary. (Half-Elf, Ranger - started in Kelethin at game launch)

For the sake of clarity, I just came back right after the March FTP changes and hadn't played since roughly 2005.

Personally, I would much prefer that Origin transported me to my actual home city though. :(
  9. Kelefane Augur

Origin takes me to Cabilis. However, under /char the second "bind" says Nektulos Forest when it should be reading The Field of Bone. Remember, I recently race changed from DE to Iksar. So am I guessing that its just something that doesnt change along with the race change.

The only reason I am even bringing this up, is due to the fact that I am curious if on raids like SL, where it pulls information from your character like this, if it'll be a confusing cluster-you know what due to it.
  10. Iila Augur

There's also the bit that if you've dropped to f2p, your origin gets set to CR, and if you made the char long enough ago, you can choose which home city it sends you to. Some command and city list used to come up every time I logged in, but I guess I either picked a city or it got cleared when I server transferred.

My never-f2p Iksar SK from classic era lists Field of Bone and origins to East Cabilis.

EverQuest is confusing.
  11. Meri Quite Contrary New Member

When I died way back when on my DE necro, I would come to in nek forest. near the gates of the city(back when you could run into the tunnel!)and run over to collect my body when it was safe. Fast forward to this character and one day soon after creation, I noticed my /char info said C.Reach despite being born in Neriak. I petitioned, saying that Im a DE, I feel I belong bound to my forest dwelling. So ,it was changed to Guild Lobby/Nek Forest.
    However when I use Origin, I go right to my GM in the 3rd gate, same as when I click 'return home' button from the char select screen. I imagine that since I have a clicky to go to my GM already, that I wouldn't mind being bound to that forest spot on origin. It wouldn't be that useful, but would be nostalgic,and different.:(
  12. Sebbina Augur

Origin for CR characters places you in that little open area way back past the tree living dragons, not all land in the same spot, someday if I get really curious, I may try to plot if diff classes/races land in special spots.
  13. gcubed Augur

There was a bug a while back that changed some people's origin to CR. I had to petition to get it changed back.
    Leerah likes this.
  14. Wuttever Augur

Personally I think the race change is bugged, and bad, and should be way cut rate simply because of this crazy inability to change the secondary bind to reflect the new chosen secondary bind. I did race change one character, and ended up deleting it because I couldn't stand seeing the wrong place when I typed /char. I did petition, and heard back they can't change it.

But I also heard on here different times over the years they have changed it for some, such as those who were mistakenly moved to Crescent Reach.

I still can't believe, well, almost sorta, this is EQ after all, they can't get that simple thing done right for a race change. Until they get that fixed, I tell everyone to don't even think about doing it. If they are at all like me, that blatant flaw will smack em in the face every day.

I do check my bind point often. So I see the mistake often, and it does grate on my nerves something fierce. Maybe because I am certain they could fix it pretty easily, and I paid good money for the service, and I would never have accepted such shoddy service out of any store I deal with. But SOE wouldn't budge. Grr.
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It's not your secondary bind. It's your origin.

Secondary Bind is a Wizard/Druid AA.
  16. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

if u petition they will change your orgin to the race you changed too.. long ago they had a command to change your orgin, if u petition they activate it for you.
    Leerah likes this.
  17. Kelefane Augur

Thats being a bit too extreme about the situation IMO. Yeah, its annoying to look at and its something that should be fixed, but there is nothing "crippling or broke" about it. The race change is still legit. You gain everything the new race brings to the table.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  18. Kelefane Augur

hrmm, then why have the GMs stated that they can change your Origin point, however, they cannot change what it says under the /char command? Or are they just being lazy? (Which wouldnt surprise me)
  19. gcubed Augur

The GM's don't change your origin. You do. They just reactivate the Starting City command for you to use.
  20. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

if they change your origin they arnt activating the command, hence why your /char isnt changing..
    Kelefane likes this.