Will older content areas be retextured?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jacob Dragonhunter, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Now before any of you hit that reply button let me just say this:
    I'm fully aware they still got plenty of NPC's that need to be retextured and updated, I'm not asking them to rush their work or go into a graphics overhaul.

I like the NPC updates, a lot. I think the newer models look really good. Black Canary's update is a fine example of "Night and Day" compared to her current in-game model.

But as good as these NPC's look, I can't help but feel like their presence will be significantly underwhelming. And that's because they feel out of place with the content they get swapped into.

Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are two NPC's that are going to be updated, and with that comes their placement into older content. Your going to see them right next to the old funhouse, the greenhouse, and again they look out of place.

My point being: If NPC's are getting retextured, I feel like it'll be an even greater enhancement to see the environments that surround them get updated as well.

And don't just limit this to instances, maybe update the Open worlds too: Eg Gotham and Metropolis since you know... some of these NPC's are bounties, attached to feats, and so much more.

I know there's still lots of NPC's that are bound to get updated with every episode release, but if all of the content they are involved in also gets updated with a refresh/retexture; I can only imagine the models'll pop out even more than they do now.

Thoughts?
    • Like x 1
  2. SigmaAtom Committed Player

I agree man..

I think Zatanna looks amazing, she is the double of Jennifer Connelly .. however WW looks like a dude.

The environment textures .. we have better environment textures already, but due to inconsistency when the worlds (cities) were built the res is all over the place. Now the team could say they did it to increase performance back in the day.. but this is something that still keeps happening even today with our powerful hardware.

The rocks in DM raid are.. I would say around 144p.. not 1440p.. 144p. We have better rock textures.. but for some reason they were not used. (iirc new genesis content.. 360p?)

And this is the same across the board.. this style of optimization of lower textures when perfectly good higher textures are just sitting there, has been a mindset within the team for.. I would say.. many years.

They DO have good cause to do such things.. as we are a MMORPG.. latency is key to coordination on the servers, and that begins with optimization of textures.. however.. if other MMORPGs can do even better with 1440p/4K (Black Desert Online) ESO (720/1080) and MMOs Fortnite and PUBG (720 at least).. why can't DCUO?
    • Like x 3
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

As nice as it would be to see the environments get a little attention, that seems like kind of a big request. Getting the NPCs polished up and refreshed is nice, but it's been a slow process that's taken place over various episodes. To me that kinda says it's not a quick and easy process, and even if some of the delays might come from back-and-forth with DC before it's approved it's still not happening at warp speed or across all NPCs.

Environments are bigger and would probably take a lot more time. Plus I'm sure the question of "is it worth the time/money needed?" would come up, and I'm not 100% sure that it would be considered worth it. At most you might get folks visiting a refreshed area a couple times to see how it looks, but there's no guarantee they'll keep coming back just because it's a little more shiny now.
    • Like x 1