Why more events are bad

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by comrade sonya, Mar 29, 2017.

1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Fixed that for ya. ;)
    • Like x 2
  2. Hollow Gohan Well-Known Player

I agree with everything you've said, and am in the same boat in regards to my subscription. It seems the only reason I have a subscription at this point is the cash cap. In relation to the cash cap, it's either brilliant on their part, or just a major coincidence for them that the broker plays such a huge role in Time Capsule feats and OP collections... arguably the two most desirable pieces of content in the game currently.
  3. Ascended Well-Known Player

Conceptually, I like the idea of these big events. I had a lot of fun with the Anti-Monitor stuff, and while I didn't finish every last thing (I'm not a completion-ist) I got the stuff I was after. And I didnt have to spend any replays to do it.

But I cant argue with what everyone is saying.

Im hoping, perhaps in vain, that the game turns itself around once the stats revamp is finished. If it doesn't, then I'm not seeing membership as worth it anymore.
  4. DCUO Addict Committed Player

While I respect the opinions of everyone concerned about or dreading the large event, for my group, it's ideal. My friends are all at different tiers, and the events allow them to get back into the game and for us to play the same content at the same level. I'm also planning to use this event to level some of my alts through the CR range covered by monthly content. I hate the CR spreads for that content, and I'm not fond of most of the instances, so this is a great alternate progression path.

One reocurring theme in this thread that I do disagree with is the concept of being forced to replay the content. I really hope people don't spend replays, unless the enjoy one of the instances so much that they're doing it again for the joy of it. This community would be better off and the events and TCs would be less stressful/reviled if the general expectation is that players do NOT have to have the SP that can only be obtained in the near term by spending money. I recognize that's idealistic (and flies in the face of game theory), but I still believe it would be an improvement overall.
    • Like x 1
  5. Furdinand Active Player

I think saying that events are limited time and dlc is permanent isn't looking at the game the way the game is actually played. Consider the way AF III is being talked about when people about it in relation to the wait for the WW II DLC. It's getting called stale and people are tired of it. It can technically be available from now until the heat death of the universe, but that does nothing for the players that are done with it. Every DLC is limited time: it only lasts as long as a player has an interest in it. Even players progressing through it in the future won't get the same experience of going through AF III that current endgame players are. It'll just be another series of instances where high CR players mow everything down, same as every other DLC that isn't the latest DLC. Don't oversell the "permanent" aspect of DLCs.

The advantage of events is that they are available to all players regardless of CR. It will be challenging and relevant to everyone every time it is brought back. Forget clamping existing content, players can progress while also being challenged at any CR during an event. We'll see how it plays out in practice, but I think this could be a good way to balance the interests of new/slower paced players and people in the end game.
    • Like x 1
  6. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

I like to think of myself as open minded and honest. If I'm being intellectually honest here, I don't think the events suit my style as a player nor could they ever. I hate clamping in all its forms, and while I do see the potential for other types of gamers to enjoy it, I think we were better off with monthly content.

I'm not going to compare monthly content with the old school releases, I think it's an unfair comparison. In fact, I think any recent content would fall short of the old DLCs (OC, Battle for Earth etc).

The thing I'm pointing to, is that IMHO we were better off with monthly content. As it stands now, we are getting events, and (hopefully) two DLCs a year. AF3 was fun, but it was made unnecessarily long. The grind was made like that, in my mind, to give them time for the work on the revamp and to justify the "new" idea to have best gear on vendor. Personally, I don't like having the best gear on the vendor, and I think that from an RPG pov, it makes more sense to have the best drops come from your enemies. We could argue RNG isn't the best (and RNG does in fact suck) but I really think if we had kept having the best gear be drops, they would have been harder pressed to defend having AF3 last as long as it did as the end game/latest content.

I'm really happy to see more OP stuff, even though it doesn't really seem like OP pieces at all (the ring seems to be just a smidge better than the KCT one, no?). I also like the treasure chest for members, but I'm afraid I have to finally agree that membership doesn't really seem worth it anymore...

You get: no cash cap, all powers and episodes, a lair, promethium lockboxes (but they need a desperate overhaul that should have happened years ago), a few more stabilizers a day and... now a treasure chest. And oh yeah, the loyalty points... I dunno.

Look to me, if you're gonna play a game like this, you should just spring for the sub, even if you find the benefits worse than they currently are. But I know that is just my opinion and I'm from an older school of thought that basically makes me grateful it's not more than the price it currently is. That being said, the perks are pretty weak now, and I think with stuff like open episodes, and big sales on individual DLCs only works to make the benefits even weaker.

In the hope of not being only negative however, what can the devs REALISTICALLY add to the member benefits that would make it more worthwhile? (Please none of these foolish suggestions like unlimited stabilizers, that's ridiculous). I think a whole stabilizer a day is pretty fair if they're gonna keep these horrible drop rates...
  7. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I'm gonna get assaulted for this, but in the interest of keeping things accurate i'm making this statement. No one was lied to. People read what they wanted to read or misinterpreted what was actually being intended. What i'm referring to is the switch from Monthly Episodes to Large Episodes.

Monthly episodes contained two pieces of content, while Large Episodes as of this writing contains (or generally contained) six pieces of content in one go.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

People read "Large Episodes" (more than two pieces of content at once) and equated that to "Large content episodes" (more than six pieces of content per episode).
    [IMG]

I'm not sure why anyone assumed more pieces of content. And then to add to the HUGE ball of confusion, people thought we were going back to Quarterly episodes. Now this last one is rather murky as i've been told on other threads that Mepps said this on a podcast...but I can't verify that myself, so i'm taking peoples words with a grain of salt. As is, Mepps chimed in at some point to clear that up by saying that they intend(ed) to release "content" quarterly (what Doc Brown Jackster was referring to, in his unclear manner), which is to be taken as a mix of Episodes (the permanent story content we are used to like AF III) along with Large/Major Events (like the upcoming Starro Event, which would be rotated with other future events).

Now that we have that cleared up...this brings us to the point of the thread which is that it looks like we will be seeing less episodes than in the past (which I remember as being a minimum of 3 a year even though they wanted to make it 4, which only happened for about a year or two), and how this brings down the value of membership. I can see the point people are making in this regard...but i'm not at my personal breaking point. I'm still enjoying the game (even if it's not at the same level as when I started or at the height of when my league was truly active), and there's nothing to fill it's void if I walked away (so basically my PS4 would be relegated to a $400 Blu-Ray player). So i'm adopting a wait and see attitude, as usual. I'm monitoring the forums as always, and hoping that well thought out feedback can sway the powers that be to make this game better than it has been in a long while and/or find a way to make our memberships regain what might be a loss in value with this new paradigm shift.
    • Like x 5
  8. Hollow Gohan Well-Known Player

I don't believe people feel lied to, but I could be wrong. Instead I believe people see the precedent that Daybreak has set with content releases in the past year, and based on that observation are being vocal about why they believe it is a bad direction. Speaking for myself, I did not assume we would get more content per in the only episode we received. However, I did make the assumption that we wouldn't have DLC releases 5-7 months apart from each other at a time. Like you said, I was under the impression we would at least have 3 a year. It looks as though we will be having 2. This is the precedent they've set, and I find it disturbing. I wasn't lied to at all. I'm going to stick around with the game and see what happens as well. However, if the game continues on like this, bye bye membership.

Edit: I based my assumption of how many DLC releases I thought there would have been off of what I thought the value of my subscription was. *
    • Like x 2
  9. BumblingB I got better.

Lied to? No, not one bit. They never said they are going back to 4 DLCs a year, but I did hear Jackster say quarterly release, which confused me, but now I know what that meant. It meant they consider events as content release.
    January, February and March (Q1); April, May and June (Q2); July, August and September (Q3); and October, November and December (Q4)

Since other things are going on, I think the Starro event would be considered Q1 and Episode 28 would be in the Q2. So by that logic, another event will probably be slated for August to September and "maybe" another DLC in November.
    • Like x 1
  10. MaverickRaven657 Well-Known Player

This may be foolish to ask, but if there is gonna be an April Fool's Day event, it'd be nice to know what they're gonna do. But maybe the whole thing was a joke to begin with.
    • Like x 1
  11. BumblingB I got better.

Last year, they didn't even announce what they did. It was a briefing around amusement mile that when you finished it, it rewarded a base item that runs away from you. It also had a chance to drop in the vault. I know this was the basis on how they setup the base totems, like Teekl and penguins.
  12. Blight KOBRA Commander

The only thing I don't like about these events are the limited amount of time you have access to them. If they could all be lengthened to at least 2 (maybe 3) months, than that would be a major improvement.

Otherwise I say keep'em comin.
    • Like x 1
  13. Johnny0276 Dedicated Player

Eh, I just need a change. I found the Anti-Monitor event very frustrating. But I was able to get most of my alts caught up gear wise from it. And I've just about had my fill of AF3 content. I'm hoping with this event I can bypass it. Or at least get the drops for my alts that I haven't been getting running AF3 content.
    • Like x 1
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The Starro event is gonna run 57 days (approximately two months).
    • Like x 1
  15. xXHeadlinerXx Dedicated Player

I, like many on the thread, feel that DLC episode content is preferable to events. I also recognize some people like events. And Daybreak has limited resources to create content that it has to spend wisely. I believe at least 3/4 of the content creation resources in a year needs to go to episodes. 50/50 is not enough episode content in my opinion. There needs to be at least 3 episodes in a year otherwise there is too much dead time at endgame.
    • Like x 4
  16. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

17. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

This is why I'm really wondering where DC is headed. As of the moment, I'm starting to wonder why I still have the game installed.

Events, in my opinion: Used to be special. They happened at just the right time and gave you a break from the end-game stuff.

Events now: Nope, they don't feel special. It's Filler, too much Filler at that.

-Large content is Flawed. First off, you expect this thing to last? It won't. People already blew past Amazon Fury Part 3 thanks to Replay Badges. Replay Badges will make people bypass the grind and be off the game sooner, that shouldn't be happening. I'm not saying Replay Badges should be limited, but rather the content gap shouldn't be so big.
    Second of all, It's not worth subbing just for 2 Episodes a year.

TBH; I miss the old days when we had Quarterly content like Amazon Fury Part 2, that stuff was good and shouldn't have been changed.

Monthly content didn't work, and Large content won't work either with the largest end-game gap I've seen.

Thanks to said Gap that leaves us with two options, Play alts or take a break.

Alts are pointless to me, I play alts because they're alternatives or they are supposed to be. With The Limitations of Time Capsules, AM's, and Content being 1 hitted all the time by High CR's. I refuse to play on an alt for an extended period of time.

DC is supposed to have this "Super-being" vibe to it, but thanks to the events I don't feel like a Super-Being.

I should be fighting the Big-names in town, not chasing level 1 NPC's all day. In my opinion, that's not a game; that's tedious chores.

I want to log in and have fun on DCUO, Not Log off because I have nothing to do.

Stats-revamp is pretty much make it or break it for me.
    • Like x 1
  18. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

there is no reason for what there doing!!!! WOW had a great way to make money! MAKE A GAME EVERYONE WANTED TO P2P. SIMPLE. DBG just wants to do, as little as they can. and suck as much money out of players as they can. the game will NOT last long this way...
  19. light FX Steadfast Player

The difference with dlcs is u can choose at any time to go run that content, because its there. Its not a limited time. Dlcs are not limited time. I find saying that to be ridiculous, sorry. But i can go run nexus right now if i want. Wanna know why? Cause its dlc content and always in the game. Can i go run the anniversary event right now? Nope cause its a limited time event and its gone right now. Thats the difference. And with the a dlc players can run the content at their own pace and with the events ya cant do that. And lastly u can get all the rewards in a dlc on 1 character w/out having to replay. Ya cant do that with this starro event and couldnt do it with the anniversary event. Thats 3 major differences that are pretty significant to most players.

One other thing is there is a large % of players who dont like being clamped. The anniversary event we were buffed to 230cr. But the point is everyone is locked into a certain cr and stats. And when ya spend 2-3 months grinding gear in AF3 and for the next 6-7 months your clamped in all new content? Not a fan and that is the 4th major difference between dlcs and events ;) Im not trying to be rude but i find this whole dlcs and events stuff that people are saying to be very silly. There are very clear and obvious differences between the 2.
  20. Furdinand Active Player

Why would you run Nexus, are you missing a style or feats? If not, why bother?
    Even if you get a wild hair to run it, it isn't the Nexus as it was. Now it is a bunch of cut scenes briefly interrupted by bosses that are dropped in a second or two. Play it at any pace you want, but go too slow and it isn't really the same experience that players had when it was the max level content.
    Not saying it is the same as an event having a set end time, but all content has a shelf life.