When i tank i dont hold aggro.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by ApexNephilim, Dec 19, 2013.

1. EVLICERATOR New Player

finding the direct link would be hard to find due to it being on the old forums, but that is what he wrote as i saw it myself back then. if you choose to ignore it then i can't help you.
  2. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

well, if tunso said so, i guess i'm wrong on the subject of aggro, huh? i'm still going to disagree with you on explosive block. say what you want there unless you have a source for that too. and people like me? the subject of dominance affecting aggro is so minor compared to the worst of all information out there based on dcuo. speaking of bad information, why would you suggest going in with a loadout of just burnout and BD? disregarding your bet, it would be impossible to make it through that raid relying on just those two powers at this point and time of the game. and if a tank cant stay alive partly because of his low dominance, we cant blame that right? just scratch that out of the equation? no disrespect to the man, but did tunso say that too? haha, you know so much about dcuo, good job.
  3. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

then how else would you have gotten that quote if you dont have the link to the original source? being able to pull out the original source in full matters at this point. if i'm partly wrong on the subject of aggro, fine. but, i'd still like to see where that supposed quote originally came from.
  4. feegore New Player

13igtyme is 100% correct. If you are in tank stance, your powers will generate a higher threat than other roles. As a fire tank, I ALWAYS use Burning Determination and Burnout in my loadout. I've never had issues with losing aggro with either in Nexus or Dox.

Try going in with your Tank gear while in DPS role in Nexus. Throw a power and see how fast they start popping your healers, trolls, etc... Then go into Tank stance with your DPS gear. You'll hold aggro.

It's scary how many tanks don't understand how the role works. Spreading uninformed, misinformation just makes it worse.
    • Like x 2
  5. EVLICERATOR New Player

you can find where i found a copy of the the quote in this thread:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...-directly-effect-how-long-taunts-last.159921/
    and here is the original quote from this thread by tunso (the leads system designer for dcuo [i think] ). it's post #12 :
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/dom-helps-threat.37487/
    you aren't partly wrong btw, you are fully wrong on the subject of aggro.
    • Like x 5
  6. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

i don't know anything about tanking??? thats funny when i already mentioned points that you pointlessly reiterated, meaning you would agree with me partly. but, what are we really arguing about? how dominance does or doesn't effect aggro right? something extremely minor in regards to the subject of how to tank. and yes, you are contradicting yourself AGAIN because you keep saying how a power like burnout does not allow you to gain "full aggro", but this time you follow up by saying "because its a power where you are not attacking/taunting the enemies so you are not going to have aggro." CONTRADICTION buddy! if i do not have aggro from popping that power, which is what you said, that means the aggro is interrupted. and youre referring me to what another player mentioned, but say youre not sure of what he told you??? why even try arguing that then if youre not sure??? come on man, if you're going to try to change the way i see a particular subject at least think before you contradict yourself again.
  7. isamunore New Player

this game simplifies threat mechanics for tanks so you don't have to spec or equip gears specifically for that like in hardcore MMo's. When a tank uses a power that causes MIGHT based damage within 15-20 meters of an enemy npc they will charge at you and be solely focused on you for 8- 12 seconds. Thats aggro. They don't have to be instantaneously within kissing distance to prove you have aggro. Popping shields obviously isnt an attack and hence will not gain you aggro since no enemies suffered damage. Dominance is to boost a tanks defensive mechanics and to crowd control with powers and weapons.Hope that clears it up.
  8. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

thanks pal, i'll take a look at these. and no, i'm not fully wrong on aggro, i do understand what powers will give me such. we're only talking about dominance effecting it after all, something so minor. so yes, partly.
  9. feegore New Player

What do you think we do? We use taunting and CC effects to wrangle ads and taunt bosses. It's EXTREMELY important to understand how the mechanics of the role works. It's like a controller not knowing how PoT works.

Based on your "advice" to the OP it's pretty evident that you don't have a grasp on how tanking works. Aggro never gets "interrupted", you just lose it because you're not timing your powers correctly.
  10. Korlick Loyal Player

Your are not even understanding or trying to understand what im saying. And if you are uncapable of understand something as simple as that...then im done. Im not gonna keep going with this. Its like talking to a wall.
    All im saying is that you been prove wrong and right now you are realizing that you dont know the role (neither its mechanics) you are playing. I know, that must hurt your "iknowitall" persona. But its the reality.

Dont know what is worse, you spreading your voice around or that some people actually listen and believe what you say.
    • Like x 1
  11. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

um, i know what we do pal. just because i believed dominance effected aggro doesn't mean i don't know "how to tank". if i'm wrong on that, fine, because like i said that's a minor misunderstanding if such is really the case. as far as my "advice" to the op, i pointed out other possibilities to his problem, a problem which i don't have. meaning, i do know how to tank if i'm doing what i'm supposed to do to assist my team in raids or anything else. and if i supposedly lose aggro because i'm not timing my powers correctly, how is it that aggro "never gets interrupted"? i mean, burnout and unstoppable seem to draw the attention away or explosive block may send adds flying elsewhere possibly attacking another member of the team. but hey, it's just a video game right? it's great how thoroughly informed you are, haha.
  12. feegore New Player

Forget what you said?

I'm done arguing with a wall.
  13. Korlick Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  14. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

first of all, considering all of the spelling errors you make as you try to prove your point to me, that kind of hinders my ability to take you even a least bit serious. so, maybe your'e not exactly typing what you think you are saying. that's what edit is for btw. secondly, you can't justify i don't know how to play my role by using a supposed minor misunderstanding such as burnout or unstoppable temporarily breaking my aggro, despite the fact it seems that way based on how i use them. because if i made it as far as becoming a 100 cr 152 sp tank, that's actually reliable in-game to beat nexus and wave on a regular basis, then clearly i must be doing something right. and no, you didn't hurt anyone's persona because i truly realize that dcuo is just a video game and that there are much more important things in life, such as real priorities. let's say i am supposedly wrong. if so, i'm fine with that because at the end of the day i'm still capable to compete with the best of them; i would not be bothered. and i'll tell you what's worse, the fact that you fail to convey what you're really trying to say and honestly believe that YOU have proven somebody wrong. maybe you're better at proving your point in spoken word. haha, don't get yourself so bent out of shape over this, it's only a game, haha.
  15. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

i didn't forget what i said, did i not say i tried looking at other possibilities for his problem that i don't have? oh, i get it, you're saying i'm wrong in that quote, too? i agree, maybe it's time to move on. bye mr dcuo tank expert.
  16. Moxley Mayhem Dedicated Player

that looks like gamer rage, do you really get that upset over video games? or maybe you're internally frustrated with yourself because you can't put into words what you're really trying to say. maybe you should go outside and take a walk, let off some steam, lol.
  17. blklightning New Player

Here's what you're experiencing with Explosive Block and other breakout/pushback moves: the adds are being moved away from you. This is NOT THE SAME AS AN "AGGRO DROP". They're going to get right up and go straight for you, so long as they're still within the initial taunt.

I've already said that using Unstoppable does not break aggro. It just breaks me out and pushes back crowd controllable NPCs.

You know... this entire conversation would go smoother if you weren't speaking so incorrectly from such a high pedestal. Rather than just accepting the correction from us with the quote from a dev, you're giving us the perfect chance to laugh at you.

Do you need to see Superman's birth certificate to know he's from Krypton?
    • Like x 3
  18. ApexNephilim New Player

Thats actually the specific boss im talking about
    • Like x 1
  19. ApexNephilim New Player

Yea im actually a healer so this is new to me
  20. CCBatson Dedicated Player

Wow, just wow. I only just now found this discussion going on and I can't believe there's this kind of misinformation still being passed around by someone who is T5.

The Tunso quote is accurate, has been posted repeatedly in this forum and referenced in numerous Tanking guides. Dom has nothing, I repeat NOTHING, to do with threat generation and retention- commonly referred to as aggro.

As a fellow Ice Tank, I can advise the OP that some powers were adjusted a few months ago, and new single-target taunt powers were modified for each tanking powerset just recently. For Ice, it's Frost Snipe. I recall that Winter Ward and Shatter Restraints were not suddenly generating threat in certain T5 instances, but there's no word from the Devs if that was intended. Inescapable Storm however seems to always work reliably no matter what, and in my limited testing Frost Snipe will grab threat from a single target consistently.

I suggest you put Moxley on Ignore and check out some more of the updated Ice guides in Oracle's subforum. You'll get better and more reliable information there.
    • Like x 2