What is this smoke in the dive base?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by AyameseSays, Feb 21, 2018.

1. AyameseSays New Player

what is it?
  2. AyameseSays New Player

3. FoolsFire Devoted Player

It's steam.
    And how you feel can make it real.
    Real as anything you see.
  4. JKwak Well-Known Player

launderette downstairs
  5. FoolsFire Devoted Player

^^^ Hey, Hotel Cortez may be old but it's not a dive.
  6. StealthBlue Loyal Player

Is that part of the base, or is it a base item? From the picture it looks like a base item, possibly a sewer grate.
  7. AyameseSays New Player

It's part of the base. Dive theme. The one you get for free?
    This absolutely baffles me. I HAVE to know what it's supposed to be. I'm just that kind of person T^T

Is it breezy? Smelly? Humid? If it is humid, I can't see myself making this my kitchen, bathroom, closet, or lounge space. I need to solve this mystery!
  8. Gimpy Loyal Player

It's the tenant downstairs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

they have a pot grow operation going on and they must continuously test their product for quality tracking to ensure the customers have the best bug free product possible.
    • Like x 2
  9. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

Walter White's been cookin' again.
    • Like x 1
  10. AyameseSays New Player

I'm never getting a straight answer here, am I?
    In any case, whatever I have to put on top of it needs to be pretty big 'cause I'd still see the smoke otherwise.
  11. stärnbock Devoted Player

sewers "smoke" like that because of the decay of human waste wich is producing energy and therefore heat, wich leads to steam.
  12. AyameseSays New Player

Well, I don't really know how to feel about the human waste thing, but a quick google search reveals that this steam is basically what powers thermostats. Big cities like New York (and apparently Metropolis), have this network of steam pipes connecting most of their buildings.

So mystery solved. I actually didn't know about this because my house in the Philippines doesn't have a boiler room, much less a thermostat. If it's hot, open up a window. If it's cold, wear a jacket. I've literally never seen a thermostat before, except in the movies. I've always wondered how they work. Now I do, thanks m8.

At the very least I guess this would be a nice place to incubate my eggs.[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  13. JKwak Well-Known Player

i also didnt know it.
    in Germany we use hot water instead of steam and there is no steam comming out of the ground
    i saw this things on my vocation to Amerika in New York and wondered why there is steam comming out of the sewer :confused:
    • Like x 1
  14. stärnbock Devoted Player

guess we all have learned some
    new things thx to this thread ;)
  15. AyameseSays New Player

16. AyameseSays New Player

Well, to be honest, I still can't fully comprehend everything about this steam thing, especially exactly how boilers and thermostats work, which could be an entirely separate thing for all I know. I got most of my information from this site:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ow_new_york_city_streets_our_latest_what.html

I just saw "heat" and "cool" buildings and I sort of ...drew my own conclusions. Yeeeaahh...
    Any help clarifying, uhm, everything, really, would be great. 'Cause I'm super fascinated by this right now.
  17. Gimpy Loyal Player

While I really would like to stick with my 1st reply.................................

that site you posted explains it well.

This is how a Steam Boiler for heating buildings works >> https://www.homeadvisor.com/r/steam-and-boiler-heating-systems/

there are a few types of thermostats but they all function by detecting "heat" and here is a video to help you understand how they actually work

Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm going back to check on my product so it's as bug free as possible.
  18. AyameseSays New Player

You, sir, are dope. Speaking of dope, I agree that that would've been the less complicated answer. Lots of seedy things happening in this apartment. There's a supervillain on one floor and pot dealers in the pad below it.