Weapon Myths: A comparison of all weapons in DCUO

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by shiny mackerel, Mar 6, 2013.

1. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

Yeah, I did a test with bow, pistols and rifle back then. Rifle>Bow>Pistols as far as distance
  2. Remander Steadfast Player

I know this is an older post, but in addition to what Pew said, Power Discharge is also a point blank attack. I've recently gone back to HB, and I forgot how short the range of PD was. I'd say it's less than 6 ft. Kind of ridiculous, actually.
  3. 13igtyme Devoted Player

HB solar flare can hit the tyrant across the room. You can test this to attack the sparring target from very far off and even if the circle is white and at its furthest, SF still hits them for full damage.
    • Like x 1
  4. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

Lol i forgot to add HB in that heheh nice catch
  5. shiny mackerel Committed Player

Updated the guide and rewrote mostly everything. Some things I did:

- Thoroughly retested all damage values. Some values were wrong and most were off by a bit from the low number of samples. But now I can guarantee great accuracy/precision of all damage numbers.

- Retimed some combos. But it's still much better to use my damage values and then time combos/rotations yourself.

- Changed DPS to straight up damage over time. The old way I presented DPS just didn't make sense. Also removed clipped hits/sec because clipping resets the hit counter anyways...

- Added more info on moves like control effects, target cap, splitting, so I had to split up the tables. One set of tables describes individual moves and the other set describes combos.

- Calculated total damage and DPS of combos on multiple targets which factors in damage splitting. This is probably the biggest change. Before it was impossible to tell how a combo would do on more than one target. Maybe some AoE moves are really no better than a single target move. Now you can see how weapon taps, single target moves in the combo, and splitting affect multi-target performance.

- Added all of the shield combos. The 3-7 tap holds all have reduced damage when combo'd from a previous hold. Generally the damage for the hold is lowered by 50-70% which is a pretty steep penalty. In almost all cases, you're better off sticking with the regular tap hold combos for DPS.

- Added Primal Wolf for Kroye

- Updated everything for the GU33 changes to charged moves. There are a pair of tables for the old moves which I'll keep here for a while.

- Added some info on damage with no weapon equipped.

- Added info on how counter damage works.
    • Like x 5
  6. Gokaigerbay New Player

Seems pistols should get buffed, shortest range of the ranged weapons, yet lowest damage. The closer range it needs to be, the more it should damage like a true melee weapon to balance the risk.

Also, the full jump back, leap forward, magmum shot does so little damage as a finisher comparing the time it takes to do it to the other ranged weapons bread/butter combo, like the bow flurry.
  7. Gokaigerbay New Player

Also, it be nice if you included charge times for the attacks.
    Like dual wield charged double throw is like 4.50~ but its a lot longer to do it full than say brawler stomp which is around 2.20, but you can do it quick.
  8. shiny mackerel Committed Player

Yup, it's pretty easy to tell which weapons need the most help damage-wise from all the yellow and red alone.
    For charge times, you can just take the clipped time which is pretty much the same thing.
  9. 13igtyme Devoted Player

Nice changes. I'm looking at this right now to help decide which weapon I'll use as a celestial healer. HB, Rifle, Shield, or MA. It's just sorting out the pros and cons that's hard.
  10. Zur-En-Arrh28 New Player

Would it be possible to re-port your Spreadsheet. Maybe without the use of DropBox in Google Docs or downloadable format?
    It would be really helpful to be able to sort by column and search.

Currently that links gives an error (even when I'm logged into Google Docs already):

We're sorry.
    You have logged out of your Google Account. Your updates cannot be processed until you log in.

Find out more at the Google Docs Help Center.
  11. shiny mackerel Committed Player

oops, the text was right but the actual link was to somewhere else. It should work now
    • Like x 1
  12. Sore Steadfast Player

I've decided to clean some fluff from my signature. This thread definitely earns a permanent slot. I was a little hesitant when the original numbers were (slightly) incomplete. I cannot emphasize enough how valuable this thread is. There should be an in-game parade in honor of Shiny!
    • Like x 2
  13. DarkFenix Active Player

amazing work shiny , I hope everyone appreciates the effort and time it took u to retest everything , I sure do 1000 likes if i could
  14. Zur-En-Arrh28 New Player

It's a beautiful thing. Works great. Thank you!

-Zurr
  15. Sore Steadfast Player

When you give the numbers for a 3 tap then hold. Are you just giving the numbers for the hold? Or is that adding up the numbers for the whole sequence?
  16. shiny mackerel Committed Player

The 'by move' tables are for single moves only so it would only be for the hold there. The 'by combo' tables would have the entire 3 taps and hold combo added up.
    • Like x 2
  17. Sore Steadfast Player

Thanks for clarifying. It should have been obvious to me. It just took a few iterations of reading the numbers and recreating the calculations in my own side-excel sheet that I was able to really parse through your findings and know what you meant. You really did present everything we could want to know in just about the only format that could effectively convey information.
    • Like x 1
  18. shiny mackerel Committed Player

Thanks, I'm glad it works : D
  19. Ice Lantern New Player

Wow, 9.8 from DW throw clipped and with 3 enemies. Yeah, that sure seems balanced.
    • Like x 2
  20. Sore Steadfast Player

I downloaded Shinys spreadsheet and compiling my version of weapon balance. I'm working on Staff now.