Ways to encourage end game players to run stat clamped

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Proxystar, Feb 19, 2016.

1. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

easy dont do it.
    • Like x 1
  2. ErnieB Loyal Player

That'a enough for me, i don't mind queueing for a clamped instances, as long as I always have the option to make my T7 gear and CR matter.
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

No to that part, sorry but it's those types of feats the devs specifically cite, when it comes to "some people" not getting them specifically until they're over-geared. I don't support that at all, sorry
    • Like x 1
  4. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

Someone slap together a Visual UI for Grouping. Sort of like....
    [IMG]
    or this
    [IMG] If it were adapted for DCUO purposes.... along side the LFG chat and other chats, a visual LFG will allow a user to see a group forming; mouse over group member icons and see CR ***; decide if they want to join that group or a different group forming.

Stat clamping??? what is this GW2??
  5. seek76 Committed Player

This dude is on the right track. If you incentivize running stat clamped, it becomes not optional. Much like wm was suppose to be optional until it wasn't kinda of thing. I don't have any ideas on how to get people to run stat clamped, hence why I have stayed out of the discussion until this point. The people who want this are just going to have to be happy running for the challenge and running to help new people learn. Rewards of any kind make it not optional, if those rewards help progress your character in any way.
  6. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I disagree. I think it depends what the incentive is.

If it's a piece of the absolute best gear, then fair enough, that's wrong, I can't argue against that. But if it's something like XP (pending the revival of XP based levelling) or scraps, I don't think it's wrong.

I for one would welcome new methods of progression, because the current methods of progression are horrible.
    • Like x 1
  7. seek76 Committed Player

Running old content for scraps means you will be able to build that piece of gear faster than a person sticking to just relevant content. Why?, more content to run for it. Which would lead us back to it becoming mandatory because it is faster to build gear that way. The amount of scraps per instance would have to be small enough to ensure no advantage to those running stat clamped vs those running just relevant content. If that was the case then sure scraps would be a good option.

As far as the xp leveling thing, I'm on a wait and see approach until something else is announced about their intentions there.
  8. Ravenorn Level 30

first off...."high end players" ...that made me laugh...TY...and no....that deemed your "idea" ridiculous....
  9. L T Devoted Player

Honestly, no. Does it have to be like Kindergarten Graduation where everybody wins at everything?
    I guess we just disagree then.

Elite Raids should be-- you know-- elite. They should be hard. Challenging. If there is any content in the game that should be stat clamped, it is Elite content. For the casual player, isn't it OK that they never beat an elite raid? I mean, they can always just play the regular version to get a (for them) more enjoyable experience.
    • Like x 1
  10. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

Then you get into the issues of elite gear in your stat clamped raids .

1.Is the gear going to be fixed in a way that the cr and stats of the armor will scale to your unclamped stats ?

2.If that's the case I can see people picking the "easiest " clamped elite raid and alert and just running the first boss and getting a full set of elite gear very easily.

3.If the armor doesn't scale then the whole stat clamping elite raids and alerts is pointless there's no reason to run them sure you could add a ton of elite feats but feats and sp don't carry the importance they did in the past.
  11. Senko Committed Player

Actually its not just kindargarden these day's which causes problems when people graduate to work. Now as to your comment I was objecting to it because I was trying to keep this topic in terms of the OP's desire i.e. any clamping has to be optional. As soon as you start introducing restrictions like that its not optional. Whether its a matter of everyone winning at everything is beside that point. If you can only get something by running the clamped content its not optional because you have to either run it or miss out.

Now speaking personally this is from the nature of your posts is an area we'd disagree on if we put that restriction aside. You seem to take the view content should be run at CRX-Y only whereas to me coming back to elite feats with better gear is like training. To use prison break elite as an example. I'm not good enough right now to get the feats for it, I struggle to beat it much less do so in a group where no one dies so in terms of a race I run and come in last because I'm not fit enough. I go away, train (get better gear) and then come back to try again with my new fitter physique. Introducing clamping to me is having the referee's say "Oh you trained for this race that's not allowed, sit down and eat this Bavrian Cream Pie, these donuts, this soft drink . . ." until I'm once again at the proper level of fitness. There's also the fact that this isn't really something you should be thinking in terms of "I won the game" the point is to have fun and for a lot of players coming back to old content and beating it easily or getting its associated feats gives us a real thrill of satisfaction. Wheras if you force us to try and beat it at "CR X" we're not going to succeed we're going to give up in rage and frustration because we are middle aged and don't have the twitch reflexes of a 5 year old squirrel on a sugar high or we're using an older system that doesn't always show the AOE's or we have poor eyesight. Coming back with better gear allows us to overcome a lot of drawbacks and have fun playing the game, introduce clamping and you take that away.

As for elite content I actually agree it should be hard/challenging now but in a year or two when we have grown far stronger it goes from a challenge to a piece of fun to see how far we've come. Not to mention that from my own personal perspective challenge is not "Throw another OHKO on the pile and give the boss an extra half million HP for them to whittle away." Challenge is mechanics where you need to activate environment components, have an enemy that can only be hurt by a specific role, need to split the party up to take out two sub-bosses at the same time or need to figure out an actual puzzle. All things used in previous content here as opposed to our current "elite" content which is basically more HP, more defense, more OHKO's. That's not really my idea of something which should have exclusive bragging rights. Since right now you can have Tim the most skilled player in the game struggling to beat the content because he refuses to change from his favorite super power even though its incredibly poor in terms of damge wheras you have the league of losers who are barely average in terms of skill but are all chasing the flavour of the month for the best dps/heal/tank/troll cookie cutter power so their group's burn is always inasanely high but their personal skill is pretty poor because they're all chasing that top dps spot and tend to stand in aoe's and the like. As a league they got their elite didn't die feat but Tim didn't because he was kicked for poor dps in most groups and the ones that didn't always had someone else die. Tim may only come 2nd or 3rd in dps but he never dies because he has the skills. Now if only he could find a league that wouldn't insist he change from hard light to atomic or whatever the current FOTM is.
  12. L T Devoted Player

Yeah those "Nobody Dies" feats are kind of ridiculous. Personally I'm ok with never getting them. Or with them just going away along with the kill 5000 reapers or kill raven 14 times feats.
    Fair enough. But the counter argument I'd make is that if you're 22 years old and have trained for the Olympics, then maybe you don't belong at the high school track meet. You're certainly not going to achieve anything there.
    That's true enough. I guess its my competitive nature coming out. On the other hand, I find that the normal versions most content to be pretty fun.

Anyway I don't want to hijack or derail the thread. The original question was how to encourage players to run stat-clamped instances. My suggestions were to make skill points the incentive, and to start with a narrow slice of the available content (elite content). Apparently not a lot of folks in this thread agree with either notion, so it's probably best to just move on.
  13. ErnieB Loyal Player

I've always believed that all content should be relevant, both rewarding and damage wise, tho I also believe if we're going to worry about gear and CR, that at one point lower content should be easier. Forcing a clamped system doesn't work, just look at not only how every event, almost 2 years after they got clamped, still have the same bugs, mainly either super health pool bosses, or super strong.

Crafting for elite gear will never be an option, think about it what's the point of elite events, if you can craft it's gear anyway, and elite gear is pretty much a style piece in the end. However I've suggested a crafing system to allow us to get vendor gear and via crafting level it to raid level gear, while still keeping the already raid level gear as RNG drops. This system would work by combining R&D vendor mats, NO SCRAPS, instead upgrade materials you would find in content. Some in solos, some in duos, some in alerts, and some in raids, each type of content would have it's own material. Depending on what piece you want is the content you run, however to give it balance, the drop is guaranteed, but it wont drop on the relevant content, it will be a weekly drop that must be reseted to get it again in the week. This system wouldn't take you 6 weeks for one piece like the current one does, in fact since you can craft everything say you want 2 rings and a neck piece, in 2 weeks worth of runs you can have all you need if you run all the content that has it's material. or say 1 Leg piece, that would take 3 weeks, and as I said to make it faster and better each type of content will have it's own materials, so in 5 weeks you could have the 2 rings, 1 neck piece and Leg piece.

Now here's the catch, since this is about clamping, the materials for crafting would only drop on clamped versions of content, so every player will have to work just as much for an RNG drop, as he does for a regular drop, and the system would only drop materials for players that are clamped, that way relevant players wouldn't get mats before their time. To me that is a good compromise and would introduce a better crafting system than what we have now. But anyway that's just me.