Unlocking a style collected on a deleted character

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Rigby, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Rigby Active Player

If I collect a style on a character and then delete that character before I've unlocked the style on any other toons, can I still unlock that style (assuming it is a style that has been made available for unlocking) on any current or future newly created characters?

My specific circumstance is that I have an aura that I have never collected on any characters and I have an idea of a toon I'd like to create specifically for that aura. Let's say I create the character and collect the aura. Now suppose I'm not happy with the toon and I want to delete it. I plan on eventually unlocking the aura on other characters but am not ready to just yet. Can I go ahead and delete the character and still have the aura style available for future unlocking?

I have seen a similar question asked but I never saw an answer from a green name. Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

The short answer is probably no. If the character's still recoverable, you could undelete them, launch the game with that character, then switch characters, and then unlock the style. But if it's too late to recover them, you'll have to obtain that style another way, if it's one that can still be obtained.
  3. StealthBlue Loyal Player

from the sound of things, you haven't yet created the character that you "may" delete. That means you should be fine. just like with feat sharing, the list of items available to you for unlock initially populated when you first logged into each character after the GU went live. As you earn new feats/styles the list updates at that time. With feat unlocking, feats were said to remain unlockable after a character was deleted as long as you had logged into that character after feat unlocking went live. The same should be true for style unlocking, though it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the far of the dev discussion thread. You can look through the responses in the thread below to see if that specific question was asked.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/development-update-style-unlocking.295838/
  4. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

Why not just give the aura to a character you know you won't be deleting and when you create that new character, unlock the aura on the character? That way if you ever delete that new toon, you will still have the aura available.
    • Like x 1
  5. Rigby Active Player

You are correct I haven't created the character yet. My rationale is the same as yours and I assume that I can do it, but I am hesitant to take the chance bc the aura will be expensive to replace if I'm wrong. If I can figure out a relatively easy to obtain style that I know is available for unlocking that I haven't already collected, I may just test it out.

Thanks for the info.
  6. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The answer is yes you can collect styles from a deleted characters. I know because I have hero & villain vendor styles that I can unlock from characters that I deleted a couple years ago. Those vendor styles were only on the characters I deleted.
    • Like x 1
  7. Rigby Active Player

I have considered doing this but I'd rather collect it on my new toon for a couple reasons, the main being that it costs 350 RB to unlock so if I end up not liking that new character I will have wasted all those replays.

But yes, I would do it the way you mentioned if I had to. Most likely though I will just go ahead and create my new character and collect the aura, and if I never figure out for sure if I can safely delete it I will just keep the toon on the roster.
  8. Rigby Active Player

Terrific news, thanks!
    • Like x 1
  9. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

Alright, I have never deleted a toon so I can't say for sure, but hopefully what Knarlydude said is true then. :D
  10. Balton hero Committed Player

Are you sure about this? I'm fairly certain you have to login to the character with the style in order for it to be unlocked on others.
    • Like x 1
  11. Dene Devoted Player

I remember these as instriuctions too - because people were freaking out about missing styles. not realising they had to log in to the character with said style
  12. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I know I have styles unlocked from characters that I deleted. The styles are from HD & WT vendors. Those deleted toons are the only ones that had these styles. Could be a bug. Who knows.
  13. Dene Devoted Player

If you saw it you saw it :)

Maybe the Vendors are default LOL