Undoing stat flattening: what would it mean for tanks?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Black Jaq, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Black Jaq Devoted Player

true that CR differentials didn't affect much for troll and heals since it deals with damage in and damage out. CR differential standardized the damage a tank would receive and their buffs etc would be the way each tank coped with damage. Remove that and there are only coping mechanisms and disparages in how strong attacks should be. It's like the days of Nexus when an Ice tank could go into Ice Elemental, pop Reflection and potentially survive an inevitability attack.
  2. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I know remander had done some work on that way back when but I could never wrap me head around all that to begin with.
  3. Lights Derp Loyal Player

SM:FOS was the last SM before CR differential was implemented. If I remember right the groups that beat Rd20 used 3 fire tanks.

I know we used 1 fire tank for our run and they did well.

I don't think it'll be a big issue, fire has always been amazing in the right hands and it will continue to be.
  4. TestReporter Loyal Player

Earth and fire were good before GU47, but earth had the brick bug and fire wasn't known as a good tank till people beat r20 of SM with it, the only tank power that can have problems is atomic, but i don't think it'll have any.
    This will be one of the best updates for tanking, even more for SM tanking.
  5. Pults Loyal Player

I've seen more than few still blocking the entire time w/o the aura active.
  6. SSeid Committed Player

This couldn't be more wrong. GU 47 did nothing but hurt tanks. It was already enough that we had and still have to worry about random 1-shots with GU 47 we got an arbitrary cap as to what we can tank and how much we can survive. It does not matter if you can survive because you are good.. you get 1-shoted because you have one less CR.

The only good thing about this change would be that tank will no longer be bounded by arbitrary limits.

On the other hand there is no mention about tanks in what Mepps posted so it is entirely possible that they will not do anything for them..
    ( for the people with the audacity to question the previous phrase :D )
    Just as their original plan for WM did not include support roles .
    And just as Mepps keeps saying in that thread that SP and Mods are irrelevant to this change.. when we "all" know that an one sided change will only bring harm to the game.
    • Like x 1
  7. Derio 15000 Post Club

this x1000

GU47 hurt tanks in more ways than 1. First it scaled how much damage you take not based off stats but based off pure CR alone. And in that case for the latest content you were always at a disadvantage. Especially for fire tanks and atomic tanks.

GU47 made rage tanks very bad when it came to 1v1 scenarios due to the CR differential.

This change would help tanks overall. And encourage players to pick up tanking again for those who quit. Considering people used and abused CR scaling to boot tanks out of normal and elite versions of alerts. This will help get tanks back in those types of content for at least the latest content.
    • Like x 1
  8. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

While you are correct that combat rating differential did affect tanks if they were below a certain combat rating, you are incorrect that GU47 did nothing but hurt tanks. Blocking became more effective in part due to the armor penetration being removed and in part because the block mechanic itself was changed in GU47.

• Like x 1
  9. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Not only for tanks but all the balancing they have done to date.

With stats now mattering we need to clearly understand how stats will impact each role with this update.

For example, healers only really need 10K resto to heal all content. With stats mattering again, will 17K in resto now really improve my heals?

I'm just wonder how they will adjust all tiers stats now.

I'm seriously not looking forward to this update. When they did GU47 the should of just focused on Marks and Relevancy of content and not do CR differential. Than they could have done a linear adjustment to stats and than go from there. GU47 was too many changes at once, it is why so many players abandoned the game.
    • Like x 2
  10. thedemonocus Loyal Player

it seems like every 6 months or so we have to forget everything we know about the game and play a whole new way and learn a whole new system ,i wish the devs would just commit to something and stop with the drastic changes,i just start to master 1 way of playing then they change everything and i feel like i'm playing a different game

just pick something and stick with it
    • Like x 1
  11. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

CR differential is merely a damage modifier. It takes whatever calculated damage is, then applies a multiplier to it depending on what your CR is compared to your enemies.

Mepps said last night that the changes made back then would stay, just the damage modifier aspect will be going. So in other words, you won't see inflated damage on low CR NPCs and you won't see inflated damage from hight CR NPCs either.

If your attacks are hitting for like 20k to Episode 21 NPCs, then they'll hit 20k (or slightly more) to Episode 7 NPCs. But naturally because Episode 7 NPCs are older and weaker, their stats will be lower, too. Enabling you to survive their attacks and kill them efficiently.

One thing I would say though is you should expect the difficulty to increase. You most likely won't be able to kill NPCs of the former episodes as quickly as you can now, because the damage/defence gains from CR differential will probably be higher than the gains from stats.
    • Like x 1
  12. SSeid Committed Player

You are right but not entirely. Think of it from this angle:

They had to do what you posted because they made tanks extremely weak. Before GU47 tanks did not need this to survive, even Fire tanks which have always been considered ( wrongfully ) weak they did not need this rather impressive boost to function properly. But after the update even Ice tanks needed it.

I don't know about you but I liked it a lot more when I truly had to make everything in my power to survive, contrary to now that the options are 1-shot, block, hide. But this is my personal take on tanking. I have been doing it for so long and I can say that I liked it more before it was simplified.
  13. iLoveDCUO Well-Known Player

Not true, depended on the player. SP never made the tank. Gear always provided more stats than SP. And I always spec'd hybrid. I've never spec'd for my role as a tank. And I haven't had any difficulty completing content in any DLC or getting any of the OP no dying feats.