Trying to understand differences in DPS

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by gtramontelli, May 17, 2013.

1. gtramontelli New Player

Hi,
    Forgive me if this is a basic question, but my searches (on this site and on google) have not given me the answer to my question. I played DCUO at launch for about 2 months and recently returned about 4 months ago and have been playing very consistently. I was initially an electric dps, but our league had too many of those so I switched to gadgets. My CR is 90 at the moment, with 109sp. My league is very active and in our raids I am typically in the first or 2nd place in DPS.
    Last night I got a chance to run with a HL DPS and he almost doubled my damage output. I'm trying to understand how this happened. My rotation looks a little like this:

Cryofield clipped with intimidate, spin chop combo, clip feargas, jump clip gauss, napalm. I also use the suppression turret. (stopped using dervish after nerf).

My gear is might heavy, I think I have like 2200 unbuffed.

Is there something I need to do different, or is this something about my power set? If it's possible to nearly double my output, I'd like to try it.
    Thanks
  2. Foxe Well-Known Player

If you recently switched, you may not have your rotation nailed as well as they had theirs. There are a lot of factors that go into it so one raid isn't enough to start getting hung up about.

I can't talk for your rotation, I'm not a gadget DPS, I'm HL but if they've played HL a lot longer than you have gadgets, they may simply just be faster and more flowing with their rotation, yours will come more and more with time and practice.
  3. gtramontelli New Player

So, all things being equal, gadgets and HL have the same potential?
  4. The M New Player

Simple: He must have more skill pts, hence more damage innates. Not to mention he might be more skilled.
  5. gtramontelli New Player

If it's a matter of my skill, I'm actually happy with that answer (I can always practice more). I was really just trying to determine if it was something about the HL powerset that made it so strong. I've played with lots of other DPS that are very skilled: fire, elec, you name it. I get beaten on the scoreboard often enough, but I'm usually at least in the running. There have been two times when I've been blown out like this, and both times were with HL.
  6. Itazuki New Player

Gadgets is one of the few powers that can keep up with Light or even beat out Light. I'd say practice more on your rotations! I'm not sure on good Gadgets loadouts or I'd help.
  7. Mad9 New Player

It is quite possible that your league does not have very good DPSs. Ordinarily, you should never be in the second place with gadgets.
    It is also possible that the Hard Light DPS you came across was skilled and knew how to play his role better.
    I run with some of the finest Gadgets DPS and other than specific instances like GOT, OP1, etc., the gadgets DPS in my league tend to beat my score (though not by much) most of the times.

The point is HL has certain advantages against gadgets in some instances and they will very likely be on top but gadgets is never too far behind. The most difference I have observed in any instance is around 100,000 damage. That being said, gadgets will come on top in most cases and the difference between equally geared and skilled gadgets and HL dps will be in the same bracket of 100,000 damage and not more.

P.S. Gadgets DPS in my league has around 2600+ might with 5 pieces of T5 gear (some unmodded) and has 160 SP.
  8. TheRealDeathern New Player

I wouldnt stress it. HL is pretty dope if you find someone that knows what they are doing, it sounds like you ran accross a good one. Let it go. There is always someone better out there, it happens.
  9. gtramontelli New Player

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely not losing any sleep over it, but the difference was so vast it made me think that I'm doing something wrong. I checked out some youtube videos and I see where I was wasting time or otherwise being inefficient. I'll keep trying.
  10. Eminence Dedicated Player

Rotation, placement and stats can all be the factor. Spin chop requires a good placement and rotation to be successful.
  11. Foxe Well-Known Player

Not saying this is the case but potentially, like someone else said, the DPS you run with more regularly aren't that great and so you fell into a safety bubble with how you were doing.

It's quite a shock when you generally do well in DPS and get hammered. I haven't been out scored in a seriously long time except twice - once I was 100+k ahead but died at Tala because someone set them off early and missed the entire last fight. The second was to another HL DPS who beat me by 60K in prime, though I spent the first part if the fight staying range die to not knowing the group before realizing that they were very good so diced in and pulled it back a bit.

There was a third time but I don't count it, was in gates, DCd and missed almost whole first room, DCd after jumping in the first room, came back and had to wait out the spawned and boss, I think I finished 20k behind.

I'm not saying I'm 'beast' I am completely aware that there will be far better DPS than me and I look forward to seeing someone smash my damage so I know for a fact I have improving to do. As it is, I don't have any reason to be thinking I really need to pull my finger out it do things differently.
  12. gtramontelli New Player

I think you're right, foxe. I found this guide, and just from watching it I can see that the clipping and movement are much smoother and faster than what I do. I plan to beat up some dummies today, so that I look more like this.