Tips on using Rifle?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Drift Hazard, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's using the Rifle. Yet here I am trying to figure out how it works. I know about Lunge and Grenade spamming but I want a bit more variety than that so any tips from rifle users would be appreciated.

That is of course, assuming you're not just grenade and mortar spamming your way to victory.
  2. Sore Steadfast Player

That's about it...

Grenade Spamming: Grenade=>Power->Grenade=>Power->Grenade=>Power->Grenade=>Power
    Rolling: Surprise Volley forward->Flip Burst backward->Surprise Volley forward->Flip Burst backward
    Mortar Spamming: Mortar->Mortar->Mortar->Mortar

That last melee combo is WAY too weak to be worth using.
    • Like x 1
  3. Pew New Player

Im on the melee bandwagon atm but used rifle for the most parts in dc.
    I never was a fan of the grenade, for it to be good you need one hell of powerspam and that used to not be possible at the time. For ranged AoEing into mobs i always loved mortars->power cancel. You need to time the cancel right and it only saves a little bit of time, but is a good combo rivalling melee in dps. Lunge/clip->backflip/clip->repeat is one of the best and most fun single target moves i know and allows seemless continuation when on lower power to go into combo mode. Rifle is a lot about nicely timed clipping. It's not as obvious as the melee hold clips and shaves of less time, but still allows for some nice enhancements in damage. It's great for weapon based procs due to the fast hits.
    • Like x 2
  4. Sore Steadfast Player

I never got much use out of Flamethrower or Rifle Slam. If there's an overlooked gem in there, it's probably Overhead Smash (TapHoldMelee).
    • Like x 2
  5. Pew New Player

OverHead Smash is a great melee attack. It only suffers from being so short and not all powersets have the luxury of so many clip powers.
    • Like x 1
  6. Sytenia Committed Player

Overhead Smash does work well also because it's so fast, you can be tapping melee on someone and whenever you want hold it to do that smash which makes for great counters sometimes.
    The ranged lunge is the most fun though, it's pretty nice to be able to interrupt something at range without going there.
    • Like x 2
  7. REEEPR New Player

If you jump cancel your forward rolls and backflips, you pop up in the air and can stay very moble. Rifle is great once you learn it's secrets. Want a big burst of ranged damage while closing the gap? Mortars into forward roll makes both attacks hit at the exact same time. Clip your forward roll with jump and you are mobile, moving forward, beginning your nect attack.
    • Like x 3
  8. La Chupacabra New Player

Well I mean, as much as I do think the rifle should get a lil more utility (I think overhead smash should scale with how deep you go into the rifles combo like the dw spinny thing, if it doesn't... I can't believe I'm not sure it does /facepalm oh well), the reason one would pick up the rifle over other weapons is because it's ranged, and what's the only clippable thing it's got at range? Grenade. Now, why the bow got some of the coolest melee combos is a mystery to me. But I will say that in pvp, the very threat of the grenade allows some lovely mind games if you've got a power that's blockable or a double stun.
    • Like x 1
  9. ARI ATARI New Player

you should look like an acrobat rolling forward and back and launching the occasional grenade, do that and you'll be fine.

if anything gets close to you, switch from triangles to squares.
    • Like x 2
  10. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I can enjoy using Rifle now. Works well with my Arctic Gust challenge too. Now all I need is to refine my rifling skills and I'm all set.
  11. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Protip - the grenade only splits damage after hitting five targets, so it's incredibly powerful and should be the 'go to' move when using the rifle as a ranged weapon. Due to the grenade's fast fire rate, it's clip effectiveness is limited and is typically a better option to use a large damage modifier power and then hold a grenade spam combo for as long as is sensible. If you're sorcery though (sorc main here), you definitely want to keep pumping weapon of destiny to combine magic shells with the standard precision damage, it's very nice, though can't be spammed too often as WoD does have a long cooldown. (six grenades in between casting)

Now that it took the devs over a year to fix the broken mortar animation it may be a viable spam spam spam move, have yet to test it.

For melee, overhead smash is an often overlooked ability. It's very useful. While it should have a home-in style lunge ability to cover long distance (none of the rifle moves have this), if you're already at close range it is strong enough and is clip friendly.

Overall the rifle is a very wonky weapon. The design of rifle combat is more melee based than people expect, let alone want, from a 'rifle'. It was bad enough to turn my brother away from the game after he shelled out 65 bucks for the disc and played for a few hours (SP gain, combo gain, horror, walked away).

The rolling animations aren't really what people want to see when they use a 'rifle' and people don't typically experiment much with it as a result, where some other weapons more true to form make more sense. In the case of the rifle though, wonky ha-durrr combat animations aside, it's a very effective any-range weapon. Flame thrower is crap, so don't waste the point unless you need the might bonus. The core damage at close range will come from either grenade spamming, or using overhead smash clipped with other powers, usually AOEs like karmic backlash or clever use of movement mode powers, which have been made more effective by the mainframe tac mods. I use overhead followed by 2 swoops very often now and it's decent damage (think 200, 200, 200 in about 3.5 seconds).

Due to the animation design of the square attacks, the bullet firing animation can blend into the grenade fire animation, so square, square, triangle is faster than you think, as is square, square, square, square, triangle. (Any time you fire a bullet that same animation is used for grenade fire and the anim cycle time is almost twice as fast). Add a clip to that, preferably an AOE and you can hang in there with the brawler and MA users (sans those weapons crit mag bonuses).

Movement mode powers are often overlooked as is, but you can get pretty creative with them and a number of weapons. I won't use MA without using swoop, same with the rifle. Swoop (or its speedster/acro equivalents) become your distance closing attack. Given how control heavy the rifle's somersaults are (popup/knockback rotation), adding swoop/etc as a follow up works well. With the tac mod you can smack twice. Using low pressure can be followed up with a rifle grenade when the enemies are pulled in, or with overhead+aoe power.

It's most useful ability though is going to be the grenade itself though. It may be an intentional design that the damage splits only after hitting five targets (it's a freaking grenade, afterall), but if it's an oversight and it gets nerfed then it's not going to be as useful in AOE damage as arrow storm or even full auto (yeah, full auto).
    • Like x 1
  12. NoobishGuy New Player

im fire dps would u recommend spamming grenade or mortars? i am used to spamming arrow storm on bow so i immediately went to spamming mortar but now im curious if grenade is more effective!
  13. Dump Truck New Player

The best damage is done when using triangle forward and backward and jump cancelling it each time. You'll look silly but it works well. It can be annoying if you spec for flame thrower though - I usually skip that one.

OR

Granade/Mortar and power cancel (repeat) grendade->power->grenade->power
    For the fire player above- Grenade ->Inferno ->fiery wpn -> grenade -> Spontanious Combust -> grenade ->detonate/backdraft. When I go rifle, once my dots are active I'll do the forward triangle to get close, cast whirling dervish, cancel it with backdraft or enflame, and then go back to the beginning of the loadout.
    It's not max dps but you'll get decent results with this when forced to go range.
    • Like x 2
  14. NoobishGuy New Player

I found a 103dps bow but i found myself going back to the 90dps rifle. It deals higher damage and i really like the grenade and rolling.
  15. Remander Steadfast Player

This is my favorite combo. I'm back to rifle from DP on my troller, because I feel the damage is better for the T4 solo content I'm grinding now.
  16. NoobishGuy New Player

Do I jump after doing a forward and backward roll or do I jump after forward and jump after backward? I have been doing the latter. Any specific moment I press jump? I'm just not sure if I'm doing it right. Still rocking it though
  17. thoughtpatern New Player

What I found is if you are in a situation where lag isnt a big problem(good luck with that) when you do the forwards backwards hold triangle except the flamethrower, watch the progress bar in th lower mid section of the screen. As far as I can tell, when it is half way through, it can b clipped for full damage. Th same applies for the lunge for rifle. An mortar too.

Sometimes If you can hear it I can wait until I hear the gun firing an this helps helps know when to clip it.

Th advantage of mortar vs th grenade is. Th mortar hits like three times, which is good for power regen.

The thing I hav troubles with is at time I'll be doing a mortar storm and for some reason my toon will do a forward roll instead. Aggravating
  18. NoobishGuy New Player

Can't do that with fire lol
  19. NoobishGuy New Player

This is me in the video, am I doing the "forward backward" thing right? I didn't do it much but I did do it, but is this what is meant by forward jump backward jump?

ps: sorry for the music, only I did it is cause I didn't want the original audio where you can hear my mum watching tv.