Time for a new city?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DaiKaiJu, Jan 6, 2014.

1. DaiKaiJu New Player

I wonder how the players other than me and the few people I have seen feel about the lack of cities to explore.
    We got Central City in Lightning strikes, although it was a bit small.
    I wonder why we aren't getting Coast City. I know we got Wasteland Gotham in SoT but thats not a great excuse/reason for why we are being deprived of DC cities.

What do you all think/know?

Quote from DC needs a hard expansion by Fanatic
    • Like x 4
  2. RoySkilletz New Player

I honestly thought that when I bought the Lightning Strikes DLC, I would get more of Central City and when I saw how small it was..I was highly disappointed. In my head I'm thinking.. "This is all that we can explore for Central City?..I want my money back." As for Coast City..IDK.. I think I would need to hear more POV's from other people about Coast City to actually have something to say.
    • Like x 1
  3. Derio 15000 Post Club

There are so many. There could be a cleaned up version of Bludhaven after the alert of course. Expansion of central city after the paradox event. Coast city could be expanded and possibly be in war of the light part 2 or 3. City of Atlantis introduced to bring water powers. so many possible cities.
    • Like x 2
  4. bull425 Well-Known Player

Year 3 of the game, something like this needs to happen. A new "zone" or city or whatever needs to happen. It's the progression of things.
    • Like x 2
  5. Drakonicus New Player

Sorry, but we are not getting a new city. how long do u think took then to build gotham and metro ? and how often do you go there, for any reason ? This is mostly a instance based game. I would be more happy if they add more things to do on, the ones we already have. on 3 years, after the dlcs they already said we will be getting, maybe.
    Oh. And we dont have more cars or blimps on gotham because the ps3 cant handle that. A new city ? now ? Like i said, 3 years, after most people upgrade for the ps4
    • Like x 1
  6. Ghostof91 New Player

City after Origin crisis would"ve been interestin, Im guessing there are memory issues with Ps3 which may be the reason why we only have Gotham/Metropolis.

Though I would really enjoy having another city as big as the two.

Maybe if they give Ps4 players better features, us Ps3 users will have no choice to upgrade, I won't like it but it seems like the solution to our problems wanting another city.

I had no idea yet Ps3's memory seem so large but small at the same time.:confused:
  7. DaiKaiJu New Player

I never said it has to be now. I said do we as players believe the game is overdue for one.
    I guess With the call for Coast city, it may seem that I'm calling for it now, but what I'm saying is hat Coast City is related to Hal Jordan who is a Green lantern, which is related to the War of Light arc, plus we have an alert in Coast City, so we deserve a new city somewhere down the line.

You say we won't get a city due to it messing up the line up and schedule of future DLC's, but we are getting a new zone for Metro, so I believe it is possible, but at no point do I want the work for new future cities to put current work on hold.
  8. Azria Active Player

I too like new city to explore, as long as its well made with a lot of things to do.. but if its going to be like another Central City, I'll pass.

New city would be nice.. Coast city, Atlantis.. But first they need to add more to do things in the 3 present city we already have.. Like more open world side quest mission for level 30 to earn marks, or having a lair in Central city would be nice as they expand the city.. = )
    • Like x 1
  9. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Neither the PS3 nor the PS4 nor the PC client does load all cities and maps etc at the same time into the memory (RAM). That is why there are load screens. So it#s not memory issues, and at least on my PS3 there would be no problem with additional 4GB disc capacity for an additional city. But I'd prefer fleshing out Central City before adding another "half" city that does not live up to DC lore. Problem is: this "fleshing out" does not generate income, so they won't (sadly). Second problem: If they put it into a new DLC, the "elitists" would expect the new City to be T5+++ and there's not much exploring to do then for 80% of players. The momentary marketing pitch of SOE is to push new, higher levelled gear with every new DLC instead of adding a pack for additional T1-T4 fun (which would make the grind less repetitive - but also cost sales in replay badges ;) ).

Marketing aside, I'd love to see Fawcett City after Central City has been flashed out. Also, Gateway City could be nice.
    • Like x 3
  10. Fanatic New Player

Yes! I love to explore more areas are needed for sure.
    • Like x 1
  11. SuperiorMouse New Player

what's wrong with the existing 2 we have that no one is interested in? why would they be interested in a 3rd? how long would that interest last?

we don't need another city. we need unique open world environments like deserts the arctic forests and swamps. another city will look like like gotham and metro. it's a waste of time and resources.
  12. DaiKaiJu New Player

"I disapprove of what you say, but I respect your right to say it"
    • Like x 1
  13. SuperiorMouse New Player

what i said wasn't actually the important part of my post. i was making a point and that is what is important in what i said.

we have 2 identical cities (except time of day) that no one wants to be in now. why would we need or want a 3rd one? what makes anyone think that we need another city? what do you expect this new city to do for the game? new is sort of relative because it'll be at most a reskinned version of metro or gotham. so. when you say you want a new city... i suspect you want something actually new to explore that will feel new and won't be the same old city you've flown through a million times. that suggests a dramatically new environment.
    • Like x 2
  14. Daemonic Visions Committed Player

This is why you won't get a new city.

MOAR RAM

The PS3 can only muster so much being as old as it is, and the DCUO Devs have to think creatively just to give us more powers, so what about a grand spanking city? ya...PS3 players would rage on no end about the lag and not being able to see anything going on more than they do already.

Want more DC cities? you have to cut a cord.

So we're stuck with what we have, I am fine with Gotham Wasteland for now, only wished it had Lairs and Exobites for me to farm.
    • Like x 1
  15. DaiKaiJu New Player

Lets say you are born in New York City...
    That's a big city, and for some people they either never get tired of it, or they want to move on to something new, like we all do.
    But if you grow up in a small town and are there most of your life........ your ready most times for something new, depending on who you are.

I get the whole "If you've seen it once.." Concept cause I know will be a reskin. I'm not trying to ask for a Forrest and a mountian like you suggested, because this is not Skyrim..... but i want a different pattern. something I haven't seen.
    Atlanta and New York have some similar concepts but they are different layout.
    Pokemon is the same formula of eight gyms then E4. But it's something new I haven't done or seen. That all...

An new city or two in the future could not hurt DCUO. if fact the alerts are based someplace new and it's neat, so what wrong with a new Exobite farming area? or a new area for Bounties?

Nothing I say... all good things in time........
    Besides.... asking can't hurt our chances, Right?
  16. Miss Martiam New Player

Open World is such a waste of opportunity in the game , r. i . p
  17. CCBatson Dedicated Player

I would think a "Pocket City" like how Fawcett was kept for over 60 years in a permanent "Pulp" era would be doable. It's like a bigger version of an instanced location, like the Gotham Wastes are.

I really have a thing for vintage clothing, cars, architecture, and Golden Age heroes; so Fawcett would be my dream DLC add-on. :D
    • Like x 3
  18. Eranthis New Player

I would just like more cities to fly and grab exo's and for i can plant a base there ..... that would be all .
    • Like x 1
  19. SuperiorMouse New Player

you've got the right idea. but here's the problem with your distinguishing between atlanta and nyc... they're real and have actual personalities and landmarks. metropolis and gotham are the most distinct cities in DCComics but there just isn't enough distinct factual knowledge about those two cities that distinguishes them from eachother aside from the few landmarks we actually have in the game. now, when we get to other DC Comics cities there's even less unique about them. so again, i ask what would make this 3rd city distinct and not a reskin of the other 2 we have? the flash museum is pretty much the only recognizable landmark from central city. there's not enough to make a full city from.

IF we ever got a 3rd city (this has been brought up many many times before over the years) it would be dramatically different from gotham and metro. most likely it would be Atlantis but even Fawcett City with it's art deco architecture would offer a visually distinct experience.

but as for your last point about it not hurting the game... well everything added to the game has an effect. one day someone thought up replay badges and thought the same thing. lol adding another city could have effects on the population. it could create lag on the ps3. it could further segment the shrinking population (making the game appear emptier than it is)... there's a lot to consider with these things. a lot of times people ask for things and not realize how complex it may actually be to do. or they don't understand why they can't have it in the game already. the important thing to realize is that the devs aren't stupid. they read the forums and they want the game to be great so if they haven't done something it's always for a reason. either they can't (budge?) or it would have an adverse reaction on the game somehow or it's in the works down the road usually.

so when i asked you those questions it wasn't to shoot you down, it was to get you to consider what you really want when you ask for this. and you did... you said you want something that feels really new to explore because you're bored with the cities -- and a 3rd one probably isn't going to fix that. so they'd need to add something else like Atlantis to really make you happy.
    • Like x 1
  20. Archangel Rafael New Player

I keep hearing the "PS3 RAM" thing. I don't really think this is how it works. The city is in storage, not RAM, until you load into it (hence the loading screen) . So I don't know why we couldn't have 5, 8, 10 cities available. They're all just environment zones of different sizes. You only load 1 into RAM at a time. If this weren't the case, the PS3 wouldn't fit Metro and Gotham at the same time. I mean.. Im a computer science major. I think I know what Im talking about here.

Now if it's a matter of PS3 hard-drive space being limited, that's a lot more sensible to me. However, every new environment we add increases needed HD space. Doesn't matter if it's a city or a jungle or a swamp, anything with a bunch of new art assets would hog up more HD space. DCUO sits at 22Gb on drive now.

I believe this is what Gotham Wastelands is so mono-tone and repetitive. There really aren't many different art assets to make that place. The upcoming MOGO looks like it has a lot of art-asset repetition too.

Id love to see any or all of the DC cities, Keystone, Fawcett, Coast etc make appearances in DC but I think the devs know that.
    • Like x 3